iCloud email...

Carlm

Oct 13, 2009
www.howtojailbreak.info
Love my iCloud mail. It works so much better than MobileMe. I ran all of my contacts, calendar and mail from MobileMe before and it had it's troubles every now and then. I can safely say that the new iCloud hasn't dropped on me yet when I've needed it. Mail from my iPad and iPhone and the syncing is excellent.

:D

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I did notice last few days it wasnt pushing that consistently- I had to open up my email and when it checked new ones came through- I am used to that with my att email- I was hoping this would be different

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering if there was a way to add additional email accounts to send/reply from within iCloud (ie, can I set it up to send/reply from my Gmail or work email accounts)? I didn't see this option, and maybe they don't have it because they want tight, integrated control.

mlg321

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
When I had push on for iCloud, sometimes mail wouldn't push at all and I would have to open the mail app and get new messages. App badges also did not collaborate between iPad/iPhone/MacMail so I switch it to fetch every 15 minutes and everything works perfect now.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Laura, if you go to your Mail \ All Mailboxes, and read an email there, when replying, you can choose to 'send' from any account that you have on your iOS device :)

Now, if you're asking to do this via the iCloud website, sorry, that can't be done...

I was wondering if there was a way to add additional email accounts to send/reply from within iCloud (ie, can I set it up to send/reply from my Gmail or work email accounts)? I didn't see this option, and maybe they don't have it because they want tight, integrated control.

Reactions: leharris22

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
When I had push on for iCloud, sometimes mail wouldn't push at all and I would have to open the mail app and get new messages. App badges also did not collaborate between iPad/iPhone/MacMail so I switch it to fetch every 15 minutes and everything works perfect now.

I know this is an option- thinking cant be good for battery to have it checking all the time- If I am really waiting for something important I use my gmail- that is instant... Just disappointed- thought ME email on an iphone would work flawlessly-

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I've been testing my iCloud email virtually all day. And thus far it seems to be working better ever...

Weird.

Also, I received an email from Mobile ME today, reminding me to move my old Mobile ME account [I had two] from Mobile ME to iCloud. I moved it today, and have an extra 20GB or so, till June 2012. I might have to test my iCloud email a bit more. I certainly want it to work correctly, because the one thing I hate the MOST about GMail is the ads on the web interface.

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Laura, if you go to your Mail \ All Mailboxes, and read an email there, when replying, you can choose to 'send' from any account that you have on your iOS device :)

Now, if you're asking to do this via the iCloud website, sorry, that can't be done...

Yes, I was thinking from the website. But, I understand why they wouldn't have that set up. The website mail functions are so basic.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
...you see when one speaks too soon, what happens is things STOP working! So, iCloud email is not PUSHing anymore, albeit it worked fine for about 48 hours.

I give up, I'll stick with GMail. Maybe I'll use a client for GMail to thus avoid seeing the ads on their website.

paul-c

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
I had luck with iCloud mail. I was unlucky for the iCloud backup. That just started working for me recently. Hope everything rights itself soon for you.

B

bonesb

...you see when one speaks too soon, what happens is things STOP working! So, iCloud email is not PUSHing anymore, albeit it worked fine for about 48 hours.

I give up, I'll stick with GMail. Maybe I'll use a client for GMail to thus avoid seeing the ads on their website.

No offense intended, I just got finished with a couple of my employees that were whining about the same thing - I'm not inferring anything about you. Just them...

I asked them both to RTF(rickin')M (on their own time, since it's iCloud email they're hooked up to, and they both missed what I was hoping they'd see - "Push delivers new information when iPhone is connected to a Wi-Fi network." - copied directly from the iPhone user manual. If one's on a cellular network, the Mail badge gets pushed a notification there's iCloud email, and that might be on the Fetch schedule depending on the network you're on (we have a lot of areas with USCC coverage here with no native VZW coverage, but that's besides my point). If Push isn't available, Fetch or Manual schedules are observed.

I also told them that, when they get a notification and they're on a cellular network, they actually have to open up the Mail app to refresh and fetch the iCloud email. And now they both owe me a beer (again, no personal inference). Other email providers have different pipes in iOS - I wish Apple would include a matrix somewhere that shows what's what. I read the manual before installing iOS, and I've read lots of posts here, on Apple Discussions, and elsewhere that I feel just didn't understand what "push" email is about. I also feel that Apple hasn't fully described its products capabilities - but, that's what the manual is for. FWIW, I have a BB that sits on my desk that maps my important accounts - mainly for the little red notification light, and it's about on par for notifications with my iPhone 99% of the time. FWIW, I have my Exchange work accounts in my iPhone set to Push, a Gmail account set to Push, and my iCloud accounts set to Fetch - and my BB (BES) nearby. Good luck. :)

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Thank you very much for this breakdown, bonesb.

But, I wish it were that simple. I remember yesterday receiving ALL my iCloud emails INSTANTLY while I was at home on WIFI (based on your info below), I was even testing with a friend. I left the house, and for a while, on 3G, it was working fine, i.e. instant delivery of email.

Then as always a few hours later it would only deliver emails if I opened the Mail app on my iPhone 4S. Now, bear in mind, I have my device set to PUSH, but fetch every 15 minutes if for whatever reason PUSH fails.

There is simply NO consistency, rhyme or reason why this simply does not work like GMail\Google's email.

Simply weird...

No offense intended, I just got finished with a couple of my employees that were whining about the same thing - I'm not inferring anything about you. Just them...

