iCloud delivery of email

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I just spoke with Apple support about this.

I've been testing for a few days sending emails to my @me.com email address from my work domain, GMail domain and Yahoo domain...

To say that delivery of email is sporadic and poor, is an understatement. I did the same test with emails to my GMail domain account and they simply deliver instantly, or within one minute. Yes, I know GMail has been developing their email system for what seems like forever, but...

After speaking with Apple Support, they advised to wait a few weeks because the servers are extremely busy. Oh, really?

But, to be honest, I hate to say this, I was\am a long time Mobile ME user, paying that crazy price of $99 a year for the privilege to have all my data on Apple\Mobile ME's servers. Even then, email was slow and sporadic back then, too. Sometimes email simply just wouldn't be delivered, and it is not to say it was stuck in the Junk\Spam folder. It merely would not be delivered to the @me.com account.

So I'm curious, how exactly is it to be different now? Aren't connecting to the same servers, just that it has a new name?

What are your thoughts on using iCloud's @me.com email address?

rgar3388

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. Although when I had MobileMe it was very reliable. It must be all the newbies crowding the servers with the free iCloud. Someone mentioned in my other thread that it could be an iOS 5 issue on the iPhone as it works fine on their iPads. But you say Gmail works just fine so it's curious...

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
...it is still terrible on my iPad 2, too.

I hope Apple resolve this to some degree. I understand that servers will be initially slow with a release, but...

supratik

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
iCloud has been a terrible disappointment. Email is not being pushed, some going to junk mail..unreliable and inconsistent. Gmail works fine. I hope apple sorts this out quick. Emails are important and they will loose credibility if not careful.

Gixxer07

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Gmail won't even push for me. Neither will yahoo. I use iCloud and that doesn't push either. I think there must be a bug with iOS 5 causing this because yahoo was working fine for me before iOS 5

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I suggest two things...

1. restarting your iPhone...
2. either deleting your email account and re-adding it, or turn off email on your iPhone for that account, wait a minute or so, and then turn it on again...

I am very surprised that no great fuss is being made of the fact that iCloud email seems to be a total shamble!! . No mention in Tipb or any blog to that matter. Has the server gone bust?? Not getting any mails! What a joke.

---
I am here: Google Maps

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
My suggestion is to simply use gmail. To me why bother with another email service when you have one for free that works just fine

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

supratik

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Hi Gixxer
Thanks. Mail arriving late and only when mail app opened. No push, lazy, unreliable. Problem is me.com account from MobileMe was established as contact to many friends and at work. I don't get it why apple has not made any announcement if they are having server overload and fix is on way in future. At least we know then there will be a solution soon hopefully .

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.602041,-2.092849

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
...good point. But, like in my case, I like having 'everything' together.

It does seem that Contacts and Calendar with iCloud is better than Google\GMail

PS: plus, someone has to test them all, it might as well be me, the I.T. Guy ;)

My suggestion is to simply use gmail. To me why bother with another email service when you have one for free that works just fine

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Gixxer07

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi Gixxer
Thanks. Mail arriving late and only when mail app opened. No push, lazy, unreliable. Problem is me.com account from MobileMe was established as contact to many friends and at work. I don't get it why apple has not made any announcement if they are having server overload and fix is on way in future. At least we know then there will be a solution soon hopefully .

---
I am here: Google Maps

I don't think its just the iCloud email then. Push won't work for me rather I use iCloud yahoo or gmail. I set it to fetch hourly and it works. It almost seems to push, as most the time when I'm expecting an email it comes right through. Hopefully it's just a bug in iOS 5 and they fix it with the next update

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Gixxer07, currently my GMail is PUSHing correctly, I think this issue is an iCloud\Apple issue. Simply their servers can't handle the sheer weight...

Then again, when I had Mobile ME, it did this from time to time, too.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
...the iCloud servers are messing up again, PUSH has once again stopped working. I guess it will simply be a while before this is fixed by Apple.

Probably because it is later in the day, and a lot more people are activating and backing up, etc, no?

Gixxer07

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Gixxer07, currently my GMail is PUSHing correctly, I think this issue is an iCloud\Apple issue. Simply their servers can't handle the sheer weight...

Then again, when I had Mobile ME, it did this from time to time, too.

Gmail and yahoo won't push for me at all. Idk a lot about it but does the iCloud server have anything to do with those accounts?

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
...no. Albeit, oddly my GMail works fine. Maybe it's a region thing [am in Atlanta]. Did you already reboot the device [just because]?

Gmail and yahoo won't push for me at all. Idk a lot about it but does the iCloud server have anything to do with those accounts?

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I use Google's Microsoft Exchange support, which gives me true Push Gmail.

I tried iCloud for a couple of days and was seriously disappointed. The Push was unreliable. Also, if I read the email on my MacBook, it wouldn't automatically be read on my iPhone unless I opened the mail app. Gmail (with Exchange) does this flawlessly.

Given that I absolutely love Gmail's web interface anyway, I'll be sticking with Gmail (as well as Google Calendar and Tasks).

Gixxer07

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
...no. Albeit, oddly my GMail works fine. Maybe it's a region thing [am in Atlanta]. Did you already reboot the device [just because]?

I have rebooted, restored, even replaced the phone (seperate issue). I have deleted the mail account and set it back up. Nothing worked. Yahoo mail won't push. Gmail won't push. iCloud won't push. That's why I thought it may be an iOS bug. If you search the forums a bit a lot of people are having this problem. I wanted to call apple support about it but after thinking a bit I don't think it will really do me any good. I mean if there is a bug I doubt they would admit to it to me.

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
...good point. But, like in my case, I like having 'everything' together.

It does seem that Contacts and Calendar with iCloud is better than Google\GMail

PS: plus, someone has to test them all, it might as well be me, the I.T. Guy ;)

IMO Google Contacts and Calendar are much better than iCloud... that's been my experince anyway.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal