Why should I use iCloud

Judson50

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Is there any benefit from using iCloud?

For instance, if I use iCloud do I save memory on my iphone?

I have an iphone and a desktop. No other iOS devices.

So if I sync with iTunes once a month, is there a reason for iCloud?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Safe and easy backups. If or when you have to reset your device, you will be prompted to restore your backups from the cloud which will put your device as it was during the time of the backup. That benefit alone is worth using iCloud, in my opinion. Mail, Calendar, address books are automatically synced. Give it a try. If you don't like it, stop using it.

Just Me, D

Hot94Z28

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I like when you have another i device when you download a app or bookmark a page it's on all of your devices.

Sent from my iPhone using TapaMFtalk

anon(814679)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I like when you have another i device when you download a app or bookmark a page it's on all of your devices.

The problem I have with doing that for apps is that I like to keep old versions of iOS apps on my Mac. That way, I can revert to an older version if an app update (performed on the device) introduces crashes or other bugs. If I used iCloud app syncing on my Mac, I'd lose the older versions.

Hot94Z28

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I understand that. But I do like that feature when I get home playing around on my iPad and have the apps I have downloaded that day. I like also that I can buy a song on my iPhone then get it on my iPad.

The problem I have with doing that for apps is that I like to keep old versions of iOS apps on my Mac. That way, I can revert to an older version if an app update (performed on the device) introduces crashes or other bugs. If I used iCloud app syncing on my Mac, I'd lose the older versions.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I use it just for iPhone back ups; really just for the thrill of some day getting my iPhone exchanged at an Apple store and walking out with them having restored the replacement iPhone from that back up instead of me doing it at home.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
The people who get the most out of iCloud are those of us who live in the Apple ecosystem. iPhone, iPad, Mac, etc... The only thing I miss from MobileMe is the syncing of settings on the Mac.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
If I currently have my gmail set up as an exchange account and have my contacts and calendars backed up that way- should I also do it in the cloud? Right now I have the iCloud backing up everything but contacts and calendars. I am just thinking ahead when I get the 4S (hopefully in a few weeks) what the easiest way to restore the new one with all apps and stuff that my 4 has now- Also plan on doing the same for the iPad 3 when it arrives- thanks

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
If I currently have my gmail set up as an exchange account and have my contacts and calendars backed up that way- should I also do it in the cloud? Right now I have the iCloud backing up everything but contacts and calendars. I am just thinking ahead when I get the 4S (hopefully in a few weeks) what the easiest way to restore the new one with all apps and stuff that my 4 has now- Also plan on doing the same for the iPad 3 when it arrives- thanks

If Gmail is supplying your contacts for you the only way to get those contacts to sync over to iCloud is turn off contacts for Gmail. It will then ask you if you want to delete the contacts from the iPhone or not. Keep them and then turn on iCloud contacts and it should ask if you want to merge the contacts and at that point it will shoot them up to the cloud. Can do the same for cal.

Reactions: FendrGuitPlayr

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
If Gmail is supplying your contacts for you the only way to get those contacts to sync over to iCloud is turn off contacts for Gmail. It will then ask you if you want to delete the contacts from the iPhone or not. Keep them and then turn on iCloud contacts and it should ask if you want to merge the contacts and at that point it will shoot them up to the cloud. Can do the same for cal.

Can I just leave it be and set up gmail as exchange on new devises? I like the gmail back up.

Judson50

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I have a quick follow up.

If I am concerned about my memory on my iPhone. If I start to use iCloud does everything move to the cloud and if so does that free up memory on my iPhone?

For instance, Dropbox has all my work files and isn't taking up memory in my phone. All I need is an Internet connection and I have my data. Does iCloud work the same?

Judson50

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I guess my biggest concern is, getting my videos/pictures stored off of my iPhone. I have 3.3gb left and that concerns me.

Thoughts?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I guess my biggest concern is, getting my videos/pictures stored off of my iPhone. I have 3.3gb left and that concerns me.

Thoughts?

iCloud currently can not store pictures in the cloud. Unless of course the pictures are ones you have taken on your phone. And no videos can be stored in the cloud.