Sync Outlook 2010 to iPhone 4S from rookie with new phone

emjayess

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
[UPDATE: to anyone coming to this thread for the first time: this odyssey begins with trying to sync Outlook to the iPhone and covers a good portion of that area; if that's your situation, I think you'll learn a few things that might be helpful. However, I eventually settled on buying a Mac and then had to figure out how to convert Outlook files to the Mac, which was another problem; I did find solutions and third-party software that worked. Good luck!]

Hello TiPb!

I just bought my first iPhone today, the 4S. I am trying to figure out the best way to sync Outlook 2010.

Previously, I have used CompanionLink to sync Outlook to Google, then my old device synced to Google for Calendar and Contacts and directly to a variety of e-mail accounts etc. I set the device to delete e-mail when deleted from the server.

So, I'm trying to understand iCloud and whether or not I need to use CompanionLink (and whether I need to upgrade CL, as well).

I just installed the iCloud control panel on my PC and I have the latest version if iTunes. But I haven't configured the iCloud control panel yet because I'm not sure which is the best option that will give me the best, most complete sync.

Also, I would like to cut the cord to google and not have my data on the web; however, I'm not sure if iCloud control panel sync stores it in the actual iCloud or just does a local sync via Wi-Fi when I am at home.

Thanks for your patience with a rookie!

Last edited:
B

bonesb

You related one key preference - to not keep your data "in the cloud". Simple answer - forget iCloud and use CL (upgrade if necessary, maybe "cross grade" is more like it - CL might give you a discount if you tell them you're already an owner an earlier version; they're right across the Willamette River from me, great customer service!).

iCloud is simply a cloud-based network portal/repository, just like Google is with their apps/services.

The only "advantage" I can see for you with iCloud relative to Outlook is iCloud offers CardDAV- and CalDAV-specific formatting the iPhone can take advantage of that Outlook doesn't offer, but that's another whole long story. If you want to avoid cloud-space, CL/DejaOffice/Outlook is a great solution for iOS - but make sure you have the updated/latest version of CL!!!!!

emjayess

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, bonesb, for your quick reply!

Yes, I prefer to keep the data out of the cloud, just wasn't sure if there's a difference between iCloud services on the phone and iCloud control panel etc. I'll check out how much it'll cost me to upgrade CL.

What else can I do with the iCloud control panel, i.e., should I just uninstall it if I'm not syncing Outlook?

lv1

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Not sure whay your objection with ICloud is? I use it completely now and cut the cord. Just set up what you want to synch in ITunes. For Outlook got to the ITunes Info panel and check what you want to synch. On the summary page check Backup to Icloud. Also adjust you ICloud control panel settings and you will be good to go. All your devices will then be in synch.

emjayess

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Oops! Not quite there yet...

Thanks, laslo, I think you might have a point.

After purchasing CompanionLink for Outlook earlier today (my old version was for Google, so it cost me $35 with the Thanksgiving discount), I was able to sync my Outlook data, but there was a catch:

I had to download the free app bonesb mentioned, DejaOffice. The problem is, these are separate office apps and do not integrate with the iPhone stock apps; therefore, no caller ID info comes up with calls and I cannot send a text message easily by just typing a name or launching a text from a contact, e.g., I had to type my wife's phone number in to send a text! The DejaOffice calendar doesn't look as nice as the iPhone stock calendar, either--although I might be mistaken given I haven't used the stock app yet.

You also have to open DejaOffice from the app launcher page to get at the individual office apps, adding a step which is annoying.

Due to the fact I'm coming from 2 1/2 years of webOS and synergy, you might say I'm a bit frustrated!

O.K., so, what am I missing here? I guess I can use iCloud if I can get all my contacts to sync and seamlessly use the phone and messages etc., but I want to check to see if I'm missing something with DejaOffice and CompanionLink and make use of the #35...

Thanks again for helping clue me in with the new platform!:)

emjayess

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Still wondering...

O.K., so I tried both methods and they both worked....sort of.

The DejaOffice app has my data and, as I mentioned above, it requires an extra tap.

I was also able to sync Outlook to stock apps via the iCloud control panel; however, at the end of the sync, the app hangs and Windows tries to diagnose it, but cannot and I must close the app before it indicates it's finished. I did this twice. The 4S has the data, but I'm not sure yet if it has all of it due to the fact iCloud Control panel didn't finish. It also doesn't seem to want to sync the photos.

