iCloud email [@me.com]

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
We all know that the Junk\Spam option\function on GMail is simply brilliant...

But, iCloud [@me.com] email seems to have so many false positives. If one doesn't check that folder daily, one could miss legitimate emails.

Is there any really solution for this?

Thanks in advance

Ivan

NoleScream

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
We all know that the Junk\Spam option\function on GMail is simply brilliant...

But, iCloud [@me.com] email seems to have so many false positives. If one doesn't check that folder daily, one could miss legitimate emails.

Is there any really solution for this?

Thanks in advance

Ivan

Does adding the email address to your contacts not automatically let it through? I thought that was pretty standard for an email system, but I've never really used me.com email. Maybe it doesn't work like that?

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I wish it were that simple...

I've been testing with my Yahoo, GMail and Hotmail email accounts, they are ALL in my Contacts in iCloud, and still, they'd sit in the Junk folder (not all the time). Most annoying because you'd think that ALL your Contacts would be automatically 'allowed', period.

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
...any ideas, anyone? Do you check your Junk folder periodically?

Honestly, the only idea is to use another e-mail provider until Apple gets iCloud mail to work properly. Calendar, reminders, and contacts are great with iCloud... but iCloud's e-mail just plain sucks. It's inconsistant and feels like it's still a beta product.

NoleScream

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I wish it were that simple...

I've been testing with my Yahoo, GMail and Hotmail email accounts, they are ALL in my Contacts in iCloud, and still, they'd sit in the Junk folder (not all the time). Most annoying because you'd think that ALL your Contacts would be automatically 'allowed', period.

Bummer. I'm still on Gmail, so I had no clue. The iCloud email and the Calendar are the only two things I don't totally love. The email, because of situations like you describe and I don't care for the iCloud.com interface for it. The calendar for two reasons. iCloud.com seems super slow compared to Google Calendar and iCloud does not let me send an email as a reminder instead of setting an alert. Most of the time alerts are fine, but there are times I just want an email to hang out in my inbox to remind me of something instead of the phone ringing.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
iCloud works fine for me. I don't use calendars. I don't have junk email as I don't give out my iCloud email account to just anyone. My friends don't know I have it, nothing.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
iCloud works fine for me. I don't use calendars. I don't have junk email as I don't give out my iCloud email account to just anyone. My friends don't know I have it, nothing.

I think the whole point is that he gets email thrown to the junk pile that is legit.

I don't use icloud email though i have one set up. Probably would make sense to uncheck it.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
...you see when one speaks too soon, what happens is things STOP working! So, iCloud email is not PUSHing anymore, albeit it worked fine for about 48 hours.

I give up, I'll stick with GMail. Maybe I'll use a client for GMail to thus avoid seeing the ads on their website.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
...you see when one speaks too soon, what happens is things STOP working! So, iCloud email is not PUSHing anymore, albeit it worked fine for about 48 hours.

I give up, I'll stick with GMail. Maybe I'll use a client for GMail to thus avoid seeing the ads on their website.

I had issues a couple of days ago too... but it's fine now, any updates?

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Mark as spam"?

I've been getting spam email in my @me.com account. I've sent the messages to the "junk" folder but there is no actual "mark as spam" button, is there?

static|divide

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Ready for my brilliant response?

What I do is simply forward all email that comes to me @me.com account to my Gmail account. Problem solved, plus you're not checking email in two places.

Just login to iCloud.com, then go to Mail, then click the little gear in the top right corner, Preferences... and on the first tab there's an option that says "Forward all mail to..." and simply put your Gmail account in there. Below that is the option to delete any mail after it is forwarded or not (checkbox). That's up to you. If you want to set up particular rules in Gmail, just make them if SENDER is "account@me.com", then either send it to this folder or do this or that.

As someone else pointed out to me on the (official) Apple forums, @me.com addresses also accept the +tag convention that Gmail does, which is awesome. So you can tell someone to send you an email at "account+test@me.com" and it will go to "account@me.com"! When it forwards, I believe it will also come from "account+test@me.com" for which you can setup specific rules -- either in iCloud itself (which also has its own rules section that you could use to possibly "whitelist" senders") or just use Gmail itself.

Personally, if something is a newsletter, I'll put in my email as like "account+newsletter@me.com" (or @gmail.com) and I can sort it to a specific folder, etc from that. For instance, the first rule I would set up after forwarding to Gmail would be "any mail from *@me.com" --- "do not mark as spam", "apply label (whatever, if you want it to label/tag those)" etc.

You can really use the +tag to your advantage. If you KNOW something is gonna be junk that you don't want, I have a special "account+spam@gmail.com" rule that says "mark as read, send to spam folder (or directly to the trash), bypass the inbox". Likewise, for important emails I *never* want to miss, I use the tag "account+notspam@gmail.com" and add the rule "never send this to spam" to ensure that never happens.

Be creative with it, I have a bunch of special uses, such as:

+alert (star it, mark it as important, never send to spam, maybe forward it to a special account that only emergency emails are supposed to go to)
+newsletter (usually bypass inbox, go to Newsletters/whatever)
+urgent (will be starred and marked as important, never sent to spam, pretty much identical to +alert from above)
+receipt (for all my iTunes purchases, especially the free ones, it gets annoying to get an email after every app I download, so I have them set to automatically bypass my Inbox and go directly to Receipts/iTunes label "folder" if the sender is "whatever@whatever.itunes.com")

The possibilities are almost endless with this system. Also, with Gmail, if someone asks for your email, but you don't REALLY want them to have it long term, I believe you can always use a period (hard stop) in the email address anywhere, and it will still be delivered to you, BUT you can always set up a rule in the future to automatically delete any emails sent to that address! For me, I usually give my friends "firstnamelastname@gmail.com", and those who I just want to use temporarily I'll give them "firstname.lastname@gmail.com" which appears to most people to be a perfectly legit email address and they won't question it, plus you'll still receive it (if you want).

Give all that a shot, let me know if that's a good solution for you. I hope I could help out! I know that's a frustrating problem to have. :)

(I want to note, although MOST email systems allow the + in your email address, there ARE some sites that refuse it as a valid email. Just be aware of that possibility. For THOSE instances, that might be a case where you could alternatively add a period in your email, and use that as a filter, as this is pretty much universally accepted. So you know if you have email coming to "firstname.lastname@gmail.com" to process it according to whatever logic makes sense to you. Good luck!)

Last edited:

static|divide

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I've been getting spam email in my @me.com account. I've sent the messages to the "junk" folder but there is no actual "mark as spam" button, is there?

Yep, you're in luck. Once you're in the website, and in the email area... same as the above response -- in the top right of the email, there's a little dropdown menu that says "Mark as". Click that, then choose "Junk Mail". Boom! How easy was that. Right under your nose. As far as doing it from your mobile device, all I know to do is to hit "Move" and physically move it to the "Junk" folder.

Actually, I just realized this also... all you have to do is drag an email onto the Junk folder, then let it move in there, and it'll automatically be tagged as Junk. Likewise, if you find something legitimate in the Junk folder, you can select the email and there's an obvious button there that says "NOT SPAM" -- which may help the original poster with his dilemma as well. I can't recall if he said he'd tried this yet or not.

notjunk.jpg

Whoops, I think it may cut it off (but ironically, if you switch to mobile view at the bottom dropdown box here, it will show the entire image it seems). If it does, here's the direct link to the full image. Looks like URL posting is enabled? So you'll have to copy and paste, sorry.

http://f.cl.ly/items/2f0m0L071H2L2Q0V291J/notjunk.jpg

Last edited: