Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Default Unable to Restore App Data After Reinstalling App

Hi All,

I removed an app from my iPhone (theVault) then double checked it was still showing and enabled within 'Storage & Backup' which it is.

The trouble I'm having is when I download the app again to my device, the app isn't showing any previous app data, despite the app still being synced to iCloud.

Does app data restoration only apply if the whole phone is restored via iCloud? I'd really like to be able to restore app data if I later decide I want to re-install an individual app.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

rafsterman
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    4,312 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Yes, you'd have to do a full restore, however, having already deleted and reinstalled the app means it's too late as the data was also removed from your iCloud backup.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iPhone Nanite

verwon,

Thanks for your response.

Within iCloud settings there is the option to keep app data for individual apps, even if they have been removed from the device so, based on the fact that the app in question was still listed in the settings after removal I just assumed that app data would be restored from iCloud after downloading the app again.

So do you think the purpose of listing individual apps is solely for when you do a full device restore and you just want to specify any apps that you no longer want to appear?

rafsterman
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    4,312 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by rafsterman View Post
    verwon,

Thanks for your response.

Within iCloud settings there is the option to keep app data for individual apps, even if they have been removed from the device so, based on the fact that the app in question was still listed in the settings after removal I just assumed that app data would be restored from iCloud after downloading the app again.

So do you think the purpose of listing individual apps is solely for when you do a full device restore and you just want to specify any apps that you no longer want to appear?

rafsterman
    So far it seems that way. If you restore, you'd get the app and data back, but if you delete the app and reinstall, so there is no data, it seems to overwrite the old data, with the new empty app details.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!
    iMore Expert

Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Yes, you'd have to do a full restore, however, having already deleted and reinstalled the app means it's too late as the data was also removed from your iCloud backup.
    Really?? I'm not really sure about this, I'd think that would happen when you delete the app and then icloud makes the automatic back up and you attempt to download the app after that, if icloud has not made a back up I would assume the data is there after you do a full restore.
    iMore Nanite

Default Re: Unable to Restore App Data After Reinstalling App

Best answer. i have used. Use Keychain. google and find the tutorials..Thanks
    iMore Nanite

Default Re: Unable to Restore App Data After Reinstalling App

Indirectly this is easy by deleting the un-wanted apps and making a new backup. I prefer to be cautious so I leave the original device alone and make a final backup if needed of the full data:
    Restore everything to the new device.
    Once the data is on the device, the apps start loading.
    Once the apps are done loading, delete the things you don't want. It will delete both the app and all your data for the unwanted apps.
    This seems faster for me and my time than going into the iCould storage settings and deleting the app backups for each un-wanted item on the originating device. The benefit for me of pruning things on the restoring device is that I would have deleted the data already on the first device if I didn't need it anymore. It seems like extra work to temporarily stop backing up something I need just to reduce a restore and then have to re-enable backing those items up. However, if my network speed were severely constrained, I might choose to thin the backups.