iTunes match deleting playlists

Nuttz565

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
So today I finally got all my music up and running on iTunes match. My wife and I both share a iTunes account and both have iPhones. Now just a while ago I was scrolling through all my playlists it had synced over. In order to narrow it down I deleted a bunch of my wife's playlists from my phone. Now I was thinking it would just delete it from my phone and no where else-I was way wrong! Not only did it delete it from her phone but it also deleted from our iTunes on our PC! Did I miss something here? Is it supposed to work this way?

NoleScream

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
So today I finally got all my music up and running on iTunes match. My wife and I both share a iTunes account and both have iPhones. Now just a while ago I was scrolling through all my playlists it had synced over. In order to narrow it down I deleted a bunch of my wife's playlists from my phone. Now I was thinking it would just delete it from my phone and no where else-I was way wrong! Not only did it delete it from her phone but it also deleted from our iTunes on our PC! Did I miss something here? Is it supposed to work this way?

I believe that it is working as it should. Your Library was replaced on your phone with the Library that is used by iTunes Match. If you delete the playlist "locally" that will replicate to iTunes Match and to your other devices.

My workaround for this is to have a Folder for my playlists and one for my wife so that I don't mess with her playlists.

Nuttz565

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. Im a bit confused then. I was under the impression if say you listened to a song and decide later you don't want that song stored locally on your phone you could swipe and then hit delete. Now the only difference would be that the song would now have the little cloud symbol showing you that it was no longer locally on your phone but in the cloud.So curious why a playlist would not work the same.If you delete a playlist it permanently deletes it?? I wish I knew this earlier as I know have a angry wife to deal with(as I deleted about 10 playlists of hers) not knowing they would be permanently deleted from itunes as well !!!!!!! I wish Apple would have explained this a bit more in detail.

Last edited:

NoleScream

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. Im a bit confused then. I was under the impression if say you listened to a song and decide later you don't want that song stored locally on your phone you could swipe and then hit delete. Now the only difference would be that the song would now have the little cloud symbol showing you that it was no longer locally on your phone but in the cloud.So curious why a playlist would not work the same.If you delete a playlist it permanently deletes it unlike the option I explained above??

You make a good point. With the music it doesn't permanently delete anything, it would just delete it locally and then make it available in the cloud if you want to download it again. I'm not sure why it behaves that way for a playlist now that you point that out.

bmuncy

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
iTunes match looks at a playlist just as a list of songs. If you delete the playlist it will sync that deletion across all your devices that are linked to iTunes Match. So if you create one and your wife deletes it on hers then it will delete off of yours. Just it will show the cloud icon for any songs in the playlist that is currently not on your device.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner