Sync iPhone and iCloud ONLY?

anon(631408)

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Is it possible to sync the calendar and contacts that are currently on my iPhone and upload (sync) with iCloud? My phone is getting the calendar, contacts and tasks from my work Exchange server so my phone is all updated but I thought maybe I could turn on the iCloud sync on the phone and it would sync, am I correct in this assumption? The reason I don't try it is because when I tried the Outlook sync with iCloud it caused some very unwanted work and headaches. I would like to know if anyone has tried this and had a successful or failed result.
Thanks,

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you have an iCloud account and setup iCloud on your device(s) then yes, the items that you have enabled to sync (Mail, Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, Bookmarks, Notes, Photostream & Documents & Data) will sync with iCloud and changes you make on your device(s) will reflect via iCloud online and vice-versa.

Just Me, D
Tapatalk (iPad 2)

Last edited:

anon(631408)

May 27, 2010
Visit site
it seems to be 2 separate calendars and contacts. Nothing happened when I turned them on on the iphone. I was hoping it would take my calendar from the phone and sync it to icloud. Not really sure I need to do this or even want to do this but I was thinking about this today so I am asking the experts :)

The_colombian

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Icloud and your exchange from work are two different servers. Im not sure if there is some work around but it doesnt work by just enabling it.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Do this: when you initiate the Calendar app, select 'Calendars' in the upper left corner. Under the heading, iCloud, how many calendars does it show? If it is more than 1 AND if both calendars are identical in regard to their entries, delete one of them. It may be easier to logon to iCloud online via a Mac or PC and correct the issues you're having with duplicates. I hope I'm not misunderstanding your dilemma and hopefully, others will chime in to help, as well.

Just Me, D
Tapatalk (iPad 2)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Icloud and your exchange from work are two different servers. Im not sure if there is some work around but it doesnt work by just enabling it.

You are right. His exchange account is not associated with his iCloud account and enabling iCloud will not transfer information from a different exchange server into iCloud.

Just Me, D
Tapatalk (iPad 2)

Arelunde

May 17, 2011
Visit site
If you have the option, it's far easier to just use iCloud's mail, contacts and calendar. I had mine on Gmail/Google before iCloud and things got incredibly complex - with major problems - once iCloud came along. It took some doing, but I eventually eliminated all Google/Gmail stuff and have only iCloud. Much better.

Kaitokomauri

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I have currently set up both iCloud and my Yahoo sync (via exchange) for my contacts. This allows me to sync iPhone contacts as far as possible and bring them all to my iPhone (from elsewhere).

The only thing that I need to live up with is having two separate sets of contacts. Here is what I see in my Contact app:

6961417365_03f677be4d.jpg

It would be nice if the two could:
1. Be brought together (i.e. in my iPhone Contacts app - not in two groups)
2. Separate duplicated contacts be merged

But I have still not found a way of doing this. The whole multiple sync story is a bit confusing, and after having a look at this thread, I know it is not only me :eek: .

Last edited:

kekocano

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro