Apple doesn't get it

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
No, honestly I don't care as long as I can use their hardware with my chosen service. I just think they're missing out and surrendering too much of market to Google by having services that doesn't really play well with others. Look at FaceTime, for example, it only works on iOS. A few years ago, this would provide an incentive for someone to buy an Apple product so that they could video chat for free with other Apple owners; now, all it does is providing an incentive for an iPad owner to install Google Hangouts so that they could video chat with anybody and have free phone calls on top. So what does Apple gain by that ?

Apple devices sell like hotcakes. They're not missing anything. Again, I keep saying this, but I'll once again repeat it. For Apple it's NOT about the services...it's about the hardware. If they sell their own hardware, that's their goal. Opening iCloud cross-platform hurts that goal; that's why they don't do it.

FaceTime also works on Macs.

Amamba

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Apple devices sell like hotcakes. They're not missing anything. Again, I keep saying this, but I'll once again repeat it. For Apple it's NOT about the services...it's about the hardware. If they sell their own hardware, that's their goal. Opening iCloud cross-platform hurts that goal; that's why they don't do it.

FaceTime also works on Macs.

"According to Gartner, Samsung more than quadrupled its total tablet sales over the last year, going from just 8.6 million sold to end users in 2012 to 37.4 million sold in 2013. This has helped Android’s share of the tablet market rise from 45.8% in 2012 to 61.9% in 2013 while Apple’s share has fallen from 52.8% all the way down to 36%."

From here

iOS Android tablet market share: Samsung puts Android over the top | BGR

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
How many tabs run Android?
How many tabs run iOS?

The second table shows Apple as #1 in tablet sales by vendor.

The first table shows Android as #1 by operating system based on 5 different vendors vs Apple as one vendor.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
"According to Gartner, Samsung more than quadrupled its total tablet sales over the last year, going from just 8.6 million sold to end users in 2012 to 37.4 million sold in 2013. This has helped Android’s share of the tablet market rise from 45.8% in 2012 to 61.9% in 2013 while Apple’s share has fallen from 52.8% all the way down to 36%."

Again, you don't get it. Apple's not about selling the most of anything. Those that don't understand Apple's view, or really listen to them, think it's about market share. I can also show you stats that show market share doesn't mean much to Apple - Tim Cook's said it many times. Revenue blows away everything else out there right now. Part of what drives the revenue is iCloud - as a binding mechanism to keep folks locked into the platform. Again, you may say you prefer a more open iCloud, but why would Apple change when the revenue is huge?

Amamba

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Again, you don't get it. Apple's not about selling the most of anything. Those that don't understand Apple's view, or really listen to them, think it's about market share. I can also show you stats that show market share doesn't mean much to Apple - Tim Cook's said it many times. Revenue blows away everything else out there right now. Part of what drives the revenue is iCloud - as a binding mechanism to keep folks locked into the platform. Again, you may say you prefer a more open iCloud, but why would Apple change when the revenue is huge?

"Perhaps more importantly, ABI's research found that tablets running Android are finally approaching Apple's offerings in terms of revenue generated. The overall tablet market for the second quarter of 2013 reached $12.7 billion in value. Of that, the iPad represented 50 percent of worldwide end-user revenues, the first time that has happened, according to ABI."

Android overtakes Apple's iPad in tablet marketshare, approaches in revenue earned

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
The key fact is Android Tabs as a collective. There is no one Android offering doing iPad business. Apple isn't losing money. Apple is going to keep their model tight instead of having a open OS that's all over the place being run on junk product. A friend of mine bought a Android Tab at a Pharmacy. I said to him what the hell is this? A lot folks are buy these junk tabs. When Apple breaks even on the iPad like Amazon does on the Kindle Fire then there is a problem.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Android "overtaking" Apple's iPad? Android is an operating system. It's exactly what iEd said. Apple produces one tablet that runs their OS. Android is on almost anything that calls itself a tablet.

Amamba

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Android "overtaking" Apple's iPad? Android is an operating system. It's exactly what iEd said. Apple produces one tablet that runs their OS. Android is on almost anything that calls itself a tablet.

The point is, that Android revenue comes straight out of Apple potential revenue. It's almost a zero sum game - when someone needs a tablet, they won't buy two, they will buy only one, and if it's an Android, it's not an Apple. You could argue that people buying $239 Nexii and Kindles wouldn't spend $400 on an iPad; but they have an opportunity which they didn't have a couple years ago - I wonder how many iPad 1 owners would end up buying an Android if they had that much choice; then there are people buying $400+ Galaxy and Transformers, and there's more of them each year.

It's like when Lexus, Acura and Infinity came - they almost killed Cadillac and made a sizable dent in sales of German luxury cars.

Anyway, I am not knocking Apple. I did switch from Android, basically because of Apple reputation for hardware quality. Another big thing was that there was no good Android competitors for rMini - if I was looking for 10" tablet I may have ended up with something else. But begin able to compare both ecosystems, I do think that Apple shouldn't just rest on laurels; others, especially Google are actively pushing for an interconnected world where every device talk to every other device and service, other hardware is quickly catching up, and Apple doesn't want to be locked out by providing devices with built in limitations in face of maturing competition. Don't forget, the entire tablet market is just a few years old, and landscape today is already very different than it was just 3 years ago.

Just my two cents. Peace ;)

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
The point is, that Android revenue comes straight out of Apple potential revenue.

Not necessarily. Apple revenue is derived from different models and sources than Android revenue. It's long known Google doesn't make any real money off Android, any more than they make money over running Gmail. It's the eyeballs on ads that make them money.

Kashan Osama

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
same was the situation of BB at a time,they didn't want a change to keep their userbase happy,and look where they are now? I am talking a bit OTT here but still OP has a point IMHO...They have everything,they have got the userbase,a well polished user-experience,and a great eco-system,they certainly can build on it...the world is not going to remain fast-forward 10 years,and we will see the one who keeps evolving itself,diversifying carefully (BUT not TOO slowly,like which Apple is doing past 2011) without compromising on User experience...OP is quite right Apple has the opportunity,to have it all,to steal it all in 5 years or so,but their progress is painfully slow...the same arguments which fanboys are giving were also given back in 2006 or so by BB fans...and now look at them....

Amamba

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Not necessarily. Apple revenue is derived from different models and sources than Android revenue. It's long known Google doesn't make any real money off Android, any more than they make money over running Gmail. It's the eyeballs on ads that make them money.

If someone buys an Android tablet, they don't buy an Apple, it's very simple. When it's a tablet that most people buy once every 2-3 years, - if someone bought a competing product, they won't buy yours in another 2-3 years, and chances if they have a good experience they will stay with a competing system. And worse else (for Apple) the young kids now are getting tablets in schools, and many if not most parents are going for cheaper Android tablet for them, so as the kids grow up they are getting used to and invested into Android. If I ran Apple, I'd be providing major incentives to schools, to counter that exposure.
As I said, it's a zero sum game.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
If someone buys an Android tablet, they don't buy an Apple, it's very simple. When it's a tablet that most people buy once every 2-3 years, - if someone bought a competing product, they won't buy yours in another 2-3 years, and chances if they have a good experience they will stay with a competing system. And worse else (for Apple) the young kids now are getting tablets in schools, and many if not most parents are going for cheaper Android tablet for them, so as the kids grow up they are getting used to and invested into Android. If I ran Apple, I'd be providing major incentives to schools, to counter that exposure.
As I said, it's a zero sum game.
90% of the world runs Windows computers, and nobody will touch their phones, or tablets ... so much for that theory. We gave my sister-in-law a Galaxy Tab 7.2 for her birthday in September which she liked. My nieces husband then gave her in January his old iPad 3 she raves about how awesome it is, and kicked the Galaxy Tab to the curb ...

Amamba

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
90% of the world runs Windows computers, and nobody will touch their phones, or tablets ... so much for that theory. We gave my sister-in-law a Galaxy Tab 7.2 for her birthday in September which she liked. My nieces husband then gave her in January his old iPad 3 she raves about how awesome it is, and kicked the Galaxy Tab to the curb ...

Windows tablets are great, but they came too late, are too expensive ($900 if you want a fast one) and too obscure without real push from MS.

And tablet market isn't really connected to computer market.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods