I don't think I need iCloud

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I've been playing with iCloud for over 24 hours now. And to be honest, I really don't think I need it.

The iOS 5 itself is great, and iMessage is simply brilliant.

Does anyone else feel the same?

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
The only benefot for me is possibly when my wife gets an iPhone, we can share a common calendar so we bith know what is going on for the family. Other than that, not really. I have no iPad, and don't want to photostream, back-up to the cloud, share anything with my kids iPods.

Kylazin

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
iCloud doesn't really bring me anything that Google didn't, except that now that I'm officially the Mac OS support guy at work, I moved over so I can use it and have first hand experience. It certainly makes it easier with my tablet/iMac/Air/iPhone4S since it works so seamlessly.

WreakingHavoc

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I would use it for the Push notifications of a imap acct I have but if I redirect the imap to .me I get duplicate mails. If I turn off the imap acct on my devices I can't use my imap email address to send mail. I don't want send from .me for business reasons, my imap acct is from my own domain. Other than that I am switching over my gmail accts , I use it for pushing pop accts I have that am in no rush to recieve.

IrishBadger

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I like it for calendar sharing, contacts syncing etc for free now after paying the MobileMe fees for too long. BUT, and it's probably me being thick, I don't see it replacing iDisk and Gallery. Not that they were fantastic apps, but I could at least store any docs there for easy reference from anywhere and without having to use iWork (which I don't have anyway). Same for photos - I don't see how Photostream works for me when I just want an easy online store for my photos.

Should I be looking at other apps for this or what am I missing?

anon(4742831)

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
The only benefot for me is possibly when my wife gets an iPhone, we can share a common calendar so we bith know what is going on for the family. Other than that, not really. I have no iPad, and don't want to photostream, back-up to the cloud, share anything with my kids iPods.

I do that now with Google Calendars (share them with my wife).........

Damian480

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
I agree - but I AM using it for backups and Find My iPhone. I have everything else turned off. It is nice, however, to have it backup online nightly (when plugged in) so I dont have to remember to sync with computer.

I suppose if you have iPhone and iPad you wanted to have exactly the same info on both would be good (same iMessages, photos, etc).... but I have both devices and I LIKE them to be different.

As far as im concerned the calendar/contacts/email is just fine in Gmail, Yahoo and my corporate Exchange server.... I dont see how iCloud offers anything in that regard.

iOS5 is COOL though!

BuddhistGirafe

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
I have to disagree with the O.P. iCloud makes things easy for me. Yea there is nothing ground breaking about it, but the simplicity of everything is nice. Just the ability for everything to sync and work perfectly is nice. Photo stream also makes it super easy to have my pics in iPhoto on my iMac.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh