iTunes Match go-live countdown thread

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
So, on 10/4, iTunes Match was listed as going live end of month in the US.

I thought for sure it would be today, but 1PM EST has come and gone.

Does this mean we should expect it to go live on Monday? Assuming they don't want it to slip, right?

What does everyone think?

Thegreatone3

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
When they said "late October", they really meant it. Halloween release it is unless they want to miss their target. A nice Halloween present for us all! :)

NoleScream

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Still don't see the point of it.

For me, the big selling point is that I have tons of CDs that I've ripped into iTunes, but didn't buy through the store. I'm tied to a wire or Wifi at the house if I want to put that music on my iPhone or my wife's, or a soon to be purchased iPad 2. With the iTunes Match service, I'm able to get to all of the stuff I didn't buy on iTunes, which is the vast majority of my collection. It's nice to have that kind of access on the go if I want to swap out some albums for some others.

Reactions: therealwags

therealwags

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
For me, the big selling point is that I have tons of CDs that I've ripped into iTunes, but didn't buy through the store. I'm tied to a wire or Wifi at the house if I want to put that music on my iPhone or my wife's, or a soon to be purchased iPad 2. With the iTunes Match service, I'm able to get to all of the stuff I didn't buy on iTunes, which is the vast majority of my collection. It's nice to have that kind of access on the go if I want to swap out some albums for some others.

This; I'm hoping it goes live soon :)

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site

Another vote for this reason!

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

Reactions: NoleScream

Philbaines

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Anyone got any idea when its out in the UK?
i have got itunes 10.5.1 but theres no match option there (but im sure thats cos im in the and beta is running in the USA only)

bmuncy

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
So it is now 7:30 AM EST and yet still no update or release of iTunes Match......hmmmm, can't believe Apple missed their deadline.

iSRS

Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
So it is now 7:30 AM EST and yet still no update or release of iTunes Match......hmmmm, can't believe Apple missed their deadline.

I think we will see it this week. Today or tomorrow.

iSRS

Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
iTunes Match is terrible. Slow, doesn't get things right, just plain sucks. I've been using it for a few months now......

I have not had any experience with iTunes Match yet, and am looking forward to it, but...

I'm not sure I would jump to any conclusions while a brand new service was in beta and only available to developers. I would also bet that the first month or two will be a bit less than perfect. There is limited testing that can be done to simulate real world demands.

When I got the first seed of Lion, it was slow, many of the great/magical new features were so painful to use that I didn't use them, etc.

That is what testing is for. As someone with advance access to new features, I would assume you understood that.

You, of course, have valid issues. Have you documented them and filed them with Apple?

thebignewt#IM

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I am interested in this too, I've got 12K songs on iTunes and haven't bought hardly any. One question I have is this: will this Match thing allow me to download any of those songs to my wife's iPhone (when she gets it)? Of can she just stream them to it. I get than Match just keeps the tags of the songs, not the songs themselves. Another thought: maybe some of the songs that one has were obtained from places where you can download from a foreign website that the RIAA may regard as " possibly illegal" or whatever. There have been a bunch of those over the years. That information is part of the file. Could Apple turn you in?

Last edited:

iSRS

Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I am interested in this too, I've got 12K songs on iTunes and haven't bought hardly any. One question I have is this: will this Match thing allow me to download any of those songs to my wife's iPhone (when she gets it)? Of can she just stream them to it. I get than Match just keeps the tags of the songs, not the songs themselves.

She should be able to listen to them. It will download them to the device, but start playing before the download is finished.

thebignewt#IM

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Do you think that iCloud will be able to tell where the songs in iTunes came from (rips, downloads from other sites, etc), or just the song tags? Get my drift?

iSRS

Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Do you think that iCloud will be able to tell where the songs in iTunes came from (rips, downloads from other sites, etc), or just the song tags? Get my drift?

No, I don't think I follow. ;)

Honestly, though, not sure it matters...

...but maybe you'll want to mass-clean out the "comments" field...

thebignewt#IM

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I mean that somehow Apple is going to have to look at the iTunes library and see what's in it most likely, in order to see what the names/artists/albums of songs to back up. It's possible that some people have downloads from places other than iTunes, maybe sites that some entities (like the RIAA)
regard as of questionable legality (even though they haven't proven it). That info is embedded in the file, and it's in iTunes. If they can see that stuff I just wonder about it. Some have ripped their DVD movies and have them on iTunes too, stripping off the copy protection. They can see that stuff too maybe. Just wondering how much they can see in an iTunes library.