Can I use iCloud Photo Library (device optimization) + DropBox?

I

iMore Question

iCloud Photo Library (device optimization) + DropBox?

I am pretty stoked on the idea of iCloud Photo Library -- specifically the "device optimized" version... however, I also don't fully trust the service as it's still beta. As a result I am currently using my DropBox Pro subscription mainly for photo backups. At the moment, I'm using both iCloud Photo Library -- the "full resolution" version, though -- and DropBox simultaneously on my iPhone.

If I decide on-device space is more important, and switch to the optimized version of iCloud Photo Library, can I safely assume that DropBox will then be uploading the optimized versions of my photos?

Anyone have any first-hand experience with this?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: iCloud Photo Library (device optimization) + DropBox?

I do not know, but I'd like to think that Dropbox would upload the photos as-is because it would benefit them by giving them an opportunity to sell more storage space. Still, I'm only *speculating*.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
iCloud Photo Library (device optimization) + DropBox?

I don't fool with iCloud Photo Library. It takes my free 5 gb if iCloud storage.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: iCloud Photo Library (device optimization) + DropBox?

Both upload as is. I prefer OneDrive method because if you have device optimized on you have to download the full file to do anything to it. So you end up wasting MORE device storage and you're still reliant on an Internet connection. You also cannot delete from phone and keep in cloud storage.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods