Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,096 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Possible to change/create new iCloud email?

As the title states, is it possible without creating a new Apple ID? If so, how? TIA
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    As the title states, is it possible without creating a new Apple ID? If so, how? TIA
    I believe you can make an alias on iCloud.com and use that. You cannot remove the original one.
    iPhone Intermediate

How do you go about creating an alias?
    Laura Elizebeth Harris on the iBooks Store
    ~Laura~
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by leharris22 View Post
    How do you go about creating an alias?
    Click Mail.
    Click the cog icon in the upper right.
    Click Preference, then @addresses tab / button
    On the lower left "Add an alias" (you can have up to 3).

Hope that helps!
    Thanked by:
    Garz (11-29-2011), leharris22 (11-29-2011), LVMHgirl (11-29-2011)
    iPhone Intermediate

That's great to know. If you get bored with your address you can always change your alias.
    ~Laura~
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    iOS 5.0.1

I love the alias option! I created an alias for all those website registrations, purchases, newsletters, etc that we all sign up for. It makes it easy to sort, not to mention I created a much shorter alias than my actual iCloud email address..
    Live, Laugh, Love and then there's...Apple!
    "It Just Works!"
    iPhone 5 32GB | iMac | MacBook Pro | iPad WiFi 32GB | Apple TV 2 | AirPort Extreme
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,096 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by NoleScream View Post
    Click Mail.

Hope that helps!
    awesome! I will try that out
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,096 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Just did it. Awesome! It worked
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    Just did it. Awesome! It worked
    Awesome! Glad I could help!
    Thanked by:
    Garz (11-29-2011)
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,325 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I forgot an had two alias' created. I'm tested them now...
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Click Mail.

Hope that helps!
    Cool, thanks!
    Formerly PCgirl on CB.com and BBForums
    Star-Tac --> Nextel (ugh!) --> BB 8100 --> 8300 --> 8900 --> 9700 --> iPhone 4S --> 5
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,325 Global Posts
    iOS Version

...curious, with adding an Alias, I can see how to make it the default online, via iCloud, but on your iOS device is there a way to make that address the default?
    iMore Expert

Guys, when sending emails from the iphone with the new alias dont forget to select it from the " from " field, otherwise it will use your default me.com address
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,325 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Exactly, Guacho, just a pain to always have to change it...
    iPhone Intermediate

I love this. I have now made iCloud my main email account. Just transferred the thousands of emails I had from Gmail. Plus, no advertising (yet)!
    ~Laura~
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,325 Global Posts
    iOS Version

...but do you use your alias account as your 'main' email address? If yes, when sending emails from your iOS devices, you have to always select that email address to send from, no?

Quote Originally Posted by leharris22 View Post
    I love this. I have now made iCloud my main email account. Just transferred the thousands of emails I had from Gmail. Plus, no advertising (yet)!
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by naviwilliams View Post
    ...but do you use your alias account as your 'main' email address? If yes, when sending emails from your iOS devices, you have to always select that email address to send from, no?
    The only workaround I found was on the Apple support forums.

. Use the alias as the email address. Incoming mail server is mail.me.com. User name and password is your primary acct name. Outgoing server is smtp.mail.com.

This will allow you to send mail from alias. You will continue to receive mail for all aliases and the primary.
    Thanked by:
    leharris22 (11-30-2011), naviwilliams (11-30-2011)
  18. Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,096 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Too bad you cant use your alias as a email account for iMessage
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,325 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Leo if you add the account onto the device as 'Other', can you make it the iMessage default then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,509 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

The only workaround I found was on the Apple support forums.

. Use the alias as the email address. Incoming mail server is mail.me.com. User name and password is your primary acct name. Outgoing server is smtp.mail.com.

This will allow you to send mail from alias. You will continue to receive mail for all aliases and the primary.[/I]

if i read correctly, using this method, incoming mail will only be accessible by fetch and not push, can anyone who is using this confirm?
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version

Thumbs up A far easier and better solution!

There is a much easier and more functional way to create a REAL, new iCloud account-- even if you have an existing one.

Simply go into your settings, then Mail... hit "New mail account...", then choose iCloud from the very top. Enter all of your info and the email address you'd like... and then create it. Take a look at my other post below for more details and screenshots.

Beautiful. Now you've got a full-fledged iCloud email account with sync ability and everything. Aliases are very limited and shouldn't be used as "real" email accounts for full functionality!

This also would negate your problem mentioned about not being able to use an alias as an iMessage account, etc.

