New to Apple-help me understand iCloud email

SWFLFFPM

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I am new to Apple-bought an iMac and 5s and am trying to integrate things into the ecosystem.

What is the advantage of an iCloud.com email address? If there are advantages I'll start switching things over.

Right now I have a comcast.net account and little things like marking items read or flags don't sync with my two devices. Would an iCloud email solve that?

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I would recommend getting a Gmail address. It offers much more than your Comcast account and it will also offer a lot more than an iCloud email account.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I am new to Apple-bought an iMac and 5s and am trying to integrate things into the ecosystem.
Congratulation on getting your new iMac...:)...I'm sure you will be quite pleased with it.

What is the advantage of an iCloud.com email address? If there are advantages I'll start switching things over.

1. If you have or plan to have other Apple products like an iPhone or iPad, the syncing between the devices is a cinch.
2. Works flawlessly with native Apple apps like Mail, Contacts, iCal, Notes as well as Pages, Numbers & Keynote.
3. The "Find My Mac" feature
4. Documents in the cloud

Right now I have a comcast.net account and little things like marking items read or flags don't sync with my two devices. Would an iCloud email solve that?
Yes, it would.

SWFLFFPM

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses.

What I am trying to figure out is what is different about iCloud EMail that would make it better than what I have now (Comcast).

jc-Isn't gmail tied to the Google ecosystem like iCloud is to Apple? What is the advantage there?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

What I am trying to figure out is what is different about iCloud EMail that would make it better than what I have now (Comcast).

jc-Isn't gmail tied to the Google ecosystem like iCloud is to Apple? What is the advantage there?

From that perspective, there is none. Still, I recommend you have at least a secondary account of some sort in case you no longer wish to use Comcast services or to give to department stores, etcetera.

Rolandh

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site

GMail syncs well between devices I use it and it syncs everything between the GMail website, GMail App on Android, Blackberry & even Outlook on Windows Phone & should even sync properly with iOS.

Roland

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I would recommend getting a Gmail address. It offers much more than your Comcast account and it will also offer a lot more than an iCloud email account.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

Yes true but gmail no longer offers exchange so instant email would not happen

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

If Comcast will not sync correctly etc . This is what I would do ..
Make a ICloud email
This will let you have instant push mail
I would then forward all your comcast email to the new one .. That way you get all your mail to one inbox and it will sync properly
I did this with my gmail when I lost the exchange option and it works flawless

SWFLFFPM

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

I already have a Yahoo for the junk stuff but I don't have, nor want, that sent to the phone.

My goal is to dive into the ecosystem but from what I am gathering here is iCloud doesn't have any advantages over other types of accounts.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

I already have a Yahoo for the junk stuff but I don't have, nor want, that sent to the phone.

My goal is to dive into the ecosystem but from what I am gathering here is iCloud doesn't have any advantages over other types of accounts.
You answered your own question. If you want to dive into the Apple ecosystem, then dive into the Apple ecosystem, and start using iCloud email. One advantage is that it seamlessly pushes & syncs email to all of iOS & OSX devices. Plus you get a way cooler sounding email address like SWFLFFPM@icloud.com. It instantly identifies you to others as an Apple snob (Like Me). :)

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

For full integration into the Apple ecosystem, you'd use iCloud.com email. I have been using iCloud, and its previous incarnations, MobileMe, .Mac and iTools, since 2000, and I have a .mac address that everyone knows, so I just don't want to change it. I also have a Gmail account as a backup. For me, fully into the Apple ecosystem, it better integrates and doesn't require separate setup...but any other email is easy enough to set up anyway.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen