Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Default iTunes Match: It Doesnít Just Work?

So my experience with iTunes Match has been good and bad. The good part is I can now get to all my music from anywhere. The bad part is getting the music is painful at time. I wanted to list some of the problems I have been having with iTunes Match to see if anyone else has been encountering the same.

1. The Song Title/Artist header fails to clear when I move from playing to song, so for instance if I go from Song-->Album-->Artist--->All Artists I get all the above all mashed together on the header.

2. Often times when I select to play a song it will skip to the song below the one I picked and start playing that one instead, with and without a local copy of either song on the device.

3. I get play lag all the time. The time bar will be moving but the song is not actually playing, this is with songs that are locally on my device.

4. There are a couple of instances, mostly with playlists that have a mix of local and non-local songs, where the song playing is not actually the right song. For instance when I select to play a Red Hot Chili Peppers song it starts playing the track below it, while still showing the Peppers song as the one currently playing.

5. When I select to play a song, iTunes Match will automatically start to download the tracks before and after the one I selected, provided neither have already been downloaded. And thatís if I tap the little cloud button or just tap the track to start playing. This is almost forgivable, I see what they were trying to do, but for someone with a limited data plan on my phone, I would like to have control over which songs actually get downloaded. But this is also a streaming implementation feature; Apple has always shied away from calling Match a streaming service.

Anyway curious to see if anyone has encountered all or any of these problems as well
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

FWIW I had some initial weirdness with Match, so I turned it off, cleared all local music from my phone and the downloaded my playlists, albums, etc that I wanted on the phone through iTunes Match / iCloud and I haven't had a problem since.
    Thanked by:
    texaskd5 (12-08-2011)
    iPhone Newbie

ive had so many problems with cloud its unbelievable
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    166 Global Posts

Yeah I'm not impressed with iTunes Match. It's a huge disappointment... especially when Apple throws around phrases like "it just works" so confidently.
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by CrzyP View Post
    Yeah I'm not impressed with iTunes Match. It's a huge disappointment... especially when Apple throws around phrases like "it just works" so confidently.
    What sort of problems are you having with it? Just curious.
    iPhone Nanite

iOS Version

I have been frustrated with some songs on an album not matchIng. Really hoped that it would clean my meta data. So, I have been spending lots of time cleaning my library using TuneUp to improve matching and fix wrong or missing meta data.
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by zsukm007 View Post
    I have been frustrated with some songs on an album not matchIng. Really hoped that it would clean my meta data. So, I have been spending lots of time cleaning my library using TuneUp to improve matching and fix wrong or missing meta data.
    I totally understand your point on this one. I had about 600 or so that weren't matched. 300 of them should have been imho. Metadata looks good on them, BUT they are songs that I ripped from CDs and their song length is 1-2 secs longer than what iTunes lists. I mean it's classic, St. Pepper's doesn't match, but everything else on the album does. lol.
    iPhone Nanite

Been working great for me, over 8k songs. Matched almost all of them. So far everything I've played works great. Sometimes if I'm in a low signal area, it takes a minute or two for undownloaded tracked to play but eventually it plays. I wonder if carrier has anything to do with, I noticed both people who posted both using Verizon.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    iOS Version

This confirms that I made the right decision. No matching for me. I bought the largest capacity devices for a reason!
    iPhone Beginner

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by zsukm007 View Post
    What is this "TuneUp" you speak of?
    iPhone Newbie

It matched 101 songs out of 3k. Then loaded just the ones that it could match. Deleting all my original music from other sources. Wasted 25 bux.
    iPhone 4s 16g Jailbroken
    iPhone 4 16g(wifie)
    iPad2 3G Jailbroken
    MacBook Air