Itunes match delete

dpriddy

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
So here is something I can't figure out and could become annoying.

I have half of my 90GB music library hard synced to my iphone.
If I hit shuffle and it downloads lots of songs to the iphone from the cloud at some point my iphone will fill up since I already only have 5gb free. How do I delete those new songs in one fell swoop since I didn't actually choose for them to be on the phone and they were just downloaded via shuffle? I've obviously gone through and picked the 45gb worth I always want on my phone but now how do I manage my music?

Also has anyone figured out how to delete a song you start downloading? While it is playing you can't swipe to delete. You have to play a different song and then swipe to delete. This becomes annoying if every song in that album is on the cloud and you don't want to download those so you have to go to a different album, play that song and then go back into the album you were in and delete the newly downloaded song.

Thanks,
Dan

bmuncy

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
So here is something I can't figure out and could become annoying.

I have half of my 90GB music library hard synced to my iphone.
If I hit shuffle and it downloads lots of songs to the iphone from the cloud at some point my iphone will fill up since I already only have 5gb free. How do I delete those new songs in one fell swoop since I didn't actually choose for them to be on the phone and they were just downloaded via shuffle? I've obviously gone through and picked the 45gb worth I always want on my phone but now how do I manage my music?

Also has anyone figured out how to delete a song you start downloading? While it is playing you can't swipe to delete. You have to play a different song and then swipe to delete. This becomes annoying if every song in that album is on the cloud and you don't want to download those so you have to go to a different album, play that song and then go back into the album you were in and delete the newly downloaded song.

Thanks,
Dan

If you want to prevent downloading anymore songs and u have all that you want for now. Just go under settings and under music uncheck the option to "Show All Music" This will hide everything that is not currently on your phone.

dpriddy

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
That's not what I want to do. I want to be able to identify what music is chosen through itunes sync and what has been randomly downloaded because I hit shuffle or just played a random song. I get that if I turn off itunes match I can sync again with itunes but will this allow me to delete what has been downloaded?

bmuncy

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
That's not what I want to do. I want to be able to identify what music is chosen through itunes sync and what has been randomly downloaded because I hit shuffle or just played a random song. I get that if I turn off itunes match I can sync again with itunes but will this allow me to delete what has been downloaded?

Not sure if I understand your question. On iTunes you can click on songs and tell it to delete the song and it will prompt you if you would like to delete it from iCloud as well. On the iPhone or iPad you can delete it off the device but I don't think you can delete it from iCloud from those devices.

dpriddy

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Sorry if I am not clear. I don't want to delete anything from icloud or my computer. What I want to do is be able to manage my music on my device. Before match I would select what music went onto the iphone in itunes. Now when you turn in itunes match you no longer do this but it keeps these songs on your iphone and allows you to supplement them by downloading on your iphone via icloud. What I want to be able to do is not have these newly downloaded songs interfere with the original synced songs on my phone I want to be able to delete them all at once every once in awhile so my phone doesn't fill up from randomly shuffled tunes. to have to go and search through songs and albums and delete them one at a time on the iphone is not practical, I want a way to reset the device to my sync settings.

bmuncy

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I understand better. And unfortunately there is no way of really doing that. One thing you could do is have a playlist of all the songs that you want and just sync the entire playlist. That way you have all the songs you wanted. Now deleting the others if you shuffle all music I guess there is really no easy way but to have iTunes or something to delete all your music and then resync your playlist again. I know that is just a pain, but the way you are wanting it iTunes match wasn't designed for.

thebignewt#IM

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Okay I think the closest thing to this that you can do is go to settings then general then usage and when the storage shows up click music and you can delete all local music on the device you can't pick and choose but it deletes it all.

---
I am here: Google Maps
But that just wipes all music off the phone, right? I think what the OP is asking is whether or not it's possible to selectively delete music straight off the iPhone itself. I'd like to know that myself (I've always wanted to be able to delete music from my iPod without a wire).

NoleScream

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
But that just wipes all music off the phone, right? I think what the OP is asking is whether or not it's possible to selectively delete music straight off the iPhone itself. I'd like to know that myself (I've always wanted to be able to delete music from my iPod without a wire).

Just swipe to the right. :)

If it's one song go into the album and swipe across, then press delete. If it's an album just swipe the whole album from the albums list and press delete.

NoleScream

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Sorry if I am not clear. I don't want to delete anything from icloud or my computer. What I want to do is be able to manage my music on my device. Before match I would select what music went onto the iphone in itunes. Now when you turn in itunes match you no longer do this but it keeps these songs on your iphone and allows you to supplement them by downloading on your iphone via icloud. What I want to be able to do is not have these newly downloaded songs interfere with the original synced songs on my phone I want to be able to delete them all at once every once in awhile so my phone doesn't fill up from randomly shuffled tunes. to have to go and search through songs and albums and delete them one at a time on the iphone is not practical, I want a way to reset the device to my sync settings.

There is no way to differentiate between the songs you previously sync'd from your computer to your iPhone and the ones from iCloud. Once you turn on iTunes Match you can no longer sync music through iTunes on your computer, because the iTunes Match / iCloud Library is used instead of one that is sync'd from your computer to your iPhone (device).

From what I've read, there is an algorithm that will delete songs when iTunes Match wants to download more and there is not enough space on the device (ie, songs only played once or never, etc.). How exactly it's done, I haven't read. :)

Nibbz

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
SWIPE SWIPE SWIPE

Swipe the artist, or album, or individual song. A delete icon appears. Delete it, can be redownloaded immediately after from the cloud.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice