iCloud Error When Importing vCard File

TechNGuide

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Situation: Exported vCard file [.vcf] from Google Contacts, tried to import to iCloud Contacts. Get this error when importing to iCloud Contacts. 'Unable to Import vCard. This vCard cannot be imported because it is not valid.'

The full problem is in the comments of this blog post. [http://ihowtoguide.wordpress.com/2011/10/13/how-to-transfer-google-contacts-to-icloud/]

Anyone encountered this situation? If you do, please reply to this thread or Twitter me @TechNGuide. Thanks.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I know it's a round about way of doing it but why not import the vcard into the Addressbook then sync your contacts to iCloud?

BamaSteve

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I received the same error message.

I can't go through Addressbook because I don't have a mac. Not sure if that's the case with the OP or not. I was wondering if it had something to do with me being on Windows XP right now, when I get home I can try it on my personal computer which has Windows 7.

jafo818

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Same boat

I'm in the same boat. I would like to move my 170 contacts from Google Contacts to iCloud. The same for my Google Calendar events/reminders.

It's really a shame there is no easy method to do this for Windows users. It should be a seemless process. It would be nice if it were built directly into the iPhone.

Users just want their data to be safe and secure and all stored in one place. It should be easy to go between iCloud and other cloud services, in both directions.

BamaSteve

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Here are directions I found to get your contacts from gmail to iCloud. Here is the link to where I found them
http://forums.tipb.com/icloud-forum/216940-google-contacts-calendar-icloud-what-best-way-3.html

Ok this is very easy.
Delete your gmail account on your phone. If using exchange they will disappear.
Plug phone into iTunes.
Sync iTunes with gmail using your gmail login ID in contacts menu. This gets the contacts onto your phone.
Uncheck the sync contacts with gmail in iTunes.
Unplug your phone. The contacts will still be there.
Turn on iCloud contacts insettings. The contacts will sync with iCloud minus any date fields.

emjayess

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Hello, I just found this old thread with a search.

My wife finally came over from the Dark Side and got an used iPhone until the new ones come out later this year.

So we have been pulling our hair out trying to get her contacts from her Android 4.1.2 Galaxy phone to iCloud/the iPhone (iOS 7 on a 4S) etc.

I've searched the web high and low and tried most everything I found. We got the contacts off the Galaxy into a vCard, but iCloud via a browser (tried on Windows using Firefox and also on my Mac using Safari) wouldn't accept it/them. I used a text editor to change the versions of the vCards (2.1 to 3.0) but didn't work. And so on...

Anyway, does anyone have a surefire way to do this? At one point, iCloud did import some of them, but not all of them and, because she has a few thousand, there's no way she's going to go one-by-one to see which ones aren't there...so we deleted what we had. She might have to ask her company's IT folks for help, but I thought I'd check here, too.

Thanks!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods