iCloud and photo questions

bed269

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Let me say first that last weekend I went and got an ipad air 2. It is my first ipad I've ever owned. Absolutely love it. It is truly amazing how little I use my laptop now.
I have probably spent more time on iMore than the people that work here. I have lived in the forums for hours some days and I want to say this is the most helpful community I have ever seen. Everything from how to setup icloud and get photos showing up on my ipad to transferring contacts from google to icloud have been extremely helpful.

The best I can tell from reading here is icloud in relation to photos is a syncing device among your different devices. It is not a cloud storage for your photos like onedrive, dropbox, etc. Am I correct in this assumption?

I currently use google+. After a period of time I will delete my old photos off my 5s and have the google+ app to look at old photos. If I delete old photos off my phone are they deleted out of my icloud account?

The problem with google+ that I have found is if I use Photo Booth and take pics with the ipad it won't upload until it syncs with my phone and puts the pic into all photos on my phone.

kurpaige

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Good question. Not sure anyone will have a good answer for you cause not sure apple is 100% sure how iCloud is handling photos lol

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore, and congratulations on getting your new iPad Air 2 device. As for your question, if you delete photos from your "Camera Roll", they will have no effect on the photos backed up to iCloud or the photos stored via iCloud Drive, however, if you have the "Photo" option via the iCloud website as depicted in the below screenshot then the photo(s) will be removed from there.

Screen_Shot_2014-11-16_at_12_18_25_PM.png

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Each time you back up your photos to iCloud, it backs up what you currently have on your camera roll. If you delete a photo, then do another back up, your photo will no longer be in your iCloud back up. It will remain there as long as you don't back up again. If you have Auto back up turned on for iCloud, then you may lose a deleted photo after it backs up . iCloud Drive, iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Sharing are different.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

eseerc

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Good question. Not sure anyone will have a good answer for you cause not sure apple is 100% sure how iCloud is handling photos lol

Amen to this, lol. In my opinion, iCloud is **syncing** service, it is not a **storage** service as you may be accustomed to with Dropbox, etc.

If you have some time, I highly recommend Microsoft OneDrive as a solution for you. Within the app, there are settings to auto-upload photos you take and once uploaded to OneDrive, they are there for viewing even after you delete the photo from your iPad's camera roll.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I appreciate everyone's replies.

Really hope Apple comes up with a cloud storage for photos.

iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Sharing are both photo storage. But the space they take goes against your iCloud back up space. You get 5 free gb of iCloud storage. That's for back up, photo Library, and photo sharing. If you need more, you have to buy more space. That's why I don't use iCloud Photo Library. I need my 5 free gb for back up. So I use Dropbox, Box and OneDrive for photo storage.

eseerc

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Sharing are both photo storage.

I have to respectfully disagree.... iCloud photo library and iCloud photo sharing are merely **syncing** services, to have all of your photos on all of your devices. The photos are still (and always) stored locally on your phone. I think the concept of "storage" is a gross misconception of how IPL works and is quite misleading of Apple. When you delete a picture from your phone, it is deleted across all of your connected devices. There is no choice to "store" a photo in the cloud, but have access to it on on select devices.

I love Apple's hardware... however their philosophy for "the cloud" is not for me.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have to respectfully disagree.... iCloud photo library and iCloud photo sharing are merely **syncing** services, to have all of your photos on all of your devices. The photos are still (and always) stored locally on your phone. I think the concept of "storage" is a gross misconception of how IPL works and is quite misleading of Apple. When you delete a picture from your phone, it is deleted across all of your connected devices. There is no choice to "store" a photo in the cloud, but have access to it on on select devices.

I love Apple's hardware... however their philosophy for "the cloud" is not for me.

I've had photos stored in iCloud photo sharing since January of 2013. They are still there. My Photo Stream is for syncing to other devices. iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Sharing are for storage. They will, however, take up iCloud space. So that 5 gb won't last long. Actually, iCloud Photo Sharing is for sharing photos with family in one place. It is a storage that is shared. You can create albums.
iCloud Photo Library:
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT6378
iCloud Photo Sharing:
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202786
My Photo Stream:
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201317

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner