Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By r0k
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

iOS Version

Default How to totally remove iCloud?

I have an iPad & iPhone. Using the cloud has complicated my life with these devices and I would like to totally eliminate any iCloud usage. Do any of you know how I can do this? Thank you for any help you can offer.
    Thanked by:
    afshin1965 (12-19-2013)
    r0k
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    244 Global Posts

Careful! Getting out of iCloud can be tricky. First of all, back up your stuff! When you "log out" of iCloud, any data that iOS thinks belongs to that iCloud ID gets deleted from your device. Well not exactly. It asks you first. If you say delete, it lets you log out. If you say don't delete, you are stuck logged in. The good news is the sync is very fast so if you "log out" and everything is gone, if you "log back in" everything comes back in mere seconds.

What sort of problems are you having? I have found iCloud to be "perfect" at syncing my information among my iOS devices and my Mac. Perhaps there is something you are trying to do that is throwing a monkey wrench into things. For one thing, Apple tries to force you to use the same Apple ID for iCloud and iTunes. I say this is optional for a good reason and I keep mine separate. Apple allows multiple users to share an AppleID but this can create confusion when one users' phone contacts and calendar entries start showing up on the other users' devices.
    -r0k

iPhone 4 (At&t), iPad, lots of other Apple gear, mobile me user.
    jmlampert23#IM likes this.
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: How to totally remove iCloud?

My problem with iCloud is that now I can't connect my iPhone with my laptop and move photos from my iPhone folders to folders on my computer. If I can find a way to do that again without removing iCloud entirely, I'll do it.

Any advice?!

Drop box. It's free for two gigs and works great. You can set it to automatically upload to drop box and just put the drop box app on your pc.
    iPhone 6 Plus 64 GB - 64 GB iPad Air - 64 GB iPad Mini 3 - 2014 Mac Book Air

Got a question:
    New to the Forums:
    How we work around here:
    iMore Intermediate

Photo stream?

Global Posts
    23,243 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by southcitykitty View Post
    My problem with iCloud is that now I can't connect my iPhone with my laptop and move photos from my iPhone folders to folders on my computer. If I can find a way to do that again without removing iCloud entirely, I'll do it.

Any advice?!
    iCloud: Photo Stream FAQ

Can photos be saved or downloaded from a shared photo stream?

Yes. Once photos are shared, anyone who can view the shared photo stream can download and keep the photos permanently.
    On a device using iOS 6 or later, you can save photos to the Camera Roll. On a Mac, using iPhoto 9.4 or Aperture 3.4, you can save photos from the shared stream to your local Photo Library or any other location on your Mac. On a Windows PC, you can copy photos from a shared photo stream to any folder. On the web, photos can be downloaded directly to your computer from the detail view of each photo.
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 03-24-2013 at 10:19 PM.

Global Posts
    23,243 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Donna5911 View Post
    Photo stream?
    iCloud: What is Photo Stream?
    iPhone Beginner

Here is another useful article for future reference.

iOS: Importing personal photos and videos from iOS devices to your computer
    iPhone Nanite

Help

My contacts are gone. Could I Cloud be the cause. Now do I get them back

Thanks

Global Posts
    23,243 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by oldcostie37 View Post
    Help

My contacts are gone. Could I Cloud be the cause. Now do I get them back

Thanks
    Unless you've accidentally deleted them, I doubt your contacts have been lost via iCloud, however, you can logon to www.icloud.com via a computer (not from your iPhone or iPad) and check to see if your contacts are intact. If they are, simply delete your iCloud account on your i-device and then reconfigure it/set it up again. Afterwards, your iCloud data should re-sync to your device.
    iMore Nanite

there are only two options under my name: acct settings & sign out. Where are you finding "Advanced" ? and are these instructions for deleting Photo Stream or iCloud entirely. i cannot delete iCloud off my iPhone 4. I click "delete account" and hangs at "deleting..." for hours and then closes settings. i also cannot "turn off" calendar on iPhone. I fear both this issues are eating away at my battery life. Battery depleting 2% every minute.
    iMore Nanite

I bought a iPad almost a year ago after the loss of my father at the funeral home someone stole mine and about three months later god blessed me with one, now I purchased this from a pawn shop and it still had the young ladies information in it her iCloud so without this I can't do anything with it googled and made a Apple ID so I can use the iPad but don't want to have to loose all my games and pictures please someone help......
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    331 Global Posts

Just stop using iCloud, problem solved.