iCloud Not Backing Up

Dec 18, 2005
Visit site
Hi everyone. I updated my iPhone 4 to iOS 5 on Wednesday and I've been having problems with the back up feature...

When I click the "Back Up Button" manually, it looks like it's going and says "1 minute remaining"... but after it says "Last Backup: Unknown."

It also says it'll back up automatically when it's plugged in and connected to wifi, but I don't think thats happening either.

Anyone else having this problem of it saying "Uknown?" If so, how do I fix it?

MarcGoldie

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Sorta having a similar issue, but mine never really goes anywhere at all. It usually has an unknown estimated time (at one point I saw it say 5 hours, then it went away) and hasn't done a backup. I just got my phone today so I'm leaving it on a charger, with wi-fi on, in a lock screen to see if something magical happens over night...

Dec 18, 2005
Visit site
Sorta having a similar issue, but mine never really goes anywhere at all. It usually has an unknown estimated time (at one point I saw it say 5 hours, then it went away) and hasn't done a backup. I just got my phone today so I'm leaving it on a charger, with wi-fi on, in a lock screen to see if something magical happens over night...

Any luck? I still can't get it to work ugh!

Crisdean

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Hey. I turned backup on in my phone under iCloud and it worked fine. Just took 10 hours to get it all backed up.

To the TO. I'd connect the phone to iTunes and disable iCloud backup in the phone as well as in iTunes. Than disconnect the phone and re-enable it in the phone. Hook it up again and then enable it in iTunes. Hope that helps you.

Alienware_51#IM

Aug 11, 2008
Visit site
I'm having the same problem backing up to iCloud with my iPhone 4S. My iPad can perform a backup without problems, but my iPhone seems to just do nothing.

However, I must note that it does sync my photo stream, so maybe it is working??

paul-c

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering if you can do a wireless iCloud backup from the iPhone, or if I'm just looking at that manual update button wrong. I can't really tell because I'm not confident the iCloud backup is working right. Through wired connection with wifi and lock screen on, iTunes shows it's working, even though the backup time is wrong. But the iPhone shows last backup unknown. It's the one part of iCloud I've been struggling with. Well, that and trying to figure out how to get iTunes to stop opening up on my PC when the wifi sync is enabled.

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm wondering if you can do a wireless iCloud backup from the iPhone, or if I'm just looking at that manual update button wrong. I can't really tell because I'm not confident the iCloud backup is working right. Through wired connection with wifi and lock screen on, iTunes shows it's working, even though the backup time is wrong. But the iPhone shows last backup unknown. It's the one part of iCloud I've been struggling with. Well, that and trying to figure out how to get iTunes to stop opening up on my PC when the wifi sync is enabled.

There's a setting in iTunes to stop it from opening, when it detects your phone, so find that and turn it off.

And yes, if the sync is working, rather than unknown, or never, it will show the date and time that the latest was done.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

Reactions: paul-c

paul-c

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm hoping it's just Apple's servers being bogged down. I'd like to be able to do a wireless iCloud backup at some point. I'll give it a rest for now.

DomFeeney

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
Doesn't seem to be working for me either. Haven't got one to complete yet it just says remaining time unknown and doesn't seem to do anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alienware_51#IM

Aug 11, 2008
Visit site
I finally was able to backup my iPhone through iCloud. I turned on my WiFi and forced it to "back up now" in the iCloud settings on my iPhone. I went to bed and woke up this morning to see that after almost 10 hours, it successfully backed up. :) so give that a try!

paul-c

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
I finally was able to backup my iPhone through iCloud. I turned on my WiFi and forced it to "back up now" in the iCloud settings on my iPhone. I went to bed and woke up this morning to see that after almost 10 hours, it successfully backed up. :) so give that a try!

Was it plugged into a charger or did you do it wirelessly? Glad to hear that you broke through.

Last edited:

KashSystems

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Just want to quote this for you guys in case you do not have your iphone in the charger while trying to backup.

iCloud automatically backs it up daily over Wi-Fi when your device is connected to a power source.

wpguberu

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I've been having all these issues with backing up to the cloud. Issues like It would backup but where it says last time backed up it would say unknown, even though it took 3 hours to backup and it's using 1.2 gigs out of the 5gigs. Also the time last backup would show on iTunes. Then I noticed I couldn't even delete my backup, no red button in the manage storage. So I just removed the account and kept the information. So I readded my APPLE ID account and when I went to enable icloud backup I got an error saying it can't enable the icloud backup try again later. I tried and tried as people were getting this error and still no luck. So what I did was deleted the apple id on the icloud and created a second APPLE ID for icloud use. I was able to enable the backup again, I ran a manual backup and woke up this morning and poof, I have a date and time now when the last backup was on my Iphone 4s! I'm going to talk to an Apple Genius one day and see what they think. I assume for some reason my original Apple ID has been screwed up by the icloud. I read people do this and it's ok to do by apple. I hope there is a fix though it is working. I hope this helps.

Dec 18, 2005
Visit site
Ok so I've been having all these issues with backing up to the cloud. Issues like It would backup but where it says last time backed up it would say unknown, even though it took 3 hours to backup and it's using 1.2 gigs out of the 5gigs. Also the time last backup would show on iTunes. Then I noticed I couldn't even delete my backup, no red button in the manage storage. So I just removed the account and kept the information. So I readded my APPLE ID account and when I went to enable icloud backup I got an error saying it can't enable the icloud backup try again later. I tried and tried as people were getting this error and still no luck. So what I did was deleted the apple id on the icloud and created a second APPLE ID for icloud use. I was able to enable the backup again, I ran a manual backup and woke up this morning and poof, I have a date and time now when the last backup was on my Iphone 4s! I'm going to talk to an Apple Genius one day and see what they think. I assume for some reason my original Apple ID has been screwed up by the icloud. I read people do this and it's ok to do by apple. I hope there is a fix though it is working. I hope this helps.

I deleted my iCloud account on my iPhone and tried re-adding it... when I went go enable "Backup" it wouldn't let me and said "There was a problem enabling iCloud Backup."

I really don't feel like creating a 2nd Apple ID just for this feature. This is complete BS. I am so frustrated with Apple.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234