iCloud Mail and Ads

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone think Apple will ever implement ads into their web based iCloud solution? iCloud Mail is literally the only web based mail platform that does not server up ads alongside email. With the talk of Google flooding Gmail users with ads through their Android platform, I thought of the possibility for Apple. I understand that Google is an advertising company that ventured into services and software, but with if Apple would venture into advertising beyond simple iAds.

Thought?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I sure hope not. It is the ONE email service that I do not mind logging onto via a web browser to compose and/or read emails. They definitely don't need the money.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Does anyone think Apple will ever implement ads into their web based iCloud solution? iCloud Mail is literally the only web based mail platform that does not server up ads alongside email. With the talk of Google flooding Gmail users with ads through their Android platform, I thought of the possibility for Apple. I understand that Google is an advertising company that ventured into services and software, but with if Apple would venture into advertising beyond simple iAds.

Thought?

I don't see hem doing this. Their revenue to run iCloud is provided by their hardware sales. I can see why Google does this, as an advertising company first. iCloud mail have reliability and silent filtering issues that make it tough to recommend to anyone, even with all Apple devices, but overall they are seeking a beautiful and integrated solution, which works for average folks quite well.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't see hem doing this. Their revenue to run iCloud is provided by their hardware sales. I can see why Google does this, as an advertising company first. iCloud mail have reliability and silent filtering issues that make it tough to recommend to anyone, even with all Apple devices, but overall they are seeking a beautiful and integrated solution, which works for average folks quite well.

I agree they could improve the mail service by offering some sort of filtering.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
iCloud filtering exists... Log on via the web interface... Open the Mail panel, click the settings cog, select rules... And the options are every bit as robust as any Outlook server based filtering I've ever used...and works just as well.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I agree they could improve the mail service by offering some sort of filtering.

They offer filtering, both on the website and OS X Mail.

I'm talking about the silent filtering of both inbound and outbound messages, with no indication to the user what is filtered. It got quite a bit of attention last spring, and as usual, Apple's been pretty silent about it. Junk should be placed in junk, not deleted without us knowing. Makes it impossible to know about an email you never received.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
iCloud filtering exists... Log on via the web interface... Open the Mail panel, click the settings cog, select rules... And the options are every bit as robust as any Outlook server based filtering I've ever used...and works just as well.

I saw that before, but I was speaking of simple domain blocking like that of gmail or "sweeping" like Outlook. Where you are at the email itself and one click will let you filter it.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

Interesting. Most reviews find the rules very basic and lacking. For instance, you can only move messages or delete them. Gmail is definitely the gold standard for rules filtering, with many more options and more flexibility. Of course, iCloud isn't for power users in this regard. The client side is much more robust.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2