I also figured out the search function on the far left launch page with can quickly find a contact and begin various operations, so I'm very happy about that--reminds me of "Just Type" in webOS. The stock contact app is better than DejaOffice's, too.

So, a few questions:

I don't see any notes in the stock apps--where do Outlook Notes go? They did show up in the DejaOffice app.

I really like the fact that DejaOffice calendar keeps my color categories for events from Outlook. The stock calendar does not. Is there a way to get it to do so?

Are there other advantages and/or disadvantages to using the DejaOffice apps instead of the stock Office apps? I'm leaning toward the stock apps, but I'm so green, I'd like to get the opinions of experienced iPhone owners etc.

Finally, how do I get the mail app to delete e-mails once I open Outlook and the e-mails download to the PC? My webOS Pre would do this and it was great not having to delete them one-by-one on the device.

By the way, iTunes synced the music I wanted on the iPhone seamlessly and I'm really looking forward to seeing how much better it works than my iPod Classic! I'll still use the classic due to the massive storage of 160GB, but I'm really tired of the control wheel. (But I need a case for the iPhone now!)

Thank you!

emjayess

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Help!!

I opened iCloud today and ran it again. Then it DELETED all my Outlook Calendar events and my contacts on my PC!

Fortunately, it saved a new calendar in Outlook called iCloud Calendar. Everything is still intact on the stock calendar on the iPhone.

So, how do I restore the Calendar to it's original spot in Outlook? I should note that the new iCloud calendar in Outlook is MISSING EVENTS!! Therefore, the "overlay" of calendar feature is not good enough. I want the original back--from iPHone back to Outlook?

Worse comes to worse, I have a backup of Outlook that I did on Wednesday, but I'd rather avoid that because it will likely produce duplicates of e-mails or something.

Thanks!

B

bonesb

Thanks, bonesb, for your quick reply!

Yes, I prefer to keep the data out of the cloud, just wasn't sure if there's a difference between iCloud services on the phone and iCloud control panel etc. I'll check out how much it'll cost me to upgrade CL.

What else can I do with the iCloud control panel, i.e., should I just uninstall it if I'm not syncing Outlook?

You are welcome, sorry for not getting back to you sooner, had to travel a few hundred miles to have dinner with mom and friends for the holiday, more friends just showed up with a bottle of Bushmills 16-year (Bushmills is a wonderful town - yes, I've been there a few times!) and the shot glasses are being broken out...

Short version, I'll revisit this tomorrow - there is a huge difference in iCloud-related data and Outlook-related data. For some reason, every single one of my clients don't get that Outlook is a PIM (personal information manager) - and the way Outlook stores and transfers data is different than every other PIM, and iCloud and Outlook (Mac and Windows versions, both of which I use) have a subset of data types they share/use. I extoll the use of one platform only for my clients - which reduces the number of callbacks, wasted trips, and - most importantly - unhappy clients. I do use iCloud, Exchange, Google Apps, and Outlook - BUT - I keep OS and platform environments mutually exclusive. I have a few friends that mix Outlook (Windows) with iCloud, and they're not happy. Outlook isn't built for iCloud, and vice versa - Outlook is built for Exchange Server and standalone PIM use, the iCloud Control Panel is a "converter" and not a perfect one. Unless you're prepared to pore through your Registry or Console records, just don't do it. If you absolutely must use Outlook and want some online access, consider Hotmail as your cloud platform, and do not edit your contacts/calendars on your iOS device. Outlook has a specific set of data fields, and iOS has a specific set of data fields - and they DO NOT map one-for-one, by design. There will be naysayers that do not agree with me about this, but they do not know what they're writing about. Keep your OS/mobile OS environments separate - this coming from a Mac fanatic (because it's easy-to-use UNIX), but I'm all for not having to waste time editing things like contacts and calendars...

The iOS sees "Outlook Calendar" as your Main Calendar, and doesn't see "Categories" - Apple moved to CalDAV ages ago - a calendaring protocol (CalDAV is NOT a "standard" as so many will blindly tell us) that is very different than how Outlook 2010/2011 work. Outlook notes aren't synched to iOS via the iCloud Control Platform - you're wanting to stay "local" right(?), and each cloud platform has different tie-ins to iOS.

I hear the clinking, so it's time to offer a "Failte" and drink up.

emjayess

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Wow! Thanks bone-man (I can call you "bone-man," can't I?! <8^p )--that was most enlightening!

O.K., so I think I got it: this whole cross-platform thang is a bad idea. Should have stayed with uber cross platform and tweakable webOS....

Nah. Also a dead platform. (Insert moment of silence here.)

O.K., so Apple's/Jobs' hyper-exclusivity jones can be a pain, I think that's the lesson. A rookie to a new platform always gets a few lessons while gettin' his cherry popped, that's a given. But I forgot that as the siren Siri beckoned. So thanks for the reminder. (Tired of the schtick?! Me too, but it's late and it's all I've got.)

Let's say I'm patient--until Monday, at least, when I'm back driving around the city and seeing clients and I must have a functional smartphone and working calendar and contacts etc.--and I can wait 2 days while we figure this one out.

On the one hand, I do not like DejaOffice (or green eggs and ham), but do you think I must accept it in order to have Outlook syncing with the iPhone? Or: Is there any hope for the iCloud given its potential?

I did a google search and found many folks with the same frustrations (I know, I know--should have done that before I forked over the big bucks and another 2 year Sprint contract.). Some seem to have figured out how to restore their default Outlook calendar, but I'm not sure if anyone found an Outlook/iCloud solution (those threads are long!).

Any ideas now that it's Saturday and you've lubricated your neurons a bit?!

Many thanks!

B

bonesb

Wow! Thanks bone-man (I can call you "bone-man," can't I?!

Uh, no. It's a 25 year old nickname, others have tried, and failed. I'm 6'7", 250#, so it's a short laugh when I say no...

O.K., so I think I got it: this whole cross-platform thang is a bad idea. Should have stayed with uber cross platform and tweakable webOS....

Nah. Also a dead platform. (Insert moment of silence here.)

O.K., so Apple's/Jobs' hyper-exclusivity jones can be a pain, I think that's the lesson. A rookie to a new platform always gets a few lessons while gettin' his cherry popped, that's a given. But I forgot that as the siren Siri beckoned. So thanks for the reminder. (Tired of the schtick?! Me too, but it's late and it's all I've got.)

Let's say I'm patient--until Monday, at least, when I'm back driving around the city and seeing clients and I must have a functional smartphone and working calendar and contacts etc.--and I can wait 2 days while we figure this one out.

On the one hand, I do not like DejaOffice (or green eggs and ham), but do you think I must accept it in order to have Outlook syncing with the iPhone? Or: Is there any hope for the iCloud given its potential?

I did a google search and found many folks with the same frustrations (I know, I know--should have done that before I forked over the big bucks and another 2 year Sprint contract.). Some seem to have figured out how to restore their default Outlook calendar, but I'm not sure if anyone found an Outlook/iCloud solution (those threads are long!).

Any ideas now that it's Saturday and you've lubricated your neurons a bit?!

Many thanks!

Looked to see the Mac's still running to check for messages, we're heading back out. WebOS? My Pre+ is sitting on a shelf, Synergy was/is great, but half-baked. Nuff written on Palm.

My suggestion after a couple of shots of Bushmills (not driving) is to use a Live/Hotmail account and the MS Outlook Connector (which doesn't suck). I use two Hotmail accounts (testing for Office 365), and MS has turned on IMAP for iOS along with support for contacts/calendars/reminders - you won't get color mapping and multiple alerts for calendars, but I think that Live support isn't that bad for iOS so far.

OK, the limo is here...

lv1

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, laslo, I think you might have a point.

After purchasing CompanionLink for Outlook earlier today (my old version was for Google, so it cost me $35 with the Thanksgiving discount), I was able to sync my Outlook data, but there was a catch:

I had to download the free app bonesb mentioned, DejaOffice. The problem is, these are separate office apps and do not integrate with the iPhone stock apps; therefore, no caller ID info comes up with calls and I cannot send a text message easily by just typing a name or launching a text from a contact, e.g., I had to type my wife's phone number in to send a text! The DejaOffice calendar doesn't look as nice as the iPhone stock calendar, either--although I might be mistaken given I haven't used the stock app yet.

You also have to open DejaOffice from the app launcher page to get at the individual office apps, adding a step which is annoying.

Due to the fact I'm coming from 2 1/2 years of webOS and synergy, you might say I'm a bit frustrated!

O.K., so, what am I missing here? I guess I can use iCloud if I can get all my contacts to sync and seamlessly use the phone and messages etc., but I want to check to see if I'm missing something with DejaOffice and CompanionLink and make use of the #35...

Thanks again for helping clue me in with the new platform!:)
My ICloud sync works perfectly now. Here is what I do. I first synch my phone wiith outlook on my PC at work. The PC is on an exchamge server but I synch to my Outlook Calendar using ITunes with a USB cable. I then make sure that "Backup tp ICloud" is checked in ITunes. Also in the ITUNES Info Tab "all caslendars" is checked. There should be both an ICloud Calendar and Outlook or PC Calendar in Itunes. These same calendars will also be listed in Outlook. After you synch, the information from the work calendar appears on my IPhone, ICloud.com and my home computer when I open up Outlook and on IPad (if I had one). When you create new appointments make sure you enter the appointments into the ICloud Calendar in Outlook. There is also an ICloud Task Folder in Outlook. Any entire you make there will appear on your IPhone. I had some problems initially because my work computer runs Windows XP but someone developed a simple hack that allows the Cloud Contorl Panel to run on XP.

B

bonesb

So I talked with a few friends using Outlook 2010 (including my litigation attorney) and using an iOS device, they're all wanting to stay local mainly for security reasons, and all but one of them are using CL. The one hold out is using Office 365 to sync data, which is where I'm going after 3 years of Google Apps. It just works, CL that is. My litigation attorney offered you should be sure to make sure your phone has the latest carrier update for DejaOffice to work as intended.

The post above, however well meaning, is just a kludge IMO. Another computer, at work no less, and a hack to make it work on an OS that isn't on Apple's list. I'd move on from that after just a few lines. Do keep in mind that iCloud and Outlook store data very differently. If CL doesn't work for you try Missing Link by Mark/Space (I used it when I was using S60 in 2005) - don't flinch at money, they're both cheap when you figure in the cost of therapy. BTW, your clients will love you when they know that their data isn't in the cloud somewhere...

companionlink

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

I just found this thread today, so I hope I'm not too late to offer some help. To address your comment above - we are actively working to improve DejaOffice on iOS. If you have specific feedback on what you think we could add or improve on, I'd love to hear it so that I can pass it along to our developer! That said, DejaOffice currently has a feature built-in that allows you to sync from DejaOffice to Apple's native contacts and calendar apps. If you'd like to learn more about it, visit http://www.dejaoffice.com/classroom/iphone/djoclassroom-sync.html#nativesync

I should mention, however, that we built DejaOffice because the native apps on most phones simply don't handle the same kinds of data Outlook and other CRM tools do. You've experienced this when things like contacts notes don't seem to sync over. DejaOffice is built to handle the unique fields that Outlook has, as well as any custom fields you may use. Syncing DejaOffice with Apple's native apps allows you to take advantage of things like Caller ID, but be aware that Apple's native apps won't get the same data DejaOffice can.

I hope the above info helps. If you have any additional questions, just let me know! I'm subscribed to this thread now, so I'll be watching for updates.

- David
CompanionLink Software

emjayess

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I think I've seen the light....

Thanks so much bonesb and David of CL! :) (And bonesb, sorry about the nickname--was just kidding around and I promise pull that boner again... ;) I'm only 6'1", but I can run pretty fast!)

Yes, I've since discovered you are both most wise (and humble, too...sort of)!

First, I tried the iTunes solution this past week as I had to have something for work--rather unsatisfying, but works in a pinch.

Next, I found a iCloud solution with a third-party piece of software called "OLMixedFolders" at Somebytes Software (in Germany, it seems). Wow, after $30 and a lot of time, I had to abandon it. They seem to be well intentioned, but my PC just couldn't handle it. I did post many questions on their forum, but once I got all the answers, it still didn't work (at least not so far--I just don't much more time to wait for all the overseas troubleshooting with the work week fast approaching.)

So I figured I'd revisit the CL and DejaOffice (DO) solution. My main resistance was the fact that the DO apps required a tap on the main DO icon to get to them. But then I started reading up on DO on their web site and realized the feature set was worth the little bit of trouble of accessing the apps.

So, now I have upgraded CL and I'm syncing just fine, thank you very much!

David, thanks for letting us know you are working hard to improve DO--I didn't know you guys were the developers, but that is most encouraging! (I used CL with Google and my Palm/HP Pre for several years. But as bonesb mentioned, I'd prefer to keep sensitive data off the cloud and I've deleted everything from iCloud.)

In fact, I just posted a few requests for changes on the DO forum before I revisited this thread. They're not approved by the moderator yet, but here's a quick summary;

1. Make the app icons stand alone on the main iPhone launcher pages thus reducing the amount of taps necessary to access them.

2. Allow multiple category filtering in the Calendar, i.e., I'd like to have a view of just two most frequently used categories rather than them all.

Thanks so much for the great Outlook solution and I'll be looking forward to the updates of DejaOffice!