I asked them both to RTF(rickin')M (on their own time, since it's iCloud email they're hooked up to, and they both missed what I was hoping they'd see - "Push delivers new information when iPhone is connected to a Wi-Fi network." - copied directly from the iPhone user manual. If one's on a cellular network, the Mail badge gets pushed a notification there's iCloud email, and that might be on the Fetch schedule depending on the network you're on (we have a lot of areas with USCC coverage here with no native VZW coverage, but that's besides my point). If Push isn't available, Fetch or Manual schedules are observed.

I also told them that, when they get a notification and they're on a cellular network, they actually have to open up the Mail app to refresh and fetch the iCloud email. And now they both owe me a beer (again, no personal inference). Other email providers have different pipes in iOS - I wish Apple would include a matrix somewhere that shows what's what. I read the manual before installing iOS, and I've read lots of posts here, on Apple Discussions, and elsewhere that I feel just didn't understand what "push" email is about. I also feel that Apple hasn't fully described its products capabilities - but, that's what the manual is for. FWIW, I have a BB that sits on my desk that maps my important accounts - mainly for the little red notification light, and it's about on par for notifications with my iPhone 99% of the time. FWIW, I have my Exchange work accounts in my iPhone set to Push, a Gmail account set to Push, and my iCloud accounts set to Fetch - and my BB (BES) nearby. Good luck. :)

B

bonesb

Thank you very much for this breakdown, bonesb.

But, I wish it were that simple. I remember yesterday receiving ALL my iCloud emails INSTANTLY while I was at home on WIFI (based on your info below), I was even testing with a friend. I left the house, and for a while, on 3G, it was working fine, i.e. instant delivery of email.

Then as always a few hours later it would only deliver emails if I opened the Mail app on my iPhone 4S. Now, bear in mind, I have my device set to PUSH, but fetch every 15 minutes if for whatever reason PUSH fails.

There is simply NO consistency, rhyme or reason why this simply does not work like GMail\Google's email.

Simply weird...

Thanks for the props, but I'm not done with you. Yet. :cool:

IMO, Apple's still working on getting XMPP notifications down. And, IMO, some users are missing that the iOS email badge and application are two different animals for MobileMe and iCloud mail, regardless of which network the device is talking to - the two are, in essence, different applications - one gets your email (Mail) and the other one (the badge) notifies you of mail; the Mail app is pushed or fetches email, and the badge gets notifications pushed to it, the latter via Apple's implementation of XMPP.

And, Apple hasn't - as far as I know - published what email protocols each service uses. Good luck with that. As for Google's email getting to you more timely, that's to be debated but not by me. Google licensed MS EAS, and they're using it. Apple has their own version of XMPP. Yahoo has their own proprietary push mechanism - and only for the iPhone no less. I'm not sure what MS is doing with Hotmail (Live). The iOS email app supports several protocols, I extol the use of whatever works for you - I'm not pushing iCloud at all, believe me.

As for delivery timing, push is way overrated IMO. I have a few friends that are on BES and BIS, and two of them on BIS are always telling me how great BBs are. Whatever. RIM offers that the BIS polling period is 15 minutes; yeah, I read their TOS and have been using BBs for years - and there were so many BIS outages I finally said fsck it (OK, something close to that) and moved to WebOS - which had/has an email client that really does have IMAP IDLE and great Exchange support. Apple needs to buy WebOS just for the email client tech.

OK, last bit. I've two iOS devices - all of my clients are on VZW, every last one of them, and all but two of my friends and family are on ATTWS, so I have one of each. My point? My ATTWS iPhone gets and reconciles its email from 2 to 10 minutes before my VZW iPhone 99 times out of 100 - no matter the account, whether they're on WiFi or cellular/PCS networks, at home or the office. I had a few emails from friends and clients this evening, and they were showing up on my ATTWS device up to 10 minutes earlier for Fetch and maybe 2-3 minutes for my Exchange accounts, and that's normal - my ATTWS device generally matches my BB, my VZW device never gets email before my BB or ATTWS device even in a native area (I was in a USCC region most of the holiday weekend with my mom and friends and the only thing that worked OK on my VZW iPhone were texts from friends) - I have no explanation for this disparity in delivery.

Hey, I stressed out about it (a bit) when I was paying for MM, but iCloud is free now. No ads, great calendaring and contact management, but meh email delivery. Maybe mapping your iCloud email account to a Gmail account? Just a thought. ;)

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I've been testing my iCloud email virtually all day. And thus far it seems to be working better ever...

Weird.

Also, I received an email from Mobile ME today, reminding me to move my old Mobile ME account [I had two] from Mobile ME to iCloud. I moved it today, and have an extra 20GB or so, till June 2012. I might have to test my iCloud email a bit more. I certainly want it to work correctly, because the one thing I hate the MOST about GMail is the ads on the web interface.

Yes, the dreaded ads. That's exactly what prompted me to move. Plus, I like the integrated nature of all things Apple/iCloud :)

NoMoCentro

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
I can't access iCloud Mail on a Win7 machine using Chrome or IE9. Everything else in iCloud is accessible except for Mail. If I report the issue to Apple I just keep looping around and around and around.

Yes I have reset my password (several times), cleared the cookies, etc. Nothing works on my end and Apple keeps sending me that useless error message. :mad:

I'll stick with my Gmail and Yahoo accounts.

I just wish I could access my Mail at least once. It is currently chewing up nearly 5 MB of my storage space. Yes, almost all my storage is being eaten up by something that I have no access to. Apple really needs to get their "poop in a group". I hope I can get access soon so I can shut down this worthless "service".