iCloud Contact Groups.

Wallace

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
I have created a couple of contact groups in iCloud on my PC, called Family and Work. Nothing spectacular there! I moved individually selected contacts into the appropriate groups no problem. When I log in to iCloud on my PC, my contact groups are there correctly labelled and have the correct contacts within.

My problem is that when I look at the groups on either of my iPhone's (4s and 5), the groups are listed as null. Yet the correct contacts lie within. All that is wrong is the names of Family & Work are now listed as null. But on my PC they are correctly named.

How do I get the correct group names to show on my idevices please?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you have a Mac then the process is easy.

1. Initiate the Contacts app
2. Select View at the top of the screen
3. Select Groups
4. Select Null and then change it to whatever you want the group to be called.

Afterwards, the change will be readily visible on your iPhone or iPad.

If you don't have a Mac then I'm not sure you can make the correction at this time.

Wallace

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
I don't have a MAC.

When logged into iCloud on my PC, the groups are there and correctly labelled and contain the correct contact details. But on my iPhone only the All Contacts group is correctly named, the other two (Family & Work) although contain the correct contact info, are both labelled as 'null'.

I have deleted Family & Work contact groups from my iCloud account via my PC. Sure enough those two groups (null) disappear from my iPhone.

If I add a test contact group, lets say I call it Test, on my PC, then on my iPhone the null contact group appears. But it still contains the correct contact info within.

All that is wrong is the contact group name and only then on my iPhone.

I am really puzzled.

Kaitokomauri

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
If you have all of your contacts/groups already in the iCloud, why not try to disable and then re-enable iCloud Contact Sync on your iPhone. Make sure to tap "Remove from my iPhone" once you disable your iCloud Contact Sync so you don't create duplicate entries once you re-enable it back on.

Do the Nulls still exist?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a MAC.

When logged into iCloud on my PC, the groups are there and correctly labelled and contain the correct contact details. But on my iPhone only the All Contacts group is correctly named, the other two (Family & Work) although contain the correct contact info, are both labelled as 'null'.

I have deleted Family & Work contact groups from my iCloud account via my PC. Sure enough those two groups (null) disappear from my iPhone.

If I add a test contact group, lets say I call it Test, on my PC, then on my iPhone the null contact group appears. But it still contains the correct contact info within.

All that is wrong is the contact group name and only then on my iPhone.

I am really puzzled.

All of the research that I did online in regard to the "null" group name ended without a remedy for those that do not have a Mac computer. Now having said that, I just logged in to the iCloud website, clicked on the contacts icon and then clicked on the bookmark ribbon at the top of the contacts page to create a group. After that, I created a group called "Businesses" and then added a business contact via drag and drop. After that, I picked up my iPhone and checked to see if the business group had been synced to it and sure enough, it was there. I cannot understand why the same cannot be done with family.

luisfrocha

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if this will fix your problem, but it's worth trying. Try replacing the ampersand (&) with the word "and", or remove it altogether. I'm guessing it's having problems parsing the name correctly because of that. Again, I'm just taking a wild guess.

SimplyApple

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi I have had a similar problem on my iPhone 5 and iPhone 4 since they both run iOS6. On iCloud on my PC the groups work, friends and family are correctly labeled. But on both iPhones the appear are null.

I have tried signing out of iCloud on the PC and then back in again.
Changing the name of a group for example work to work123 and refreshing both iCloud on my PC and in my iPhones. I have deleted by contacts from the iPhones and restored from iCloud.
And I completely wiped both iPhones and restored from iCloud.

My last resort is to book a genius appointment. Anyone else found a solution?

aapierre

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I just tried it
opened icloud on my work windows xp pc and created a contact group for work
dropped them all in their and hey presto the icloud and phone picked it up nicely

I am running iOS 6 and an iphone 4

---------- Post Merged at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:20 PM ----------

I just tried it
dropped them all in their and hey presto the icloud and phone picked it up nicely

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I just tried it

---------- Post Merged at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:20 PM ----------

I just tried it

Great! Now if it worked for the both of us, it *should* work for everyone else. Anyway, just so we're clear, I accessed www.icloud.com to make the changes. Did you do the same or did you do it via an iCloud control panel in Windows?

SimplyApple

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
So did you have these groups before. Or did you just create them.

---------- Post Merged at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:20 PM ----------

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

---------- Post Merged at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:20 PM ----------

I just created a few groups in an attempt to help the OP.

Wallace

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

It does seem that the problem was at the server end. It's started to work now without me actually needing to do anything at my end.

The iCloud moves in mysterious ways :)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

It does seem that the problem was at the server end. It's started to work now without me actually needing to do anything at my end.

The iCloud moves in mysterious ways :)

You're very welcome and I'm glad you got it's working correctly for you. Take care and have a great day ...;)

Kaitokomauri

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
If the problem recurs in the same mysterious way as it disappeared, try the following:

On your iDevice, go to Contacts > Groups. Keep your iPhone on that slide and log in to your iCloud account via a web browser.

Rename one of the problematic groups in your web browser , now go back to your iPhone - the group must have changed its name from "null" to the new name you edited on your web browser.

Finally, rename the group in your web browser again - this time to its original name - this should get pushed over to your iPhone once more. (Update on iPhone is not immediate and takes some 2-3 minutes after the re-name on your web-browser). Do the same for the rest of the "null" groups.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox