Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    713 Global Posts

Default Anyone use an Apple Email Address

Not sure if this is the right forum so I apologize in advance. I currently have my @me address and do not use it as a "regular/daily" address. I would like to eventually but wanted to know if anyone out there does? and actually prefer it over gmail, live, yahoo, etc... Any if you do...... what are your reasons?

Thanks!
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,321 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I have an icloud.com email address but online it is S L O W, not worth the hassle. Stick with Gmail, Yahoo etc. especially if in the eventuality you switch devices\OS' in years to come...

Global Posts
    17,409 Global Posts
    iOS Version

My @iCloud account is my "primary" email account and I'm thoroughly satisfied with it. My messages arrive in a very fast manner, my notes, calendar, contacts & reminders sync almost instantly with my i-devices and I have no complaints. I still have my other email accounts and I use each for various things. In my opinion, the @iCloud email account should suffice but like Navi stated, if you're satisfied with Gmail, just keep it and configure your device(s) accordingly.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    713 Global Posts

Default Re: Anyone use an Apple Email Address

Quote Originally Posted by naviwilliams View Post
    I have an icloud.com email address but online it is S L O W, not worth the hassle. Stick with Gmail, Yahoo etc. especially if in the eventuality you switch devices\OS' in years to come...
    I agree with it being slow and also switching devices in the future. I do like the email service and the other services mentioned by JustMe'D and I am growing tired of Google's integration of all services into one. Just wanted to know other's thoughts. I have about 30 email addresses through various web services, just never gave Apple's service a decent chance.
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,321 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I just went to test me email account (icloud) and it is not working, all emails TO it fail. But email sent from it are working. Weird...
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    713 Global Posts

that's odd. maybe it has to do with the @me vs. @icloud conversion?

Anyone know if there is a way to change letters from lowercase to UPPERCASE on an existing @me account. I doubt it, but figured I'd ask.

Global Posts
    5,068 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    My @iCloud account is my "primary" email account and I'm thoroughly satisfied with it. My messages arrive in a very fast manner, my notes, calendar, contacts & reminders sync almost instantly with my i-devices and I have no complaints. I still have my other email accounts and I use each for various things. In my opinion, the @iCloud email account should suffice but like Navi stated, if you're satisfied with Gmail, just keep it and configure your device(s) accordingly.
    Agreed mine seems to be fast enough and stable and you get push email without having to set up gmail as exchange.

I used to mainly use gmail but it is starting to get overwhelmed with spam-or at least newsletters, offers, receipts, etc so I use my iCloud email strictly for friends and family.

Global Posts
    5,068 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Quote Originally Posted by xmatter View Post
    that's odd. maybe it has to do with the @me vs. @icloud conversion?

Anyone know if there is a way to change letters from lowercase to UPPERCASE on an existing @me account. I doubt it, but figured I'd ask.
    I think you can set up an alias.

Global Posts
    5,068 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Also for those who are worried about losing iCloud email if you switch off of Apple devices that shouldn't be an issue because you can set up iCloud email as an ordinary IMAP account.

You wouldn't get all the integrations mentioned above but email would be fine.
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    713 Global Posts

Tried the alias route and that's a no go. Not a big deal though, just wanted to capitalize first and last initial in my email.

Global Posts
    17,409 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by naviwilliams View Post
    I just went to test me email account (icloud) and it is not working, all emails TO it fail. But email sent from it are working. Weird...
    That is odd. Last week, I believe, many people were receiving email from Apple alerting us that we could use either our @me.com or our @icloud.com accounts. I take it you haven't received yours yet. The @icloud account was automatically made available to be used with FaceTime & iMessage, also. Furthermore, I've changed my settings to only send mail from @icloud.com instead of @me.com. Everything is working great.

Global Posts
    17,409 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Tried the alias route and that's a no go. Not a big deal though, just wanted to capitalize first and last initial in my email.
    Unless I'm missing the obvious, can you not login to and edit your current information to your liking?
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    713 Global Posts

I tried that an it does not let edit the email address itself. I will try again though
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    713 Global Posts

You can edit alternate email addresses to your liking, but my @me is my apple ID and primary email address. Any other thoughts?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    That is odd. Last week, I believe, many people were receiving email from Apple alerting us that we could use either our @me.com or our @icloud.com accounts. I take it you haven't received yours yet. The @icloud account was automatically made available to be used with FaceTime & iMessage, also. Furthermore, I've changed my settings to only send mail from @icloud.com instead of @me.com. Everything is working great.
    I use my @me and @icloud basically daily because it merge together. With that said I really love it so far.

Sent from my iP5 using Tapatalk
    If I helped you - Please hit that little +REP button
    It looks like an old-school scale next to the report button

> Blackberry Z10 - White - Verizon Wireless - Current <

>iPhone 6 - Next Device<

Global Posts
    5,068 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Email addresses are not case sensitive (as an email address not sure about when used as an Apple ID). So you could give out your email address with the caps and it would still get to you.

That's probably why the alias didn't work. It considered it the exact same as the original email address.
    impaler likes this.
  17. Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    713 Global Posts

Thanks for the reply. I know they are not case sensitive, just wanted to see if apple had a backdoor to allow users to change it for display purposes. Do you know if periods are allowed in creating a new iCloud email? And will they be by passed like gmail?

Global Posts
    5,068 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Thanks for the reply. I know they are not case sensitive, just wanted to see if apple had a backdoor to allow users to change it for display purposes. Do you know if periods are allowed in creating a new iCloud email? And will they be by passed like gmail?
    Periods are definitely allowed in the email because I have them in mine.

I just tested it by sending from my gmail to my .me and .icloud addresses without the periods and they bounced back. So apparently they are not bypassed.

Global Posts
    17,409 Global Posts
    iOS Version

You can edit alternate email addresses to your liking, but my @me is my apple ID and primary email address. Any other thoughts?
    No. If it won't allow you to edit your primary without totally re-creating it, then your only other option is to create an alternate which isn't a bad idea. My alternate Apple ID (used for email purposes) is tied to my primary ID. The only information I receive via my primary ID email address is from Apple only. I hope that made sense.
  20. Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    713 Global Posts

Thanks for testing that out Karen.

Justme'D: I have my Live account as an alternate for my ME account, but I can also sign is as my Live account and NOT see my ME account. Is that how it's suppose to be?
  21. Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    713 Global Posts

Update for the capitalization/changing email: I just created another Apple ID using a period and capitalizing two letters within it, end result, the email address displays in all lower case anyway. I was looking to create one that displays like my gmail address. So now I know it doesn't matter with an Apple email address. Thanks for all the help!!!!! It's greatly appreciated!
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,321 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Xmatter are you now going to use your @me.com and or @icloud.com email addresses as your primary?

I've been thinking the same thing. I managed to get my Contacts merged into it via export\import. Now I need to get my Calendar items synced, too.
  23. Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    713 Global Posts

I am currently trying to switch all my online items to my ME account. I don't really use the web to view emails anyway, so the sluggish doesn't really bother me.
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,321 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I've spent the afternoon switching from GMail to iCloud.
    famousrealtor likes this.
  25. Thread AuthorThread Author   #25  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    713 Global Posts

Think I will spend tomorrow raking through my emails to start the switch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast