iCloud Backup, Server Calculation.
I once asked a question of;
"Why doesn't Apple provide Free iCloud Backup as part of iPhone package?"
I got the answer;
"It simply doesn't scale"
So i did the maths,
Assuming they will have 500M devices "eligible" for free backup including iPad.
Assuming everyone will Backup 32GB of Data.
( Since OS and Apps, Music / Videos/ Podcast from iTunes wont be backup I think this should be enough for estimates )
This is 500M x 32GB, x 2 for Double Backup.
Taking a Storage Pod 3.0 with 45 x 4TB Hard Drives.
This would require 32,000,000 TB / 180 TB Servers
Requires ~180,000 Servers.
Compared to a Microsoft announced of having 1M servers this is very small. That is even excluding if ZFS can do deduplication. Not sure if that is possible to be done on such as large scale.
Seagate will have 6TB Drives Next Year.
I dont get the problem of scaling here.
- 07-18-2013, 03:32 AM #2
Re: iCloud Backup, Server Calculation.
Apple's backup solution may not appeal to everyone, but thankfully, there are options available to us. Dropbox, Box, Google Drive, Evernote, SkyDrive and others immediately come to mind that works with our iPhones, iPods, iPads and Macs.
- By iphoners in forum iOS 7Replies: 3Last Post: 09-17-2013, 05:23 AM
- By gordol in forum iPhone Apps & GamesReplies: 2Last Post: 07-16-2013, 08:40 PM
- By soren203 in forum iPhone 5Replies: 12Last Post: 07-04-2013, 11:20 PM
- By fatfury in forum iOS 7Replies: 6Last Post: 07-04-2013, 02:51 PM
- By pappy53 in forum Jailbreaking, Unlocking, Hacks, Themes & ModsReplies: 2Last Post: 07-03-2013, 03:33 PM