Sharing photo streams

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
I have been trying to figure out if there is anyway to share photo streams between people (such as my wife and myself) but still keep separate emails, calendars, contacts, etc. Since Apple doesn't allow people to subscribe or share a photo stream, I have been trying to find a work-around. I think I have found one, do you think this will work?

Let's keep it simple, and say there are the following two people - husband and wife. Each has an iPhone, and an iMac.

Husband sets up an iCloud account - husband@me.com
Wife sets up an iCloud account - wife@me.com
They set up a "joint" account - family@me.com

On their devices, for setting up the iCloud, they use the joint account. This means that all contacts, email, calendars from "family@me.com" will be shared between the two computers and two iPhones. It also means that the photos will be shared - any photos the husband takes on the iPhone will be sent to both iMacs...and the same with any Photos from the wife's account. Any photos loaded onto the wife's iMac (say, from her camera) will also be sent to all iPhones and the husbands computer via Photostream. Also, the devices will be backed up to that account, FindMyiPhone will work from that account (for both phones), documents in the cloud will work, etc.

Then, in his iPhone and iMac, under the mail settings, he adds the iCloud account "husband@me.com". He sets is up to share his mail, contacts, calendars, email, reminders, notes, etc between his iPhone and iMac.

The wife does the same with her account, "wife@me.com", with her iPhone and iMac. Now they both have a separate .me address, with their own calendar, contacts, email, etc, which will be kept separate from each other, but they share all photos between all computers.

From what I understand, that will work. Can anyone find a flaw in this set up? The photo libraries on both of the Macs would still be separate (so if the husband sorts things into specific events, that won't match up necessarily with the wife's iMac) but all photos will be on both computers.

Chris

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
You can have only one listed iCloud account (which you set up through the iCloud settings) but you can add another via mail, contacts, calendars account setup.

Chris

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
I have been doing this for the past 5 days, and it totally works.

It's not as elegant as being able to subscribe to a photostream, but functionally it works the same. Plus it has the advantage of being able to set up a family calendar and reminders.

Chris

G323q569

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I am wanting to do a very similar thing, howver I want to be able to share calendars, reminders, and photos. Do you know if this would be possibl to do yet still keep our contacts, apps, and music seperate?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes. Login to iCloud via a Mac or pc and then select reset photo stream or something to that effect from the advanced menu. You will be prompted to briefly turn off photo stream from your iOS devices. I'm trying to recall these steps from memory so the actual wording could be off a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
I am wanting to do a very similar thing, howver I want to be able to share calendars, reminders, and photos. Do you know if this would be possibl to do yet still keep our contacts, apps, and music seperate?

If you have the "family" account set up, you can share a calendar, reminders, and photos from that account. Since you would also have you own iCloud account, you would also have one that is not shared.

So yes, you can share calendars and reminders. Well, I assume reminders, I didn't test those.

Chris

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Yes. Login to iCloud via a Mac or pc and then select reset photo stream or something to that effect from the advanced menu. You will be prompted to briefly turn off photo stream from your iOS devices. I'm trying to recall these steps from memory so the actual wording could be off a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think he might have been asking if an individual photo or photos could be removed.

I don't think so, but I am not sure.

Or maybe you were asking about ALL photostream photos.

Chris

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I think he might have been asking if an individual photo or photos could be removed.

I don't think so, but I am not sure.
(snipped)

Chris

Oh okay. I apologize for the misunderstanding. Thank you and enjoy the rest of your evening. ;)

Just Me, D

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW