GMail users, and ME.com [iCloud] users...

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I'm a bit curious...

If you previously used\had GMail, but have either just created an iCloud email address [me.com], or simply had a Mobile ME account previously, have you move all your Calendar, Contacts and Email over to iCloud [@me.com]

Does it seem to work well, i.e. Email, Calendar, and Contacts?

I've been playing with the @me.com email address via iCloud.com, and just like the Mobile ME days, it does seem a little slow.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Ivan

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Rather odd...

Let me ask it this way; are there any GMail users that have now switched to using ONLY iCloud, hence for email etc? Was it a smooth transition? And does everything work as it should?

What about the email web interface online [iCloud.com], is that okay, too? Seems slow to me sometimes. Hence my question(s)...

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I use gmail- I have an .me account but I do not use it to sync contacts and calendar- google does is flawlessly and saw no reason to stop using it

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I've done a full transition, to get rid of using gmail, because I've had a lot of problems with it recently.

However, I haven't used the me.com email online, I only use that on my iPad and iPhone, so I can't say whether it's slow, or not.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

ktrent#CB

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
I am with you. Gmail is so good for contacts and calender why change. I am thinking about using cloud for iTunes between my wife and I. Just so that things we purchase will go to a central home computer to save. Gmail is almost instant when you add or delete info to all my devices.

HuKaShI

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Hey all. I'm new to iPhones and had a question. Just got the 4s. It seems that with my phone's contacts synced via gmail through the exchange setting, I can't get full functionality of the contacts in the iPhone. For example, the relationship function doesn't work at all. If I tell Siri that a certain contact is my sister, it won't set it up correctly.

What is the proper procedure to backup my gmail contacts to iCloud so that I can use the functions that Siri can help me with?

Thanks!

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Well, bang goes that...

I've copied everything over to test iCloud fully. So for the next week or so I'm using my iPad 2, and iPhone [and Windows PC] with iCloud only. Let's see how this pans out...

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I use gmail for email. I like iCloud for contacts and calendar, just like the way I can share a calendar with the family.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I have gmail set for everything .. iCloud is on also but I notice if I go to Contacts then groups n select iCloud there is no contacts. I thought this would back up .. Is it a one or the other ?

B

bonesb

I use both. I use Google Apps for my company, and Google Voice/Talk for some of my communication. Google's spam/Postini is top notch. Google's implementation of calendaring and contact management is a joke, and Apple's proprietary email push system leaves much to be desired, so I don't rely on any of these for my business or important communications. My system for personal and professional use is Google for email/GV, and iCloud for contact and calendaring - I was using GV when it was still Grand Central, and it's hard to beat the price. At the end of the year, I'm porting my company to Office 365 or an Exchange Server but sticking with CalDAV/CardDAV via iCloud.

There's lots of people that are perfectly happy with Google. After 3 years of butting heads with their half-assed and incomplete implementation of IMAP and EAS - and paying for it, I'm moving to Exchange. Apple's offering is pretty good but for their client-side spam filtering (there isn't any decent server-side spam filtering, but I get hardly any spam in my .me accounts) is pretty weak.

If you're thinking about switching over, head to the limitations section of Google Sync and see for yourself what just isn't going to work well. Then head to the Support forums and read the thousands of posts whining about problems with contacts and calendars from Android, WebOS, iOS, WinMo, and BBOS users. What you save in "free" you'll spend on therapy later, those who generally offer they have no problems with Gmail will likely have problems - each of my 40-odd employees were about ready to tell me where to go with Google Apps, and they're all college-educated and have been using smartphones for years like me. I moved on and don't smoke the Gmail pipe anymore, this from a former Google Apps promoter. YMMV.

boomhower1820

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm starting the move. So far I have just set gmail to forward to my icloud .me address. I'll try that for a while before I actually start changing things from gmail to icloud. My biggest motivater was push email. I have gotten so used to it on Android for the last couple years waiting 15 minutes for fetch just isn't cutting it.(yes, I know I can do manual refresh but it gets old hitting it all the time when your expecting something.) It's not quite as quick as gmail's pretty much instant on Android but close enough.

I will say this, contact control/editing is much much better than Google's mess there.

applefanboi

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I've been contemplating the move myself. I've never really used Google for contacts, so I'm loving the iCloud contacts, and I do love the Calendar functionality just as much as I liked Google's.

It really depends on email. I've not tried the web app for iCloud email at all yet. I've only used it twice on my iPhone and iPad...

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I realize today that iCloud wasn't notifying me of emails! I wasn't impressed.

Back on GMail Exchange for now...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk...

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
...after thinking about it more, I've decided to stick with GMail\Google.

Why?

Well, I know me, I'll be swapping back and forth to a BlackBerry or Android of sorts. In doing so, it would prove a little more difficult to use an @me.com address on said device.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73