Help with Troubleshooting Data Usage

Quintus

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I have been using My Data Manager to troubleshoot some unknown data usage on my iPhone and iPad. Both of these seem to be pulling between 700-900MB of WiFi data during the night at approximately 100MB per hour between the hours of midnight and 7 am. My Data Manager is showing this usage but when I try to determine what app is drawing all this data, all it tells me is "OS Services". I can tell you that my emails are all set to manually refresh so there should not be any email activity going on in the background. Although my iCloud backup is large, it shows as complete around midnight so that doesn't explain the data usage between midnight and 7am.

What else could be drawing such a large amount of WiFi data which is connected to "OS Services"?

Thanks for your help.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
WOW, I can not image what could be sending and receiving that much data per night, that's insane. Do you have a newsreader or news clipping service? That's about the only thing I can think of but even so it should NOT be pulling that much data.

Quintus

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I've killed all background apps and the problem has disappeared. I am now going to try to replicate the problem and see if I could find the culprit application. And when I do....it is getting "deleted" from my devices.

This is a real PITA but I am committed to finding the application that is responsible for this. Too bad all these data manager applications seem to have this "OS Services" catch-all which kinds of defeats the purpose of trying to find out which app is the cause of the problem.

Quintus

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
So the problem has recurred and I killed each and every app running in the background one app at a time until there were no apps running in the background. The iPhone is still pulling close to a 100MB per hour on my WiFi.

What can possibly be going on? Checked iCloud and the last backup had been completed hours ago and so it is not a backup running in the background. I don't have iTunes match nor do I have PhotoStream activated.

Anybody have any ideas? :confused::confused:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you've installed social networking apps, they could be the culprits. Just because you've closed them doesn't keep them from updating in the background. For example, Twitter. I have it set to alert me of breaking news and specific tweets from a few members of Congress and even if I close the app, it will still update and alert me. Also, if your configured emails are set to pull mail at certain intervals, that could be a culprit. Just double check your settings and app settings.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)