Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

1 Posts

Default iCloud Alias Name Change Confusion

Hi everyone,

I'm a first time poster on iMore, having recently converted from the CB side of things. I've had an iPod touch in the past, but once I got my first iPhone, I've never looked back. And now I have a question. I've searched all over to see if there's an answer but I'm not quite sure if this is the right place to ask or if this is even the right question.

I'm in the process of changing my name and I would like my email address to use my new name. I have Old.Name@gmail.com address that I've used for years and years as my primary email and that is also my Apple ID. When I got my iPhone, I got an Old.Name@icloud.com address. I recently discovered that you can't change your iCloud address; you can add an alias, which is sort of a stop-gap solution.

I figured I'd try New.Name@gmail.com, but alas, it's already taken (I'd like to meet them!). So I went ahead and made New.Name@icloud.com as an alias. Here's what I've discovered:

- My Apple ID is still Old.Name@gmail.com, which I cannot find a way to change. Apple doesn't seem to want to accept an iCloud email as your actual Apple ID.

- I set New.Name@icloud.com as my default email. Emails in the iOS app and the webmail site go and come by default from New.Name@icloud.com.

- My iCloud account webmail site still has Old Name listed as my name, even though my mail, when delivered, shows New Name.

- I am now unreachable via iMessage at old.name@icloud.com, only as old.name@gmail.com, new.name@icloud.com, and my phone number.

I am incredibly confused, as I feel like I made a much bigger mess than what I thought would just be a simple task. I would like to try and get rid of all traces of old.name@icloud.com and use new.name@icloud.com as my Apple ID if possible, without losing any of my purchases or history since I've had the account, which is probably about ten years now. Is there anything I can do to clean up this scenario?

Thanks for your help!

Default Re: iCloud Alias Name Change Confusion

After you've made the necessary changes to your Apple ID and made sure that your other information is correct, sign out of iCloud and the Apple Store with your current Apple ID and then sign in with your new one.