Gmail and iCloud backup issues?

gopowercat#AC

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I used Gmail to help me move contacts from my Blackberry when I got my iPhone 4S last summer.

I have been messing with getting the iCloud to work to back it up and finally called Verizon for help.

Their Apple help team has told me the Gmail account that is on my iPhone is causing issues since I have it set up in the Exchange setup so it keeps my contacts in the phone.

If I delete the GMail account, it deletes all of my contacts from the phone.

How can I get the contacts saved to the phone itself so when I get rid of the Gmail account they stay there?

I don't use the Gmail account at all for anything other than the switching of the contacts from my Blackberry to the iPhone when I did it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I used Gmail to help me move contacts from my Blackberry when I got my iPhone 4S last summer.

I have been messing with getting the iCloud to work to back it up and finally called Verizon for help.

Their Apple help team has told me the Gmail account that is on my iPhone is causing issues since I have it set up in the Exchange setup so it keeps my contacts in the phone.

If I delete the GMail account, it deletes all of my contacts from the phone.

How can I get the contacts saved to the phone itself so when I get rid of the Gmail account they stay there?

I don't use the Gmail account at all for anything other than the switching of the contacts from my Blackberry to the iPhone when I did it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

If you have an iCloud account already set up, login to your gmail account via a computer and then go to your contact list and export your contacts as a vCard (.vcf file). Afterwards, login to www.icloud.com via a computer, sign in with your iCloud credentials, tap on the Address Book, now tap on the icon at the bottom left corner of the address book. Select "Import vCard". All of your Google contacts should import into the address book. Now logout of www.icloud.com. On you iPhone, go to Settings/Mail, Contacts, Calendars/Exchange or whatever you called your gmail account and turn OFF contacts. Doing so will unsync your gmail contacts from your iPhone. You will still receive your gmail and calendar stuff. Now go to the iCloud setup and make sure that Contacts is turned ON. Now initiate your iPhone's address book. Your imported contacts should be present.

UPDATE: Now that I think about it, when you turn off contacts in the Gmail Exchange settings on your iPhone, it *should* ask if you want to keep the contacts on the phone or delete them. It's been awhile so I could be mistaken.

Last edited:

gopowercat#AC

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks!

That worked great to move the contacts. Thank you so much for the help!

Now ... is there a similar way to move the calendar items from gmail to icloud?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you have a Mac with iCal that is configured with iCloud then yes, you can simply export your calendar from Google and import it to iCal and then it will sync to iCloud. Other than that, I don't think it is possible as of yet and I know you can't do import the calendar via the iCloud website.

dfb8085

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I do not currently own a Iphone but probably will in the near future. In the meantime since I have a Icloud account I managed to get my contacts from gmail into iCloud using my apple macair. Is there a way now I can get my gmail calendar into ICloud? Then when I get a Iphone all I do is connect it to the cloud and BAM the phone is ready.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711