Here's the bad news about aliases:

You only get 3 (the average person)... and that's it. They're very limited, as all they do is basically forward email to your main iCloud/@me.com account. They were never meant to be used as that.

Here's the bad. It is possible to delete alias accounts, but I'm pretty positive that once you delete an alias email, you can never use it again. This prevents somoene else from grabbing an email that you once had as an alias and then start receiving say... your account info or transaction info from places you've used that email at. It's a security thing.

So in creating a new iCloud account, you'll probably not be able to re-use anything you've entered previously as an alias... sorry.

One last tip, I did this for my other iDevice, which I plan to upgrade to iOS5 soon, but can't right now.... but I wanted to ensure that I got the email address I wanted for it. That's how I found this little neat trick out. At the very last step, it's going to ask you what all you want to sync. Since the new account will be EMPTY, I am not sure what effect leaving the syncing ON will do. I surely doubt that it would wipe out the contents of your main account with blank data, at worst case scenario it would MERGE them, and merging nothing with something = something. So my best guess is that it'll duplicate your first iCloud contents (or the contents on your device) over to that account. That'd be a great way to migrate to a new account, if that were the case.

Either way, I didn't press my luck. Just flip everything to OFF and hit cancel or whatever -- at that point you can actually just go to iCloud.com and login using your new email and password and get to everything there (and actually confirm it's a working, real account).

I'm not sure how many people know this, as I've never seen anyone talk about it anywhere else... so maybe keep it close -- it would suck if Apple closed that up and prevented us from being to do that in the future!

Toss me some approvals or Likes or whatever reputation points if I helped you please! I'm a newb! Though, I'm answering a lot of questions, so I hope I'm a welcome addition! :o
    Last edited by static|divide; 12-16-2011 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Reason for asking?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,509 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

Quote Originally Posted by static|divide View Post
    There is a much easier and more functional way, everybody -- to create a REAL new iCloud account... even if you have an existing one. Simply go into your settings, then Mail... hit "New mail account...", then choose iCloud from the very top. Enter all of your info and the email address you'd like... and then create it.
    after i select iCloud it asks for my Apple ID & password

then i get the following message "This iCloud account has already been to your iPhone"

cannot get any further..
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by BLiNK View Post
    after i select iCloud it asks for my Apple ID & password

then i get the following message "This iCloud account has already been to your iPhone"

cannot get any further..
    Oh really... interesting. Let me have a look on mine really quick, I don't recall any such problem or any problem at all, for that matter...

Ok, I have both accounts actually co-existing on my iPhone right now, only the second one has every option set to OFF.

So here's where I went.... Settings->Mail, Contacts, Calendars and then I get a list of my current accounts. I choose "Add Account..." at the bottom, hit iCloud, then at this point are you choosing "Get a Free Apple ID" or trying to enter something in the top Apple ID and password? I bet that's where you're going wrong at, from your description. The top, that's for existing accounts. You want to choose "Get a Free Apple ID" at the bottom, then go from there (it will first ask you some basic information like your country, DOB on the first screen).. then you hit Next... and take it from there. Please try that, and let me know your results or let me know if that's actually what you did.

I took screenshots of my setup to prove and show it:

NOTE
    Name censored to protect the innocent and/or guilty.

NOTE
    The reason Mail is set to off, is explained below, I forward all emails from my @me.com account to my Gmail account. I don't want to have to check two different places (or have the extra drain of my iPhone having to deal with another email server that I know is pointless).

NOTE
    The main account screen. Shows that I do, indeed have two @me.com accounts on the same phone. This is verified by the fact that I can login to both via the web interface and setup contacts, calendars, etc independently.

I have iCloud email cut off, and Gmail account in there is ONLY checking mail and not syncing any calendars or contacts. I don't need to, that's being done by my iCloud account and I don't want to worry about two sources of contacts and calendars and what's going where and this and that. There's no "special motive" as to why it's set up like this -- it's just what works for me.
    Last edited by static|divide; 12-16-2011 at 11:13 PM. Reason: nunya business! what's done is done!
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,509 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

i see. you did not mention having to create another Apple ID in your original post. is there any disadvantage in having multiple Apple ID's? i apologize if you mentioned something about it already but your posts are rather lengthy
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: Possible to change/create new iCloud email?

Quote Originally Posted by LVMHgirl View Post
    Cool, thanks!
    It doesn't let me login iCloud and only says to setup iCloud on your device