Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    766 Global Posts

Default SkyDrive, Google Drive, and Apple????

Does anyone think Apple will build something similar to SkyDrive and Google Drive to compete? I know iCloud exists, but the functionality isn't even close. I would definitely upgrade my iCloud storage right now if it was more like a Dropbox service.
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,958 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I can't see it happening. But you know what they say, "Anything is possible..."
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    766 Global Posts

If Apple would allow users to view their photos and videos through iCloud and even possibly edit them with the same basic software that is found on the iPhone, I'd be sold.

Global Posts
    3,512 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I think we will see something come out eventually that directly competes. Apple still has a lot of work to do to make sure they have a solid cloud experience. I think once they get the kinks worked out we will see a iDisk reboot.
    jsntrenkler
    Mobile Gear: Retina Macbook Pro 13 / iPad Air / iPhone 5S / Pebble Smartwatch
    Community Rules & Guidelines

Global Posts
    5,901 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Steve Jobs apparently tried to buy Dropbox at some point but they wanted to remain independent. So at least the interest is there …
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    766 Global Posts

I remember reading about the purchase of Dropbox. Google went from $5 a year for 20gb and now have the monthly fee. Skydrive gives me 25gb for free with a yearly price to increase. Google Drive kinda blows. Come on Apple, make it happen!
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    6,423 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: SkyDrive, Google Drive, and Apple????

Quote Originally Posted by xmatter View Post
    I remember reading about the purchase of Dropbox. Google went from $5 a year for 20gb and now have the monthly fee. Skydrive gives me 25gb for free with a yearly price to increase. Google Drive kinda blows. Come on Apple, make it happen!
    I like Google Drive (I got grandfathered in on the $5/yr for 20GB) except for trying to access Google's spreadsheets on my iPad. It's was so frustrating that I bought Numbers.
    I have all of my Music, on Google Play, Documents on Drive and Photos (on Picasa).

Good Luck

Apple TV
    iPhone 5S
    iPad 2 Wi-Fi
    MacBook Air 13" Mid 2012 Mavericks 10.9.4
    Cigar Lover
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    766 Global Posts

I like Drive and grandfathered in to the 20GB as well, but want to start moving away from all Google services since they are integrating everything. I can't even have a YouTube account without G+. One key thing about Drive is that there is no size limit (that I experienced or read about)
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,378 Global Posts

i got 25gbs free on skydrive, 20 gbs free from box.net. So given that apple wants to charge for icloud they'd need a good free solution of the same gigabytes to even be in the conversation with me: ie 20gbs free icloud file storage.

And as for icloud's itunes match: i already got about 17k songs in Google play, again for free, that do the exact same thing as itunes in the cloud. And i'll never have to pay for it. And soon Google is adding "scan and match" so no more uploading. And i'll fill up the remaining 3k slots without having to upload. So for me the other services like skydrive, box, googleplay, google drive (don't really use) etc all offer better file solutions at a much better cost (no cash money).

Side note i don't think apple likes people messing with files. I'm was on macs a long time, then move to windows for 13 years but my parents still have macs. One thing i notices is in windows there's a file explore that's used often. you are expected from software to navigate to the file and open it. With Mac OS, they often seem to craft apps to minimize you actually having to find or remember where the actual file is. For example, if you let itunes manage your music, it will rename the file to something unintelligible, and resort it. Itunes assumes you have no interest in using that file again. Another example, is iphoto. I remember trying to tell my mother to email me a photo and i was telling her "just open gmail and drop the jpeg into the browser and it will add it to the email." But she kept saying, "it's in iphoto. I don't know where the actual file is." Come to find out that's just the way iphoto worked. It imported a photo from her camera but never told her where the file was. I may have renamed it something unintelligible too. I know that you CAN and do use actual files and that there is an actual file structure but i get the impression is that Apple's view has always been, "Our goal is to make it simplistic to use and to do that we'll do everything for you, like making it so you don't need to mess with those pesky actual files like those windows cretins." And notice that with icloud there's no real way to get at the files your storing. I don't think they want you touching files.

because of this i sometimes wonder if it's even in there makeup to think about users wanting to store actual files. And so even though they are said to have tried to buy dropbox i still wonder if they are wired to think these things are even a good idea.
    "What does America make? Hmmmm...Does diabetes count as a product?"
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    766 Global Posts

I have signed up for several free cloud storage services, but tend to use SkyDrive (25GB), Google Drive (20GB), and MediaFire (50GB). I am one who likes to have a single place to signon and have everything there, ex: email, calendar, storage... Since I am starting to use my ME and ICLOUD email accounts, it made me think about the post you are reading.