Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Questions about going to multiple iCloud IDs for Family

My wife and I have an iPhone and we also have an iPad that stays at the house everyone uses including our kids. I've always had my Apple ID logged in to the store part so we can share all paid apps and music. The iPad also has my id logged in under iCloud so it's using the iCloud ID that is associated with my store ID, which is the same as my gmail account. If I want to change that one to the family one like the guide on iMore talks about, would I do the following steps or am I missing something? Say for this my gmail is and it also gave me a and a .

Existing iCloud/iTunes account:
    Login to manage my apple ID and change the "Apple ID and Primary Email Address" from to the alternate of ? Do I have to use or can I create a new icloud email called and set that as my "Apple ID and Primary Email Address"?

Create New iCloud IDs:
    I created a new iCloud Email address/account for me and my wife. We would each sign in to our own under iCloud to have seperate storage and to have find my friends work.
    We would each continue to setup our gmail accounts as exchange.

By doing this, and going on the phone and changing the store login to or , would that still have all my purchases moved from the to the ?

Global Posts
    21,567 Global Posts
    iOS Version

This "was" my setup:

Me, my daughter and my teen son all have I-devices. I setup each device with a separate Apple ID except for the iTunes and App Store. We shared a Specific Apple ID for purchases. By doing so, each person was able to enjoy their privacy*, but I controlled what was purchased. So to answer your question, you can simply logout of the one device and then create a new iCloud account using that particular device. You can keep the Apple ID you currently use for purchases, if you choose to do so.

Global Posts
    3,584 Global Posts
    iOS Version

It's too bad that apple doesn't allow you to change your AppStore ID or allow it to be merged with you @icloud.com account.
    jsntrenkler
    Mobile Gear: Retina Macbook Pro 13 / iPad Air / iPhone 5S / Pebble Smartwatch
    Community Rules & Guidelines
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,883 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Just create a new apple id for family use that for everything except the store part and you will be fine

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,883 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Your apple id can't be a iCloud or me address it has to be a third part email like gmail yahoo aol etc.

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    420 Global Posts
    iOS Version

My sister just got an iPhone 4 and we created and used an iCloud email as her apple ID.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Default Re: Questions about going to multiple iCloud IDs for Family

Quote Originally Posted by jsntrenkler View Post
    It's too bad that apple doesn't allow you to change your AppStore ID or allow it to be merged with you @icloud.com account.
    It does allow you to change the ID (just change the email address associated with it)... but you are correct - you cannot merge accounts...
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina