Address book/contacts question

thebignewt#IM

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Wife gets 4S today. She has iCloud account (nothing in it yet). She uses Gmail now and wants to continue using that for email. We exported her Google contacts to a Vcard file, it's on the desktop on the Mac (running Lion). I open her iCloud account on the iMac, and there's a box with things to check (Contacts, documents, etc). My question is: how to I import that Vcard file with her contacts to iCloud so it will synch with her new phone? I saw where I was supposed to drag it into the Address book but I don't see how to open that book on my PC. Hers is the only iCloud account we have (I don't need one yet). I don't mind using iTunes either if that's easier. Thanks in advance for your help.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Sync the contacts thru google, then it should push to the iCloud. Then just turn pole contact sync off. That's how I got my contacts on the iCloud. The reason I shut off the google contacts after was, I've heard of people who have 2,3 or more sets of the same contacts. I found just using iCloud, it hasn't been a problem for me.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

thebignewt#IM

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Sync the contacts thru google, then it should push to the iCloud. Then just turn pole contact sync off. That's how I got my contacts on the iCloud. The reason I shut off the google contacts after was, I've heard of people who have 2,3 or more sets of the same contacts. I found just using iCloud, it hasn't been a problem for me.

Thanks. I see that I can synch contacts using her Google account. And after that how do I turn push contacts sync off, is that in Google or iCloud? I saw that I can disable or delete the Gmail account on the iPhone and use iCloud to synch from then on. But if I do that can I continue to get gmail? Sorry but there are so many threads on this it's confusing to me. I don't want contacts copied twice. I did see somewhere that if I use iCloud then Google will not synch with the iPhone.

Last edited:

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
You turn off google contacts in settings, mail, click your gmail account then slide contacts to off.

thebignewt#IM

May 9, 2011
Visit site
You turn off google contacts in settings, mail, click your gmail account then slide contacts to off.
Thanks. That's on the iPhone after I put the Gmail account on it. How do I turn off Google contacts in iCloud, is that a separate step before I connect the phone to iTunes and synch to the Google accout there?

Last edited:

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
No there's no choice to turn off google in iCloud. You're only syncing what's already in the cloud. Go to iCloud.com and get everything the way you like it there and it'll push to the phone. I do it mostly with the calendar. I feel it's easier to put my appts in on the computer.

thebignewt#IM

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I got the Google contacts to her phone using iTunes, and turned on iCloud for backup. Unfortunately all of my contacts were on her iCloud because I think her iCloud synched initially with my Address book on the Mac. She deleted all of mine off the iPhone, so that should synch in her iCloud (right?). It's too bad you can't open and see what's in iCloud contacts, and edit it on the Mac. And FYI, when I go to Settings-Mail,-gmail account there is no slider for Contacts, just mail, calendar, notes.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2