EDIT a few hours later: Well, now CL is not syncing. It keeps showing the "Unable to connect to remote device" error. I've combed the CL site and tried all the troubleshooting advice, but it's still inconsistent and, now, not syncing at all. I'm getting really tired of all this, but I know new devices can take a while to set up and get running--but Apple devices were supposed to "just work," yes?! ;-)

Will call CL tomorrow, I guess....will post with results.

EDIT #2: Seems I must restart DejaOffice on the iPhone each time I want to sync. David, if you're there, please clarify or confirm--right now, the syncing seems inconsistent. Thanks.

Last edited:

companionlink

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
EDIT a few hours later: Well, now CL is not syncing. It keeps showing the "Unable to connect to remote device" error. I've combed the CL site and tried all the troubleshooting advice, but it's still inconsistent and, now, not syncing at all. I'm getting really tired of all this, but I know new devices can take a while to set up and get running--but Apple devices were supposed to "just work," yes?! ;-)

Will call CL tomorrow, I guess....will post with results.

EDIT #2: Seems I must restart DejaOffice on the iPhone each time I want to sync. David, if you're there, please clarify or confirm--right now, the syncing seems inconsistent. Thanks.

Is it safe to assuming you are syncing via WiFi? If so, this is a known bug and it will be fixed in an update (1.2.9) that has already been submitted to Apple for approval. Hopefully it will be approved shortly. In the meantime, we have a temporary solution posted here, which I believe you have found already: http://www.companionlink.com/support/kb/IPhone/iPad/iOS_Wi-Fi_Error_Unable_to_Connect_to_Remote_Device.

(If you're note syncing via WiFi, let me know and I can try to figure out what's going on)

- David

emjayess

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, David, I'll be watching for the update!

Another couple of items: it looks like photos for contacts are not synced--am I missing something about how to do this?

I'd also really like to be able to copy appointments quickly with all the fields (I'm been spoiled by Homebrew teaks in webOS, I guess!). I do this daily with clients when making new appointments and they cannot be repeat/recurrences. So far, I have to copy and paste the subject text (nothing else like day and time) and that takes relatively long for a "smart"phone, you know?!

So, am I missing how to do this?

EDIT: Oh, crap: I just realized that using CL and DejaOffice might mess up my ability to make appointments and access contacts via Siri voice commands! Is this the case?! Edit #2: O.K., I went into settings and told DJO to sync with Apple Calendar and Contacts: however, it's only syncing Contacts, not Calendar. Please advise.

Last edited:

companionlink

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Another couple of items: it looks like photos for contacts are not synced--am I missing something about how to do this?

DejaOffice for iOS does not currently support contact photos - it's something we're working on adding, but I don't have an ETA for it at this point. Sorry!

I'd also really like to be able to copy appointments quickly with all the fields.

A good suggestion - I'll pass this along to our developers to see about adding this to a future release.

I went into settings and told DJO to sync with Apple Calendar and Contacts: however, it's only syncing Contacts, not Calendar. Please advise.

There is one known bug that may be causing your calendar to not sync, but it's extremely rare. It occurs when you are syncing an event that has a duration of 0 (i.e. begins and ends at the same time). Do you have one or more events like this that you are aware of? If so, I have a workaround and a fix is coming in an upcoming release.

- David Z
CompanionLink Software

emjayess

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Nope, none of my appointments have a duration of zero. Looking forward to that fix so Siri works with my calendar.

Seems no solution for syncing Outlook to the iPhone is complete. I guess the only solution is to go completely to the "dark side" and use a Mac, eh?! With all the Windows exclusive software I have purchased, that's not going to happen anytime soon; perhaps switch smartphones again someday?! Who knows?!

I guess we just have to enjoy the ride and remember the days of paper calendars and organizers (not to mention landlines and phone booths)!

Last edited:

emjayess

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE: After downloading the new version--1.2.9, the native iPhone Calendar is still not syncing with DJO. Is this going to be coming with the next version? I really need this functionality, thanks.

companionlink

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE: After downloading the new version--1.2.9, the native iPhone Calendar is still not syncing with DJO. Is this going to be coming with the next version? I really need this functionality, thanks.

At this point, we'll need to take a closer look in order to figure out what's going on. The easiest way to do this is to have you submit a ticket to our support team by filling one out online (http://www.companionlink.com/support/contact.html) or calling us at (702) 514-3644. One of our Support Techs will be able to help troubleshoot more specifically what's going on.

- David
CompanionLink