Slow Sync On iCloud Drive

NoleScream

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone else tried to do an initial sync of a lot of files? I have 20k + files, that I moved to iCloud Drive and it seemed to be moving along okay last night, but at some point hung up. I restarted my machine this morning and now when I check the iCloud icon it continues to sit at 17k + "updating". I wish there was a progress bar, or something else to let me know what it was doing. :) It seems like it's going through the drive when I check my processes (iCloud Drive is using about 4% of the processor constantly) and just hasn't started uploading again.

Any thoughts? Anyone else experiencing this on Windows?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't know. Depending on the size of the files, it can take a long time. I'm not sure if there's a timeout mechanism on Apple's side or what. You may try rebooting to see if the process picks up where it appeared to have left off and stopped.

NoleScream

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't know. Depending on the size of the files, it can take a long time. I'm not sure if there's a timeout mechanism on Apple's side or what. You may try rebooting to see if the process picks up where it appeared to have left off and stopped.

Yep, I rebooted everything and I finally got it going again with a small sample. About 50 files went relatively quickly this morning. I'll try the 20k tonight, when I sync my photos backup to the iCloud Drive folder. I figure that will be an all nighter, but we'll see. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with it. The iCloud.com interface is fine so far.

NoleScream

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Well this is just a mess. Didn't upload most of my files overnight. 3 Gigs out of 50. And I cannot delete the folder from the iCloud website even after uninstalling iCloud on my PC.

NoleScream

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Upon more testing it seems like iCloud Drive doesn't like a deep tree structure. I was finally able to delete folders one at a time working back towards the root. Once that was cleaned up I started copying over from my PC in a simplified structure about 10 folders at a time. It seems to be working for now.

NoleScream

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I realize I'm talking to myself but hopefully this will help someone in the future with a Windows setup and iCloud Drive.

iCloud Control Panel and the iCloud Drive process are 32-bit applications and thus, don't seem to like trying to sync too many files at once. If you have a large amount of files (IE I had 20k+ pictures and over 60 gigs of data between that and video) you'll need to break it down into chunks and let iCloud finish updating the data before you move on. (You can check this by clicking on the iCloud icon in the system tray), it will report if there are any items left to update. If it doesn't say anything it's finished updating.)

Also, the behavior of it is odd and sort of slow. It could just be my laptop, but iCloud Drive seems to check the files or something before it uploads them.It's not an immediate upload. I watched the system monitor after dragging 10 folders to the iCloud Drive folder. The Disk usage is steady and runs long, the network usage is near 0 until the disk usage stops for the iCloud Drive process at which point the files are sent up to iCloud indicated by anywhere from 10-15 Mbps network traffic.

So be patient with it, it does work. It's just not particular fast, nor does it like to sync large amounts of files in one sitting.

NoleScream

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
One more update with this. I finally got so frustrated with iCloud Drive's slowness from my PC that I ditched it entirely and bought a year of Dropbox. I'd love to be all Apple, but it just wasn't working well enough. Maybe when the photo stuff is ready for prime time, iCloud Drive will work better. I'm open to using it if it improves, but right now it's not worth the effort.

MacLorenz

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
i had more or less the same problems, it's not perfect like dropbox yet but I'm sure it's gonna grow up fast.
the worst thing for me is the file size limit of 250Mb (i think) and the unstable download/upload speed.
i don't know if it's a 32bit/64bit app problem, since on my mac all the process is 64bit and it doesn't like "bunch of files" either.

Just remember that until the new OsX Yosemite is released this is basically a beta, even on pc, even if it call itself 1.0.

NoleScream

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I will definitely give it another look when my Dropbox subscription is due. Although that's been such a pleasure, Apple is going to have to really wow me.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR