Need help setting up wife's iCloud

cpc12

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
My wife would like to have her photos and contacts backed up to iCloud.

She is currently using my apple ID for music and app purchases.

Is there a way that she can have a seperate iCloud account and still use my apple ID for purchases.

I did not want to set her up on mine because I don't want to share photo libraries and contacts.

What is the best way to do this. I've searched around but have not any specific info.

Thanks.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Just set up an iCloud account... and an AppleID for that account... but in settings>> iTunes & AppStores section, make sure your AppleID is still showing and all will be well.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes. Just create an iCloud account for her from the iCloud settings on her iPhone. If your Apple ID is setup via iCloud on "her" phone, simply delete it and then setup a new one for her. The Apple ID used for purchases will be unaffected.

Good OL MC

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, and from there you can use iCloud to sync photos back down to your PC (or Mac, I assume).

If you or your wife download the iCloud Control Panel, or the appropriate Mac equivalent, to your PC it will sync photos to your device and you can pull them out of there :)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
True, just don't count on the photos "living" in the cloud like contacts and calendars. That was my point.

cpc12

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I have 800 photos in my photo stream. Some are over 5 months old.

I'm not sure I understand the 1 month thing. Is this if you have over 1000 photos ?

Also when I take a picture it saves in camera roll and photo stream.

As long as my phone backs up via wifi ill always have my photos if they are deleted from photo stream ?

cpc12

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I just noticed that my photo stream has not updated/synced for over a week.

I deleted a bunch of photos. Had 750 now I have 600.

Any reason why they haven't synced.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I have 800 photos in my photo stream. Some are over 5 months old.

I'm not sure I understand the 1 month thing. Is this if you have over 1000 photos ?

Also when I take a picture it saves in camera roll and photo stream.

As long as my phone backs up via wifi ill always have my photos if they are deleted from photo stream ?

The point of photos in iCloud is as a vehicle to sync them to other devices (iOS, OS X or PC); and it?s not intended to be an archive storage site. In my case, I sync my photos with iPhoto on my Mac - within minutes (seconds?) of taking a photo on my iPhone (or my wife's iPhone or one of our iPads with PhotoStream enabled), they show up in iPhoto for safekeeping. And with TimeMachine backup in OS X and a raid network attached storage device, I have no fear of losing any photos.

I can?t speak to the "30 day" thing, but I remember hearing it at the presentation where PhotoStream was announced, and it is mentioned on Apple's website (see link above)... It?s really hard to tell, as you cannot access your photos from the iCloud.com website, so I can?t say for sure what is still there or what is on my various devices as a result of the PhotoStream sync... BTW, the iOS devices show photos synced via PhotoStream in a PhotoStream album - not sure if that meas anything relative to whether or not the photos are still in the iCloud - or if they?re just visible because they?ve been synced.

I hope that helped and didn?t confuse you more :)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I just noticed that my photo stream has not updated/synced for over a week.

I deleted a bunch of photos. Had 750 now I have 600.

Any reason why they haven't synced.

Can’t say for sure... but in my experience, anything synced via iCloud doesn’t show up on my iPad, for example, until the app is opened on the sync-target device. I have added calendar entries that won’t show up until I open the calendar app on my iPad.

Perhaps it’s something like that?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711