- iPhone Nanite
- 3 Posts
App Data Backup
Hello All -
My sincere apologies if these questions have previously been answered, but I have been a little too busy to search around the threads. I have setup iCloud, but I have questions regarding the App Data backup?
1 - How exactly does the app data backup work?
2 - For example, if I make progress in a game such as Angry Birds, does that progress save?
3 - Is the app data transferable from my iPhone to iPad to carry over the game saves?
4 - If I delete the app on my iPhone, can I get that app data back? I tested this, and it didn't seem to work, but maybe I did something incorrectly.
Any help to these questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!
- 10-18-2011, 01:29 AM #2iPhone Newbie
- 44 Posts
1) The cloud saves your app state.
2) Yes, it saves where you last were. Downside - my hi score in a game is 265k but my last backup was 235k; when I restored the app it shows my older, lower score even though my new hi score is on the leaderboards for Game Center. Eh.
3) Not sure, but I don't think so, as you're syncing to the cloud from each device, and they've got their own clouds. You can't look at clouds from both sides now (I've been waiting to use that one ).
4) If you delete the app, the cloud drops the data associated with it the next time you touch it, so you can't get it back. Even if you add it back before you go to iCloud, it works thru a script like "He deleted this, drop the data; he added it, start over." There's no way to trick it into never noticing you deleted the app.
- 10-19-2011, 02:50 AM #4iPhone Newbie
- 44 Posts
Actually, I restored it to fix something that wasn't broke - the game seemed to have lost my username/ID so I removed and restored it, thenI discovered I was logged on to my machine with the wrong AppleID (I somehow created 2 last year, I can't wait until Apple lets you merge them).
- 10-19-2011, 07:16 AM #5
3. Yes, but only if the dev updates the his apps for that. Has nothing to do with backing up through cloud. There's a check mark in icloud settings for docs/data. It would be this. Both devices would need to have the same icloud id.
At least that's the way i understand it.
- 04-14-2012, 10:11 AM #6