No Genius with Match on iPhone?

Nibbz

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
The icon to start a genius playlist that normally resides in the middle of your now playing bar is gone now that I've upgraded to iTunes match. What gives? I didn't sign up for this to have less features than if I were to just use my iTunes old school. Discussion?

NoleScream

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
My guess is that it's a temporary thing.

As it is now, Genius might have problems by selecting iCloud songs that aren't downloaded to your device yet, especially if you have 3G data turned off. My guess is that they will adjust Genius / Smart Playlists to have an option to use only songs physically on the device at the time or to go out and download any songs it might pick for a Genius playlist.

We shall see I guess, maybe that's something for 5.0.2 or 5.1?

Nibbz

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Your guess is simply speculation.

Why has no website reported this glaring omission? And why hasn't apple commented and/or made people aware that using iTunes match would disable this feature?

This is a huge feature that honestly helped me decide on jumping ship from android to iPhone. Google music has auto-playlist features, I know they stream instead of download to device, but still.

Nibbz

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Relax not a big deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It may not be a big deal for you, but for me it is. I got the iPod classic the generation before Genius was added. A simple feature that could've been added to my Classic through a software update but was not. I was a little annoyed then but understood why I didn't have it, it was a selling point for the new iPods. Well I have an iPhone now, and one of the features that attracted me to iPhone was being able to use genius on the go, like when I'm at work and don't have time to switch songs. It is a very important feature to me, so yes it is a big deal.

NoleScream

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
It may not be a big deal for you, but for me it is. I got the iPod classic the generation before Genius was added. A simple feature that could've been added to my Classic through a software update but was not. I was a little annoyed then but understood why I didn't have it, it was a selling point for the new iPods. Well I have an iPhone now, and one of the features that attracted me to iPhone was being able to use genius on the go, like when I'm at work and don't have time to switch songs. It is a very important feature to me, so yes it is a big deal.

Why not turn off iTunes Match on your device and sync manually until there is a fix for the issue? Genius should work then.

jayman30

Oct 28, 2008
www.iphonedownlow.com
I have this issue as well, looks like a bug with the new match service found a work around on the Apple Forums that works every time...
Select a song to play in Music (must be a song downloaded to the iPhone, not streamed)
Once it starts, close Music (home button)
Kill Music (app launcher)
Restart Music (will open to the song you had playing before)
Atomic symbol re-appears...
Couple of quirks
Only works with songs on your iPhone (not iMatched songs)
iMatched songs do add to a genius playlist once there (very strange)
Genius lists made on my MBP show up through iMatch, but are not refreshable
Genius lists I make on the iPhone are refreshable....

texaskd5

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
The icon to start a genius playlist that normally resides in the middle of your now playing bar is gone now that I've upgraded to iTunes match. What gives? I didn't sign up for this to have less features than if I were to just use my iTunes old school. Discussion?

I feel ya. I think maybe iTunes Match did not spend enough time as a Beta, reduction of standard features to push out a product is not very Apple-esk, hopefully they will rectify this soon.