Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Beginner

iOS Version
    iOS 5

Default iCloud vs. Google Sync

I recently migrated from a Droid to an iphone and continue to sync my Gmail contacts and calendar via google sync. I do not back up contacts and calendar on itunes. Now I am confused about what role iCloud plays in all this. Can I continue using Google sync? Can you use Google sync AND iCloud at the same time or is it one or the other? I don't mind having a backup in several locations, but will they all sync with each other each time I make changes, or am I asking for trouble?

If I want to continue using Google exclusively, I assume I will just not toggle MAIL and CALENDAR in the iCloud setup. Is that correct? As I (a bit tech challenged) understand it, iCloud provides the same service as Google Sync but is an Apple product. Can I still use the iCloud for music, podcasts et al if I choose not to sync contacts and calendar?

Thanks for your replies.
    iPhone Beginner

The easy answer to your questions is yes. You can use both, or just one. I don't back up my information on iTunes, being a longtime MobleMe user. I've had great success using this and am looking forward to using iCloud starting tomorrow.

Global Posts
    11,536 Global Posts
    iOS Version

To answer questions...
    Yes
    You can, but I wouldn't
    You could be asking for trouble - contacts, calendars, etc. to both - duplicates, etc.
    Correct.
    Yes
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,004 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jayes View Post
    I recently migrated from a Droid to an iphone and continue to sync my Gmail contacts and calendar via google sync. I do not back up contacts and calendar on itunes. Now I am confused about what role iCloud plays in all this. Can I continue using Google sync? Can you use Google sync AND iCloud at the same time or is it one or the other? I don't mind having a backup in several locations, but will they all sync with each other each time I make changes, or am I asking for trouble?

If I want to continue using Google exclusively, I assume I will just not toggle MAIL and CALENDAR in the iCloud setup. Is that correct? As I (a bit tech challenged) understand it, iCloud provides the same service as Google Sync but is an Apple product. Can I still use the iCloud for music, podcasts et al if I choose not to sync contacts and calendar?

Thanks for your replies.
    Yes
    Yes
    You can, but you will run into problems.
    Yes
    and Yes

Rest in Peace STEVE JOBS
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    877 Global Posts

So far I do not see any duplicates of contacts and I am running both. It gives you an option to merge or not merge contacts ..... and remember iCloud is there for a backup, which is different then what google is for. Google syncs between all devices, cloud from what I have seen will only do this with apps, music, and books.
    Thanked by:
    zackawee27 (10-11-2011)
    zackawee27 likes this.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Beginner

iOS Version
    iOS 5

Thanks all for the replies. I'm still a little fuzzy about all this. Somewhere it was noted the contacts and calendar that icloud can sync must be Outlook so that means my Google contacts would not work anyway. I have XP on my computer which probably means iCloud won't work with my computer. I did just get an ipad2 so can I just sync between the phone and ipad and leave the computer out of the loop? Or do I still need to back up using itunes? And will itunes still have that capability? Can I just ignore iCloud and just use itunes as I have always done. Will I still be able to do OTA updates? And if I did have a Windows 7 computer, what exactly does one see in the cloud? Is it a separate program? I know with Google calendar, you open a web page and see your calendar. Same with contacts. Can you see the contents of the icloud or does it just sync between your phone and ipad?
    iPhone Intermediate

I haven't read this TiPb article yet, but you might want to scan it for any useful info:
    http://www.tipb.com/2011/10/12/daily...rry-iphone-4s/
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

I stick with Google Apps for all syncing. It's a more robust solution anyway, at least for business. Also, by sticking with Google I can throw my SIM in my BB or any other compatible phone and still sync everything without losing a beat. iCloud forces you to remain forever loyal to Uncle Apple.
    Dukins likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    367 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by korp View Post
    So far I do not see any duplicates of contacts and I am running both. It gives you an option to merge or not merge contacts ..... and remember iCloud is there for a backup, which is different then what google is for. Google syncs between all devices, cloud from what I have seen will only do this with apps, music, and books.
    Can you please clarify what steps you took to get this working. I am currently in your boat I think, where I just want to sync my contacts with google, but I don't want to create dupes. Please help.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    797 Global Posts

If you use mostly Apple products, iCloud does the same thing Google Sync does. My contacts/calendars/bookmarks etc are on both my laptops and my iMac seamlessly, and I assume my iPhone 4S will have the same success tomorrow. The only reason to use Google with iCloud is if you use multiple platforms and you prefer google's solution. I still use google sync in order to keep my work machine updated.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    367 Global Posts

