Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Default iCloud and Podcast Subscriptions

I've been playing around with iCloud for a few days and what I've decided to do is iCloud backup as opposed to PC based iTunes backup. But I see one problem with this. What about subscribed podcasts? How do I get new podcasts automatically as they become available? If I have to sync with PC iTunes still for that it kind of defeats the purpose (for me) of iCloud backup.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Unsure how iCloud works with Podcasts, but have you tried any apps like Podcaster to manage them.

New Epioside Notifications, download or stream over wifi or 3G.

I've not used ITunes for podcasts for over 2 years and wouldn't consider going back
    iPhone Newbie

I agree with David_LFC. Once you try those apps you will never want to use iTunes for podcasts again. I personally use iCatcher! but I hear podcaster is good too.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

I've always used Mediafly for podcasts.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Intermediate

Those apps download large podcast to the iPhone. I need offline access to them (when flying).

I can't believe Apple didn't consider podcast subscriptions in their iCloud workflow.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Yes, those apps download podcasts to the iPhone so that you can access them offline, like when flying.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iMore Intermediate

I like Downcast but still think Apple should fix this. I just can't believe it was overlooked.
    iPhone Nanite

Default Podcast subscriptions-big missing piece

I also agree. I am ready to ditch the computer completely and use iCloud but am surprised they didn't think of this. I am a big podcast fan, and currently use the app "Play, Look Listen" on my iphone & ipad because I can start listening on one, and pick up where I left off on the other. But, it does not work for paid subscriptions. Being a big fan of Kim Komando, I have to do an itunes sync to get her podcast. I also like the built in player more visually-and would be so pleased to see them resolve this issue or if someone could find a workaround (not including a jailbreak option) I would love to hear it!
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

Default Wrestling with same Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Dailykaffee View Post
    I also agree. I am ready to ditch the computer completely and use iCloud but am surprised they didn't think of this. I am a big podcast fan, and currently use the app "Play, Look Listen" on my iphone & ipad because I can start listening on one, and pick up where I left off on the other. But, it does not work for paid subscriptions. Being a big fan of Kim Komando, I have to do an itunes sync to get her podcast. I also like the built in player more visually-and would be so pleased to see them resolve this issue or if someone could find a workaround (not including a jailbreak option) I would love to hear it!
    Am also a Kim Komando fan who can no longer sync with my current itunes desktop library. Have you found an app that manages paid subscriptions? How about InstaCast?
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Until the Apple podcast app is fixed I prefer . Works really well with subscriptions.
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    567 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I use the podcast app and I don't see what the problem is. It seems to update just fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by Dwaynewilliams View Post
    I use the podcast app and I don't see what the problem is. It seems to update just fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    It is filled with bugs. I could probably sit here for a long while describing all of the bugs I and many others encounter. From telling me a podcast from April is the latest episode randomly, locking up upon opening the app, losing my place in a podcast if I stop it and go back to it later, the list goes on and on. This app was pushed out prematurely for developers who are on iOS 6 since Apple removed podcasts from the iPod app. In time the bugs will get fixed and it will be a great app. Until then, I'd say avoid it.

Global Posts
    3,339 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

I just stopped using it because it won't sync subscriptions between my iPhone and iPad. And when I try
    to subscribe to a certain podcast, the stupid subscribe button only shows up when it feels like.

I just stick with DownCast which uses iCloud to sync between both of my devices and works flawlessly.