iCloud vs. Google Sync

jayes

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I recently migrated from a Droid to an iphone and continue to sync my Gmail contacts and calendar via google sync. I do not back up contacts and calendar on itunes. Now I am confused about what role iCloud plays in all this. Can I continue using Google sync? Can you use Google sync AND iCloud at the same time or is it one or the other? I don't mind having a backup in several locations, but will they all sync with each other each time I make changes, or am I asking for trouble?

If I want to continue using Google exclusively, I assume I will just not toggle MAIL and CALENDAR in the iCloud setup. Is that correct? As I (a bit tech challenged) understand it, iCloud provides the same service as Google Sync but is an Apple product. Can I still use the iCloud for music, podcasts et al if I choose not to sync contacts and calendar?

Thanks for your replies.

Dadman

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
The easy answer to your questions is yes. You can use both, or just one. I don't back up my information on iTunes, being a longtime MobleMe user. I've had great success using this and am looking forward to using iCloud starting tomorrow.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
To answer questions...
Yes
You can, but I wouldn't
You could be asking for trouble - contacts, calendars, etc. to both - duplicates, etc.
Correct.
Yes

zackawee27

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I recently migrated from a Droid to an iphone and continue to sync my Gmail contacts and calendar via google sync. I do not back up contacts and calendar on itunes. Now I am confused about what role iCloud plays in all this. Can I continue using Google sync? Can you use Google sync AND iCloud at the same time or is it one or the other? I don't mind having a backup in several locations, but will they all sync with each other each time I make changes, or am I asking for trouble?

If I want to continue using Google exclusively, I assume I will just not toggle MAIL and CALENDAR in the iCloud setup. Is that correct? As I (a bit tech challenged) understand it, iCloud provides the same service as Google Sync but is an Apple product. Can I still use the iCloud for music, podcasts et al if I choose not to sync contacts and calendar?

Thanks for your replies.

Yes
Yes
You can, but you will run into problems.
Yes
and Yes

korp#IM

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
So far I do not see any duplicates of contacts and I am running both. It gives you an option to merge or not merge contacts ..... and remember iCloud is there for a backup, which is different then what google is for. Google syncs between all devices, cloud from what I have seen will only do this with apps, music, and books.

Reactions: zackawee27

jayes

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all for the replies. I'm still a little fuzzy about all this. Somewhere it was noted the contacts and calendar that icloud can sync must be Outlook so that means my Google contacts would not work anyway. I have XP on my computer which probably means iCloud won't work with my computer. I did just get an ipad2 so can I just sync between the phone and ipad and leave the computer out of the loop? Or do I still need to back up using itunes? And will itunes still have that capability? Can I just ignore iCloud and just use itunes as I have always done. Will I still be able to do OTA updates? And if I did have a Windows 7 computer, what exactly does one see in the cloud? Is it a separate program? I know with Google calendar, you open a web page and see your calendar. Same with contacts. Can you see the contents of the icloud or does it just sync between your phone and ipad? :confused:

alphasportstv

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I stick with Google Apps for all syncing. It's a more robust solution anyway, at least for business. Also, by sticking with Google I can throw my SIM in my BB or any other compatible phone and still sync everything without losing a beat. iCloud forces you to remain forever loyal to Uncle Apple.

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
So far I do not see any duplicates of contacts and I am running both. It gives you an option to merge or not merge contacts ..... and remember iCloud is there for a backup, which is different then what google is for. Google syncs between all devices, cloud from what I have seen will only do this with apps, music, and books.

Can you please clarify what steps you took to get this working. I am currently in your boat I think, where I just want to sync my contacts with google, but I don't want to create dupes. Please help.

Kylazin

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
If you use mostly Apple products, iCloud does the same thing Google Sync does. My contacts/calendars/bookmarks etc are on both my laptops and my iMac seamlessly, and I assume my iPhone 4S will have the same success tomorrow. The only reason to use Google with iCloud is if you use multiple platforms and you prefer google's solution. I still use google sync in order to keep my work machine updated.

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I sync my work outlook with google that is the main reason why I still want to use it. I am basically asking how I can enable the sync with google without creating duplicate contacts. Is this something you know how to do?

jayes

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
For now, I think I am going to keep Google for contacts and calendars. It works. But I learned something yesterday that had been puzzling me. If you go to icloud.com, you can see your back ups. I had read that XP does not support icloud, but I was able to access it. There are 5 icons for specific backups.. contacts, mail, calendar, iphone and iwork. I have other items checked in icloud options on my phone so not sure why there are only 5 icons unless iwork is the backup location for everything else.

LooNTooNs

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
For now, I think I am going to keep Google for contacts and calendars. It works. But I learned something yesterday that had been puzzling me. If you go to icloud.com, you can see your back ups. I had read that XP does not support icloud, but I was able to access it. There are 5 icons for specific backups.. contacts, mail, calendar, iphone and iwork. I have other items checked in icloud options on my phone so not sure why there are only 5 icons unless iwork is the backup location for everything else.

I think what they mean when they say XP is not supported is that the "plugin" for windows is not supported by XP. I beleive there is a control panel application that gets installed on windows mechines. I think this is what syncs the photostream to the PC. I think you can still visit the website though.

Correct me if im wrong here

jayes

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes.. You are correct. Little by little I am learning more and more about ios5 and its new features. Being on Win XP is a bit crippling. I can access iCloud.com but the windows control panel is not compatible with XP. As a work around for Photo Stream access I am using Dropbox to download pics to my camera roll so I can have better control over adding and deleting vs. photo sync via iTunes.
Appreciate everyone's input and suggestions. Great forum.

kicko#IM

Oct 6, 2008
Visit site
i have been using google sync fine for a while now, but i thought why not pop the contacts in the cloud for a 2nd backup. When i enable contacts in icloud i see an option under the contact app for icloud contacts but nothing ever appears. Under my understanding you can use both, is there something i'm missing?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I suspect part of it depends on how you start. I originally had both my iPhone and my Mac syncing to Google. I switched my Mac (only) to sync with iCloud, so now I sync to both.