Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    702 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Why should I use iCloud

Is there any benefit from using iCloud?

For instance, if I use iCloud do I save memory on my iphone?

I have an iphone and a desktop. No other iOS devices.

So if I sync with iTunes once a month, is there a reason for iCloud?
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Backups. My Mac is still on Lion, so I don't even have anything to sync with but I still use iCloud to backup app settings and data on my iPod.
    iPhone Intermediate

Back up and sync. Everything is stored online. Never have to worry.
    Laura Elizebeth Harris on the iBooks Store
    ~Laura~
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    iOS Version

3 words, peace of mind ;-)

Sent from my ? iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    20,279 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Safe and easy backups. If or when you have to reset your device, you will be prompted to restore your backups from the cloud which will put your device as it was during the time of the backup. That benefit alone is worth using iCloud, in my opinion. Mail, Calendar, address books are automatically synced. Give it a try. If you don't like it, stop using it.

Just Me, D
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    371 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I like when you have another i device when you download a app or bookmark a page it's on all of your devices.

Sent from my iPhone using TapaMFtalk
    32GB iPhone 5 black
    32GB Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    16GB iPhone 4 black retired/backup
    16GB iPad 3rd gen WiFi
    16GB OG iPad WiFi sold
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Hot94Z28 View Post
    I like when you have another i device when you download a app or bookmark a page it's on all of your devices.

The problem I have with doing that for apps is that I like to keep old versions of iOS apps on my Mac. That way, I can revert to an older version if an app update (performed on the device) introduces crashes or other bugs. If I used iCloud app syncing on my Mac, I'd lose the older versions.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    371 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I understand that. But I do like that feature when I get home playing around on my iPad and have the apps I have downloaded that day. I like also that I can buy a song on my iPhone then get it on my iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by Slinkwyde View Post
    The problem I have with doing that for apps is that I like to keep old versions of iOS apps on my Mac. That way, I can revert to an older version if an app update (performed on the device) introduces crashes or other bugs. If I used iCloud app syncing on my Mac, I'd lose the older versions.

32GB iPhone 5 black
    32GB Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    16GB iPhone 4 black retired/backup
    16GB iPad 3rd gen WiFi
    16GB OG iPad WiFi sold
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,404 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I use it just for iPhone back ups; really just for the thrill of some day getting my iPhone exchanged at an Apple store and walking out with them having restored the replacement iPhone from that back up instead of me doing it at home.
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

The people who get the most out of iCloud are those of us who live in the Apple ecosystem. iPhone, iPad, Mac, etc... The only thing I miss from MobileMe is the syncing of settings on the Mac.

Global Posts
    2,847 Global Posts
    iOS Version

If I currently have my gmail set up as an exchange account and have my contacts and calendars backed up that way- should I also do it in the cloud? Right now I have the iCloud backing up everything but contacts and calendars. I am just thinking ahead when I get the 4S (hopefully in a few weeks) what the easiest way to restore the new one with all apps and stuff that my 4 has now- Also plan on doing the same for the iPad 3 when it arrives- thanks
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by Phreddyl View Post
    If I currently have my gmail set up as an exchange account and have my contacts and calendars backed up that way- should I also do it in the cloud? Right now I have the iCloud backing up everything but contacts and calendars. I am just thinking ahead when I get the 4S (hopefully in a few weeks) what the easiest way to restore the new one with all apps and stuff that my 4 has now- Also plan on doing the same for the iPad 3 when it arrives- thanks
    If Gmail is supplying your contacts for you the only way to get those contacts to sync over to iCloud is turn off contacts for Gmail. It will then ask you if you want to delete the contacts from the iPhone or not. Keep them and then turn on iCloud contacts and it should ask if you want to merge the contacts and at that point it will shoot them up to the cloud. Can do the same for cal.
    Thanked by:
    FendrGuitPlayr (02-25-2012)

Global Posts
    2,847 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Sikora View Post
    If Gmail is supplying your contacts for you the only way to get those contacts to sync over to iCloud is turn off contacts for Gmail. It will then ask you if you want to delete the contacts from the iPhone or not. Keep them and then turn on iCloud contacts and it should ask if you want to merge the contacts and at that point it will shoot them up to the cloud. Can do the same for cal.
    Can I just leave it be and set up gmail as exchange on new devises? I like the gmail back up.
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by Phreddyl View Post
    Can I just leave it be and set up gmail as exchange on new devises? I like the gmail back up.
    Sure can as long as you are set up via Exchange.

