"Backup Size" as reported in Manage Storage

droid42

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

This is my first post here so a quick "Hi" too...

I installed the iOS 5.0 GM on Friday on my iPhone 4 and have played around a little with backing up to iCloud. I've already noticed that backups appear to be incremental (which is good) but I've also noticed that my latest backup size is always reported as 2.0GB, despite "Next Backup Size" being reported as 4.3 GB.

I tried the following:

1. Delete the current backup (my usage on iCloud is then correctly reported as zero)
2. "Backup Now" (which takes a while, as expected for 4.3 GB)
3. After the backup is complete, iCloud reports I'm using 4.3 GB (as expected) but "Backup Size" is still shown as 2.0 GB

Any thoughts? Is this just a simple bug or is there something else going on that I've missed?

Ian.

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
Where exactly are you seeing those numbers? I show 2.8gb used (in iCloud on my phone) and I show 2.8 used in my iCloud PC control panel.

droid42

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Where exactly are you seeing those numbers? I show 2.8gb used (in iCloud on my phone) and I show 2.8 used in my iCloud PC control panel.

Settings / iCloud / Storage & Backup / Manage Storage / Ian's iPhone

"Backup Size" says 2.0 GB

"Next Backup Size" says 4.4 GB

... and the little green bar at the bottom indicates I have 10.6 GB of 15 GB remaining.

The last two numbers tally up but the "2.0 GB" stands out like a sore thumb...

Ian

machank

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Same problem 2.0 GB

I have exactly the same problem. The space taken up by my iPad (1) backups is about 7.8 GB, but it shows the Backup Size as 2.0 GB. My particular situation was that I had some problems with my original restore, and occasionally (as when I lose connection between iTunes-Mac and the iPad or when I have to restart iTunes), I get a message that my last restore did not complete; do I want to continue, etc. I have no idea if that's at all related to my iCloud incorrect Backup Size message but I thought I'd mention it in case others reporting the Backup Size problem might be in a similar situation.

guregorii

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I found that turning off the "backup camera roll" option, then performing a backup, and then turning the camera roll back on solved the problem.