Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Global Posts
    19,328 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Benefits of switching from Gmail to iCloud for email??

Quote Originally Posted by murieljones5 View Post
    Is there really any benefit for switching to iCloud mail?
    Your question was answered in this very thread long before your post.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    220 Global Posts

Default Re: Benefits of switching from Gmail to iCloud for email??

I had all google accounts when I went with the Android phones. I converted all of my accounts to the iCloud. In reality there are only a very small amount of emails that I really need on a daily basis so, they were all notified of the icloud account. Therefore, on my iphone, I only have the icloud email account and my battery life is much better than if I had my iCloud and google accounts on it.

On my Ipad and Mac, I have the google accounts set up. So, when I get home from work I can read those emails.
    JustMe'D likes this.

Global Posts
    19,328 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by tech_fan View Post
    I had all google accounts when I went with the Android phones. I converted all of my accounts to the iCloud. In reality there are only a very small amount of emails that I really need on a daily basis so, they were all notified of the icloud account. Therefore, on my iphone, I only have the icloud email account and my battery life is much better than if I had my iCloud and google accounts on it.

On my Ipad and Mac, I have the google accounts set up. So, when I get home from work I can read those emails.
    Like you, when I made iCloud my primary account, I simply emailed the people in my contact list and advises them of the change and told them to make the necessary changes in their contact list / address books. None of the recipients complained and why would they? To those who really need to get in contact with me more than likely have my phone number. Anyway, thanks for the reply and have a great evening.
    iPhone Intermediate

I have totally switched over to an iCloud @me address, and haven't looked back. It does everything all the other clients do and it works seamlessly with my iMac and iPad.
    Apple built it, so it will work.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

I think Gmail is good. I am comfortable with it.
    Hitch your app to the top with well planned and executed iPhone app marketing strategy - Click here to know more about it!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,184 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 Beta 3

There is no benefit to doing something like that, unless you plan on being with Apple's iCloud service for the rest of your life. I think it would actually be smarter to stay with Gmail just to give yourself flexxibility when you want to say move to another platform.

Global Posts
    15,482 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

I switched from Gmail to iCloud.. Then switched back to Gmail a few weeks later....

Biggest issue was not on devices themselves.. It was the web browser experience from iCloud.com provides at this time...
    John Yester
    Moderator Team Leader, iMore.com

iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by John Yester View Post
    I switched from Gmail to iCloud.. Then switched back to Gmail a few weeks later....

Biggest issue was not on devices themselves.. It was the web browser experience from iCloud.com provides at this time...
    I've done the same thing with iCloud. Web interface on Windows is awful. However I have been trying Outlook.com for the last week and a half. Have gmail forwarded to it. I must say that it has been smooth. Push has been flawless. The web interface is 10 times better than gmail IMO. I have also imported all my google contact and calendar info to outlook.com as well. So far I am very happy with it. Like it better than gmail.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

I don't thing there is any benefit to switching gmail to iCloud mail.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,184 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 Beta 3

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguarr40 View Post
    I am a bit late on this thread but JustMe'D makes a good point but why not have both email accounts as you don't have to get rid of gmail and have the best of both worlds. That is what I did and you would be surprised how many people on here have multiply email accounts with a unified inbox if they are set up through your iPhone native email app.
    I would have to agree this would seem like the best solution. Unless you just have a yearning to have one or the other having both is not a problem at all. This is what I did for a while until switching back exclusively to Gmail.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

how do you mean?
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

None. iCloud email is severely lacking compared to Gmail / Google Apps. It's fine for average smartphone users who just want to quickly create and use an email account that works without any fuss on the iPhone while syncing contacts, calendars, etc.

If I was Mac exclusive then I would use iCloud for everything including contacts and calendars since there are native apps.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12