Global Posts
    2,847 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Sure can as long as you are set up via Exchange.
    Great thanks.
    iPhone Newbie

wats this actually?
    Last edited by jayabaluan; 02-18-2012 at 09:27 PM.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts

How do you sync I can't find anything on iCloud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  18. Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    702 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I have a quick follow up.

If I am concerned about my memory on my iPhone. If I start to use iCloud does everything move to the cloud and if so does that free up memory on my iPhone?

For instance, Dropbox has all my work files and isn't taking up memory in my phone. All I need is an Internet connection and I have my data. Does iCloud work the same?
  19. Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    702 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I guess my biggest concern is, getting my videos/pictures stored off of my iPhone. I have 3.3gb left and that concerns me.

Thoughts?
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by Judson50 View Post
    I guess my biggest concern is, getting my videos/pictures stored off of my iPhone. I have 3.3gb left and that concerns me.

Thoughts?
    iCloud currently can not store pictures in the cloud. Unless of course the pictures are ones you have taken on your phone. And no videos can be stored in the cloud.
    jyoung likes this.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    937 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Michmeister View Post
    How do you sync I can't find anything on iCloud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Go to settings and you should see iCloud. You will need to setup a account if you don't have one already.
    Twitter: @vietalogy
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    823 Global Posts
    iOS Version

iCloud has saved my *** 2 times since its been released. I had to replace my iPhone once as the flash stopped working and I made sure to sync all my contacts/calendar items/ anything I couldn't replace myself to iCloud and here we are.

Sent from my Jailbroken Facebook Machine using Tapatalk
  23. Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    702 Global Posts
    iOS Version

iCloud currently can not store pictures in the cloud. Unless of course the pictures are ones you have taken on your phone. And no videos can be stored in the cloud.
    so just to confirm, if I take pictures on my camera roll - then the pictures are stored in the cloud and not on my phone; thus freeing up memory?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    iOS Version

iCloud is my primary backup which happend automatically each day. If I get a new iPhone all my apps/photos/contacts/calendar/settings/etc automatically syncs to the new iPhone once I log in.

Quote Originally Posted by Judson50 View Post
    so just to confirm, if I take pictures on my camera roll - then the pictures are stored in the cloud and not on my phone; thus freeing up memory?
    Kind of... iCloud syncs photos you take with Photo Stream via Wi-Fi. There it is stored for 30 days at a time up to about 1000 photos I believe. It will also sync it to your computer and any other iOS device it activated on with the same account. Once done you can delete the photos on your iPhone effectively saving space (just make sure the photos are sync'd first.
  25. Thread AuthorThread Author   #25  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    702 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    iCloud is my primary backup which happend automatically each day. If I get a new iPhone all my apps/photos/contacts/calendar/settings/etc automatically syncs to the new iPhone once I log in.

Kind of... iCloud syncs photos you take with Photo Stream via Wi-Fi. There it is stored for 30 days at a time up to about 1000 photos I believe. It will also sync it to your computer and any other iOS device it activated on with the same account. Once done you can delete the photos on your iPhone effectively saving space (just make sure the photos are sync'd first.
    Really? I would think if they were synced what you deleted on your phone would be deleted from iCloud and/of computer?

What happens if you try iCloud and don't like it. If you turn it off will you lose anything?

Also what about these horror stories if those who lost all their pictures? Or make double web triple calendar entires? Is that the norm?

I f it would all sync to my computer that is great. Does that mean i should move what I sync in my computer to another "non-synced" folder to keep forever?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast