Annoying little iCloud thing with Contacts

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
So I am now on my 3rd iPhone4s and will likely be on my 4th shortly. Every time I get a new one, it syncs all of my contacts again, and duplicates everything. So being on my 3rd one, after setting it up on my loaned 4...I now have 4 of everyone. I just spent an hour deleting the duplicates, which I am scared I overdeleted or something. I have most backed up in gmail but still.

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I have duplicates in iCloud, as well. They're on the iCloud server and in my Address Book on the Mac, but not on my phone. It's annoying.

lv1

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
So I am now on my 3rd iPhone4s and will likely be on my 4th shortly. Every time I get a new one, it syncs all of my contacts again, and duplicates everything. So being on my 3rd one, after setting it up on my loaned 4...I now have 4 of everyone. I just spent an hour deleting the duplicates, which I am scared I overdeleted or something. I have most backed up in gmail but still.

I do not understand what this has to do with the 4S? Are you saying you replaced the phones to correct some sync problems probably caused by incorrect sync options?

Dunkin

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I do not understand what this has to do with the 4S? Are you saying you replaced the phones to correct some sync problems probably caused by incorrect sync options?

I was going to ask the same thing. It is not the phones fault. YOU are not syncing your contacts correctly or failed to do research to see why they are not.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
It happens every time I get a new phone. I put my info in, and it populates and adds a new contact each time. How the F is it user error when I am simply inputting my login for iCloud? Thanks for the unwarranted judginess, jerk.

The phones have had issues maintaining and getting signal and one had a dead mic.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
When you say "put your info in" be detailed. Under email accounts, how many you have? I assume you're using a me.com account? Is that the only one?

Are you using outlook? What's checked under info tab in itunes when you connect?

Dunkin

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
It happens every time I get a new phone. I put my info in, and it populates and adds a new contact each time. How the F is it user error when I am simply inputting my login for iCloud? Thanks for the unwarranted judginess, jerk.

The phones have had issues maintaining and getting signal and one had a dead mic.

It is user error as far as the contacts goes. If you had simply googled "Duplicate" Contacts in iCloud, Gmail, Yahoo!. etc. You would have found an abundance of information pertaining to your problem. It is user error when, as you have have stated in the above quote "happens every time I get a new phone". You failed to research. Judging laziness in this case is not unwarranted.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
When you say "put your info in" be detailed. Under email accounts, how many you have? I assume you're using a me.com account? Is that the only one?

Are you using outlook? What's checked under info tab in itunes when you connect?
Nothing is checked, it says "you sync with iCloud, clicking this will cause duplicates". I use Macs.

I log in to ONE .me account. That's it. And I set up Exchange for my Gmail. What's in my iCloud/.me account contacts are different from my Google contacts. There is no overlap. It doesn't give me the option to not merge, to not duplicate. It just takes my login and starts populating.

It is user error as far as the contacts goes. If you had simply googled "Duplicate" Contacts in iCloud, Gmail, Yahoo!. etc. You would have found an abundance of information pertaining to your problem. It is user error when, as you have have stated in the above quote "happens every time I get a new phone". You failed to research. Judging laziness in this case is not unwarranted.
Again with the judging.

What makes you think I haven't researched? I only posted after having yet to find someone with an identical experience. That does not mean I am lazy. This is not the only forum I belong to for iProducts.

Dunkin

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Nothing is checked, it says "you sync with iCloud, clicking this will cause duplicates". I use Macs.

I log in to ONE .me account. That's it. And I set up Exchange for my Gmail. What's in my iCloud/.me account contacts are different from my Google contacts. There is no overlap. It doesn't give me the option to not merge, to not duplicate. It just takes my login and starts populating.

Again with the judging.

What makes you think I haven't researched? I only posted after having yet to find someone with an identical experience. That does not mean I am lazy. This is not the only forum I belong to for iProducts.

Have you gone to gmail > contacts and checked for duplicate contacts? I understand you said there is no overlap. You did not state what contacts are duplicating though. I had a problem with contacts duplicating in my gmail account which I fixed by going to gmail > contacts and then editing them there. You have options to merge/delete etc.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Yep.