I sync my work outlook with google that is the main reason why I still want to use it. I am basically asking how I can enable the sync with google without creating duplicate contacts. Is this something you know how to do?
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

I'm in the same boat with google sync. How do you get contacts and calendar from google to iCloud?
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    iMore Beginner

iOS Version
    iOS 5

For now, I think I am going to keep Google for contacts and calendars. It works. But I learned something yesterday that had been puzzling me. If you go to icloud.com, you can see your back ups. I had read that XP does not support icloud, but I was able to access it. There are 5 icons for specific backups.. contacts, mail, calendar, iphone and iwork. I have other items checked in icloud options on my phone so not sure why there are only 5 icons unless iwork is the backup location for everything else.
    iPhone Nanite

Smile I found the solution!

It is not a big problem for me, but I have found the solution for sync Google and iCloud. It works perfect even in free version.
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  
    iMore Beginner

iOS Version
    iOS 5

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Todd View Post
    It is not a big problem for me, but I have found the solution for sync Google and iCloud. It works perfect even in free version.
    Sadly, I don't have a MAC. Does not work for a PC.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    195 Global Posts

For now, I think I am going to keep Google for contacts and calendars. It works. But I learned something yesterday that had been puzzling me. If you go to icloud.com, you can see your back ups. I had read that XP does not support icloud, but I was able to access it. There are 5 icons for specific backups.. contacts, mail, calendar, iphone and iwork. I have other items checked in icloud options on my phone so not sure why there are only 5 icons unless iwork is the backup location for everything else.
    I think what they mean when they say XP is not supported is that the "plugin" for windows is not supported by XP. I beleive there is a control panel application that gets installed on windows mechines. I think this is what syncs the photostream to the PC. I think you can still visit the website though.

Correct me if im wrong here
  17. Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  
    iMore Beginner

iOS Version
    iOS 5

Yes.. You are correct. Little by little I am learning more and more about ios5 and its new features. Being on Win XP is a bit crippling. I can access iCloud.com but the windows control panel is not compatible with XP. As a work around for Photo Stream access I am using Dropbox to download pics to my camera roll so I can have better control over adding and deleting vs. photo sync via iTunes.
    Appreciate everyone's input and suggestions. Great forum.
    iPhone Nanite

i have been using google sync fine for a while now, but i thought why not pop the contacts in the cloud for a 2nd backup. When i enable contacts in icloud i see an option under the contact app for icloud contacts but nothing ever appears. Under my understanding you can use both, is there something i'm missing?
    iPhone Nanite

or am I asking for trouble?
    As far as I can tell, nope, not at all

Quote Originally Posted by zackawee27 View Post
    You can, but you will run into problems.
    Seeing as I've been syncing to both iCloud and Google since release without the slightest hiccup, I hafta ask: what would those troubles be?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

I suspect part of it depends on how you start. I originally had both my iPhone and my Mac syncing to Google. I switched my Mac (only) to sync with iCloud, so now I sync to both.
    iPhone Newbie

I want to throw this out there and to make sure I am doing this the right and most efficient way:
    I have a gmail account, I use microsoft outlook on my pc, and I use google calendar sync to sync my emails and calendar appointments. I recently bought an iphone 4s(which is by far the best phone I have ever had, previously being palm pre & evo 4g) and now I have gmail and google calendar setup with my iphone account.
    Example:
    I add something to microsoft outlook, I then right click on google sync for it to sync with my google calendar, then I go to my calendar in my iphone and refresh and its there. Also vice versa if I add it to my iphone first.
    So I guess my question is everything seems to be working for me, but is there a more easier/efficient way to be doing this? Thank you in advance for your advice!
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,943 Global Posts
    iOS Version

jamesshaffer - if you add your GMail account on your iPhone as an Exchange account, it will do it for you seamlessly...
    Thanked by:
    jamesrshaffer (10-19-2011)
    iPhone Newbie

how is that different from what I have setup now?
    iPhone Newbie

I do not have a domain.. so I am not sure what you mean? sorry.. just tried it and it was asking for a username and password, which I do not.. am I missing something?
    iPhone Newbie

ok, got the gmail setup as an exchange, pretty instantanious awesome! Now for the calendar, is there an option for my events to get pushed from outlook to iphone w/o having to rightclick on google calendar sync everytime.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast