Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default iCloud Storage?

I currently am using 4.7 gb to back up my iPhone and using 185.2 mb on my iPad. I can't figure out why there is a difference that large. Any ideas? Also, what all does everyone store through iCloud? When I go to my backups it shows all my apps and I have majority of them turned off yet I still have so much storage being used. What all does iCloud store, if anything, that isn't being shown under my backup options? Thanks for any answers!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,201 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: iCloud Storage?

When you click on the backup from that device, it tells you what is using iCloud backup space and how much for each thing.
    iPhone Beginner

iOS Version

Default iCloud Storage?

Do what Garz told you.
    As you know the iOS-Filesystem provides data storage per app.
    So if you often use the 'Open in'-Command you will store data redundant on your device.
    It's up to you to look manually for these redundancies in the local app folders and delete them.

Additionally try the following procedure:
    Delete your iCloud-Backup and start a new Backup.
    I did this several times and it gave me about 1 GB back.
    I think the space you get is not only used for the pure data of your device but also for other information (history, ...).
    But I am not sure and up to now did not find any further information.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default iCloud Storage?

If I delete and start over, will I lose anything that I can't get back?

Global Posts
    20,847 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default iCloud Storage?

Quote Originally Posted by iBradA5 View Post
    If I delete and start over, will I lose anything that I can't get back?
    What do you mean by "delete" and what is it you're meaning to delete? If you mean reset your device and set it up as new again, then yes, your device will be wiped, iOS will be reinstalled and all of your 3rd party apps, music, photos and files will be gone. However, the apps that you've already purchased are readily available to be re-downloaded without cost to you via the "purchased" section of the App Store. Furthermore, you could always perform a backup prior to resetting your device and then restore from that backup afterwards.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default iCloud Storage?

Quote Originally Posted by iNotes4You View Post
    Delete your iCloud-Backup and start a new Backup.

Global Posts
    20,847 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default iCloud Storage?

If you delete your iCloud backups, that is all that will be lost. You can easily initiate a new backup.
    iPhone Beginner

iOS Version

Default iCloud Storage?

To delete an iCloud-Backup of your device go to
    Settings - iCloud - Storage & Backup - Manage Storage - <select your device>
    and tap on DELETE BACKUP.
    The iCloud-Backup of your device (no data, settings, apps or media on your device) will be deleted.
    Then go back to Storage & Backup and swipe 'iCloud Backup' to ON.
    Then tap on 'Back Up Now'. Compare your free space before this procedure with that after starting a new backup.
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default iCloud Storage?

Quote Originally Posted by iNotes4You View Post
    To delete an iCloud-Backup of your device go to
    Settings - iCloud - Storage & Backup - Manage Storage - <select your device>
    and tap on DELETE BACKUP.
    The iCloud-Backup of your device (no data, settings, apps or media on your device) will be deleted.
    Then go back to Storage & Backup and swipe 'iCloud Backup' to ON.
    Then tap on 'Back Up Now'. Compare your free space before this procedure with that after starting a new backup.
    I just did this on my phone twice, and both times it said backup incomplete. It would not finish for some reason. However, when I look at my storage, it is showing 3.3 gb on my iPhone yet it still says the last backup was incomplete. Thoughts?
    iPhone Beginner

iOS Version

Default iCloud Storage?

Quote Originally Posted by iBradA5 View Post
    I just did this on my phone twice, and both times it said backup incomplete. It would not finish for some reason. However, when I look at my storage, it is showing 3.3 gb on my iPhone yet it still says the last backup was incomplete. Thoughts?
    'Backup incomplete' occurs sometimes if you deleted a former backup. I had this message too, but after starting the backup again (one or two times) it worked.
    I don't know the reason may be its a problem when initializing a (first) backup on Apple's server.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,880 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Default iCloud Storage?

since the space difference is between your ☎ and your iPad. I would surmise that it might be your 📷 Roll? I know my wife keeps every damn picture in her 📷 roll so she was swamping the backup. We have two iPhones, an iPad and a Touch so it's got to serve a lot of masters.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)