Different iCloud account, same itunes ID ??

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
My wife and I are already running the GM of ios 5 and we already migrated our mobileme accounts to iCloud, we are gonna use different @me.com accounts for icloud but we want to keep using the same email account ( yahoo account ) for our apps so we wont have to pay for them twice, is this going to be an issue when iCloud goes live tomorrow ??

diamonddialogue

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
No, but if you two share an iCloud account then she will be able to read all your iMessage texts and will get a lot of your information.

If you two just share an iTunes account, but have different iCloud IDs, then you should be all good.

Reactions: Guacho

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
My wife and I are already running the GM of ios 5 and we already migrated our mobileme accounts to iCloud, we are gonna use different @me.com accounts for icloud but we want to keep using the same email account ( yahoo account ) for our apps so we wont have to pay for them twice, is this going to be an issue when iCloud goes live tomorrow ??

If you two are already running iOS 5, you should already know the answer. Make sure under settings, apple store, that the Apple ID used to purchase apps is on all devices.

Under settings, icloud, use me.com addresses or different apple id's. Same with settings, imessage. Use your own id's.

You'd only want to share icloud on well..devices that you exclusively personally use such as an ipad and iphone. And even then, if the ipad is used by more than just you, you probably wouldn't want to share it then.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guacho

alanh

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I just did this with my wife and my new iPhones...

I just switched to iPhone from a Palm Pre, but my wife had been using an iPhone of one ilk or another for a few years (she switched from a 4 and got added back to our family plan). We both got new 4S's and I had to jump through some hoops to get this done. Our iTunes music and apps are under my account.

1. For my iPhone, I set it up as "new" and used my account during setup for iCloud, etc. All of the apps and music installed fine. iTunes, iCloud and Messages are all set to use my ID.

2. For her iPhone, I first tried restoring from an iCloud backup (she had been using my Apple ID on her 4), but that didn't work for us now that I was on an iPhone. The iCloud settings box won't let you override the account email/login. This was problematic as it caused both of our phones to sync my contact data and calendars, which isn't what we want. Also, Find Friends thought that she was me.

3. I started over and set hers up as a new iPhone. Because of this, we have to reinstall apps manually, add data, and rearrange things in the launcher. To get hers setup, here's what I had to do:

1. Set her up with a new iCloud account during initial setup
  2. Go into Settings::Store::Apple ID and "Sign out" of her account and add mine.
  3. Make sure that Settings::Messages::Receive At::Apple ID was her ID. (I think it might have been setup fine, but just be sure, otherwise you end up sharing a single message queue.)
  4. Go to Settings::Siri::My Info and make sure that's set to be her ID.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro