Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree58Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #51  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts

Default Re: Apple doesn't get it

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Android "overtaking" Apple's iPad? Android is an operating system. It's exactly what iEd said. Apple produces one tablet that runs their OS. Android is on almost anything that calls itself a tablet.
    The point is, that Android revenue comes straight out of Apple potential revenue. It's almost a zero sum game - when someone needs a tablet, they won't buy two, they will buy only one, and if it's an Android, it's not an Apple. You could argue that people buying $239 Nexii and Kindles wouldn't spend $400 on an iPad; but they have an opportunity which they didn't have a couple years ago - I wonder how many iPad 1 owners would end up buying an Android if they had that much choice; then there are people buying $400+ Galaxy and Transformers, and there's more of them each year.

It's like when Lexus, Acura and Infinity came - they almost killed Cadillac and made a sizable dent in sales of German luxury cars.

Anyway, I am not knocking Apple. I did switch from Android, basically because of Apple reputation for hardware quality. Another big thing was that there was no good Android competitors for rMini - if I was looking for 10" tablet I may have ended up with something else. But begin able to compare both ecosystems, I do think that Apple shouldn't just rest on laurels; others, especially Google are actively pushing for an interconnected world where every device talk to every other device and service, other hardware is quickly catching up, and Apple doesn't want to be locked out by providing devices with built in limitations in face of maturing competition. Don't forget, the entire tablet market is just a few years old, and landscape today is already very different than it was just 3 years ago.

Just my two cents. Peace
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    525 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Amamba View Post
    The point is, that Android revenue comes straight out of Apple potential revenue.
    Not necessarily. Apple revenue is derived from different models and sources than Android revenue. It's long known Google doesn't make any real money off Android, any more than they make money over running Gmail. It's the eyeballs on ads that make them money.
    --
    iPhone 5s Space Gray 64GB (AT&T), iPad 3 LTE 64GB (AT&T), MacBook Air 13" (Mid-2011), Apple TVs Around the House, Time Capsule 3TB
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    485 Global Posts
    iOS Version

same was the situation of BB at a time,they didn't want a change to keep their userbase happy,and look where they are now? I am talking a bit OTT here but still OP has a point IMHO...They have everything,they have got the userbase,a well polished user-experience,and a great eco-system,they certainly can build on it...the world is not going to remain fast-forward 10 years,and we will see the one who keeps evolving itself,diversifying carefully (BUT not TOO slowly,like which Apple is doing past 2011) without compromising on User experience...OP is quite right Apple has the opportunity,to have it all,to steal it all in 5 years or so,but their progress is painfully slow...the same arguments which fanboys are giving were also given back in 2006 or so by BB fans...and now look at them....
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #54  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by impaler View Post
    Not necessarily. Apple revenue is derived from different models and sources than Android revenue. It's long known Google doesn't make any real money off Android, any more than they make money over running Gmail. It's the eyeballs on ads that make them money.
    If someone buys an Android tablet, they don't buy an Apple, it's very simple. When it's a tablet that most people buy once every 2-3 years, - if someone bought a competing product, they won't buy yours in another 2-3 years, and chances if they have a good experience they will stay with a competing system. And worse else (for Apple) the young kids now are getting tablets in schools, and many if not most parents are going for cheaper Android tablet for them, so as the kids grow up they are getting used to and invested into Android. If I ran Apple, I'd be providing major incentives to schools, to counter that exposure.
    As I said, it's a zero sum game.
    Kashan Osama likes this.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    628 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Amamba View Post
    If someone buys an Android tablet, they don't buy an Apple, it's very simple. When it's a tablet that most people buy once every 2-3 years, - if someone bought a competing product, they won't buy yours in another 2-3 years, and chances if they have a good experience they will stay with a competing system. And worse else (for Apple) the young kids now are getting tablets in schools, and many if not most parents are going for cheaper Android tablet for them, so as the kids grow up they are getting used to and invested into Android. If I ran Apple, I'd be providing major incentives to schools, to counter that exposure.
    As I said, it's a zero sum game.
    90% of the world runs Windows computers, and nobody will touch their phones, or tablets ... so much for that theory. We gave my sister-in-law a Galaxy Tab 7.2 for her birthday in September which she liked. My nieces husband then gave her in January his old iPad 3 she raves about how awesome it is, and kicked the Galaxy Tab to the curb ...
    Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous ...
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #56  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Not Quite Right View Post
    90% of the world runs Windows computers, and nobody will touch their phones, or tablets ... so much for that theory. We gave my sister-in-law a Galaxy Tab 7.2 for her birthday in September which she liked. My nieces husband then gave her in January his old iPad 3 she raves about how awesome it is, and kicked the Galaxy Tab to the curb ...
    Windows tablets are great, but they came too late, are too expensive ($900 if you want a fast one) and too obscure without real push from MS.

And tablet market isn't really connected to computer market.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123