The duplicates are just the iPhone ones (iCloud). Before I activated the iCloud thing I made sure I didn't have overlaps in Gmail because I didn't want two of each one in there. I did all the merging and deleting and all that (like of the 500 facebook reply to things which Google stupidly saves). But every time I start over with a new phone (like I set up as a new phone) it adds another of each contact in iCloud. This last time I deliberately waited til I got home to do any contact stuff, didn't enter in anything, just left it as it was, just hoping it would sync it right. I got home, synced my apps and all that, had unchecked info, didn't restore anything. Then I put in my gmail and my iCloud stuff. And ended up with all the iCloud ones duplicated again.

Like, when you put in your gmail stuff, if there was a duplicate or whatever, it should pop up that window on your phone, telling you it might give you duplicates and gives you a cancel, a don't merge or a merge button right? It never gives me that with the iCloud thing. Just when I set up my gmail as exchange.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Try only syncing your contacts with icloud, not google. I had that happen until I turned off contact sync with my yahoo account. If that doesn't help, I don't know what will. But it does sound like some type of user error, seeing how it only happens to some people, and it did happen to me until I fixed it (not trying to be a jerk). If you can't figure it out, make a genius bar appt.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Ill bring it up at my already scheduled one since this phone is a pain in the a$$ too, the constant loss and searching for signal and all. I am so far 0 for 3. Wee.

thebignewt#IM

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Ill bring it up at my already scheduled one since this phone is a pain in the a$$ too, the constant loss and searching for signal and all. I am so far 0 for 3. Wee.
That's why I'm leery of the whole iCloud thing. I will be getting a 4S at some point, my wife has ordered one, we use Android phones/Google now. Maybe you shouldn't synch with Google at all, just with your Apple Contacts and that's all. Can you do that and still use Gmail? I'm not smart enough to help you, but I'm interested in the outcome. (My other thought was maybe you should get a Droid X phone lol.)

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Ive had a couple droids, and I hated that OS. That OS needs a TON of work for me to ever go back there.

I might just export all my stuff from iCloud and put it into Google. I'd rather have it on google syncing than on iCloud if it's going to be a problem.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I had none of these issues with my 4! Hell I wouldn't have them at all if it hadn't been stolen last month. I guess luckily (or is that not lucky) I am not the only person have the same problem. I am going to a different Apple store this time in hopes that their supply is different.

lv1

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

It is amazing how brave people are in forums ... calling people jerks.. as soon as someone implies a possible mistake has been made. I guess you think you are perfect. NOT. You did not state that you had equipment problems in you OP. You blamed the equipment for the synching problem. The fact remains that there are many wayd to synch and screw things up. I have done so a few times myself.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
It is amazing how brave people are in forums ... calling people jerks.. as soon as someone implies a possible mistake has been made. I guess you think you are perfect. NOT. You did not state that you had equipment problems in you OP. You blamed the equipment for the synching problem. The fact remains that there are many wayd to synch and screw things up. I have done so a few times myself.
The flawed devices likely had no impact on the syncing. I am blaming the whole iCloud thing for that. It probably doesn't realize that I have returned the other devices and keeps resyncing it thinking its going to multiple devices. Who knows. I came here to whine about it.

Funny you mention my "bravery" as you go off on me. Some balls on you.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
That's why I'm leery of the whole iCloud thing. I will be getting a 4S at some point, my wife has ordered one, we use Android phones/Google now. Maybe you shouldn't synch with Google at all, just with your Apple Contacts and that's all. Can you do that and still use Gmail? I'm not smart enough to help you, but I'm interested in the outcome. (My other thought was maybe you should get a Droid X phone lol.)

Yes you can just sync your contacts to iCloud, and still use google as to mail. That's exactly how I have mine setup, and I never have any problems.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

andyriot

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
lol @ all the entitlement and pride in this thread. ridiculous. this is an online forum. quit the tough guy persona.

@op - you "came here to whine about it" then you should expect answers as such. or did you expect everyone to side with you and throw an "icloud hate party"? take the good with the bad and move on.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2