Article on iCloud: "Apple failure"

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday, I came across this column posted on NJ.com (home of The Star-Ledger) regarding iCloud. Allan Hoffman refers to iCloud as an "Apple failure." I have to say that, while I love Apple products, I agree with the author. At least for me, iCloud has not done nearly what I thought it would when first introduced last summer. I figured it would be similar to other cloud-based services (Dropbox, Box, etc.) but better, especially for those who use their fair share of Apple products. Other than a place to sync contacts, calendar, email, and iWork documents - oh, and of course the iTunes Match service - it's pretty vanilla compared to the other cloud services, at least in my opinion. I hope Apple makes some changes to it moving forward (other document storage, movie/video storage, etc.), but for now, it seems like a dud to me.

Here's the link to the article: Apple's iCloud user experience far from heavenly

What do the rest of you think about Hoffman's critique and the future of iCloud?

scionwest

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
I disagree with his article. All the apps I use store their data in iCloud. I put a document in GoodReader for ipad and automatically have it on my iPhone while out.
I edit a contact on my phone, it's automatically updated on my iPad and Mac.

For me, iCloud has made everything much much easier. I haven't plugged in my phone to my PC in months.

Posted from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lv1

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I disagree. For me it does everything that I need. Appointments on my company exchange server appear magically on Iphone even though I don't synch to company computer. Programs or music downloaded on one device appear on all others. Photos that I take with my phone or real slr appear on other devices including Apple TV. And ITunes Match is an excellent complement. Its not perfect but pretty good to start with.

r0k

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
What a joke of an article. The guy has trouble with contacts sync and proclaims Apple Fail. He sounds like a Windoze Fanboy. He never bothered to check out iCloud backup of his device, iCloud document sync, Photostream. And the friggin' service is FREE. It does about half of what Mobile Me did and the service is FREE. I guess I won't be getting any of my tech news and reviews from nj.com any time soon.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Works beautifully for me as well as everyone in my office and home. Transparent data sharing between iPhone and iPad is brilliant.

Are there things that can be improved? Of course. This is only the first release after all.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative