iCloud backup question

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I currently am using up almost 13 gigs of my 16 gig iPhone 4. I have purchased extra iCloud storage and increased it to 15 gigs capacity. I have everything checked off to back up to iCloud (apps, photo stream, etc.). What is confusing me is that my backup size only says it is about 2 gigs. Could this be right? I am nervous there are critical things that are not getting backed up everyday. Anybody understand this?

Thanks!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes but shouldn't what my device is showing as used space pretty much match or be very close to the size of the iCloud backup?

It should. How many apps do you have installed? How many photos, videos and music and the average approximate size of each? If you store a lot of photos, music & videos on your device then you run the risk of running out of space. I have a few photos, no videos and no music. I stream my music via Pandora, TuneIn Radio Pro app, etcetera. I watch streaming videos/movies on my iPad and the photos I keep on my iPhone are photos of my family and some wallpaper. Other photos I take are moved to my MacBook and my TimeCapsule and thus, I'm not even close to filling up my iPhone and I still have 4.6 GB of available iCloud storage space.

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
It should. How many apps do you have installed? How many photos, videos and music and the average approximate size of each? If you store a lot of photos, music & videos on your device then you run the risk of running out of space. I have a few photos, no videos and no music. I stream my music via Pandora, TuneIn Radio Pro app, etcetera. I watch streaming videos/movies on my iPad and the photos I keep on my iPhone are photos of my family and some wallpaper. Other photos I take are moved to my MacBook and my TimeCapsule and thus, I'm not even close to filling up my iPhone and I still have 4.6 GB of available iCloud storage space.

so, as per itunes, the breakdown is 1.15gb audio, 1.63gb photo, 5.6gb apps, 3.5gb other. Now, if I go into settings/icloud/storage and backup ... it reads total storage 15gb, available 12.2gb, which I just don't understand. If I go into manage storage my phone's backup size says 2.7gb and I have all 5.6gbs of apps checked. My wife's iphone's used space pretty much matches the backup size.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
There are two sections you need to be concerned with on the Settings/General/Usage screen:
1. At the very top, you will see your device's storage information. Note: the amount available and the amount used will not equal the total storage size because the amount taken by the OS is not mentioned.
2. In the middle of the screen, you will see your iCloud storage information.

If I'm missing the obvious, I apologize. I just got home, eating a very late dinner, watching the Raven vs Bengals game and trying to somewhat pay attention to the forums. :D

Last edited:

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
There are two sections you need to be concerned with on the Settings/General/Usage screen:
1. At the very top, you will see your device's storage information. Note: the amount available and the amount used will not equal the total storage size because the amount taken by the OS is not mentioned.
2. In the middle of the screen, you will see your iCloud storage information.

If I'm missing the obvious, I apologize. I just got home, eating a very late dinner, watching the Raven vs Bengals game and trying to somewhat pay attention to the forums. :D

thanks for trying to help, but I am aware of this. What I am trying to understand is why there is a very large disconnect between the amount of total gigs used by my phone, and the size of my icloud backup.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
thanks for trying to help, but I am aware of this. What I am trying to understand is why there is a very large disconnect between the amount of total gigs used by my phone, and the size of my icloud backup.

Your apps are not backed up to iCloud. Only the "data" from those app are backed up whereas the apps themselves and their data are stored on the device itself and thus the reason for the size difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: csal80

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Your apps are not backed up to iCloud. Only the "data" from those app are backed up whereas the apps themselves and their data are stored on the device itself and thus the reason for the size difference.

Thanks! So this would make much more sense if the following is true: I have itunes match so my 1.15gbs of music does not back up in the cloud, the 3.2gbs of 'other' does not get backed up. Really, the only thing that would actually get backed up is the app data, settings, and 1.63gbs of photos. Please confirm if you know.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! So this would make much more sense if the following is true: I have itunes match so my 1.15gbs of music does not back up in the cloud, the 3.2gbs of 'other' does not get backed up. Really, the only thing that would actually get backed up is the app data, settings, and 1.63gbs of photos. Please confirm if you know.

Basically, yes. More information can be found here.

Reactions: csal80