Should I Create a separate apple id?

vinnyv11

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
So with the release of the new Iphone 4S I will be upgrading and giving my wife my current iphone 4. My question really is two fold in that I am not sure if I should create a new apple id for her phone or if there is a way to keep the same apple id. My concerns are 1. how do I make sure we both have access to music purchsed/in our library 2. if we keep the same apple id will we have syncing issues with mail/calender/contacts etc.

I know if we have the same apple id then she'll have access to all the music purchased and apps purchased but I really don't want her email/calender/contacts on my phone. Is there a way in icloud to limit what sync's and to what devices? Can you create a sepearte icloud account for the same apple id? Not sure the best way to handle this.

I apologize if this has been asked/answered.

zackawee27

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
So with the release of the new Iphone 4S I will be upgrading and giving my wife my current iphone 4. My question really is two fold in that I am not sure if I should create a new apple id for her phone or if there is a way to keep the same apple id. My concerns are 1. how do I make sure we both have access to music purchsed/in our library 2. if we keep the same apple id will we have syncing issues with mail/calender/contacts etc.

I know if we have the same apple id then she'll have access to all the music purchased and apps purchased but I really don't want her email/calender/contacts on my phone. Is there a way in icloud to limit what sync's and to what devices? Can you create a sepearte icloud account for the same apple id? Not sure the best way to handle this.

I apologize if this has been asked/answered.

I think you can make different accounts in Cloud as long as you label them differently :) good luck

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Use the same iTunes account so that you don't have to purchase every app/song twice.

Sync your iPhones to different computers. Or sync your PIM data to iCloud or Google. (I'd go with Google to avoid worrying about the whole howmanyaccounts thing.)

Nuttz565

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm kind of in the same boat as you and here is what I currently do(not sure if iCloud will allow this or not) So my wife and I both have iPhones and share the same Apple ID. Now I use exchange for Gmail and I like are calendars to be in sync. So on my phone I have a exchange account with her info but all I have turned on is the calender part(I turned off the contacts and email) So hopefully with iCloud there is a workaround similar to this:)

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
I'm in the exact same situation (I'm getting iP4S & wife is getting my iP4). here is what I plan on doing since playing with the gold masters for a few days.

I'll create an apple ID for her but most likely will not use it.

We will both sync Calendars, Contacts, Mail through Google. We are both set up with it and have had those email addresses for some time and don't want to switch. BTW in iCloud you can turn on/off each of those just like any exchange account on the iPhone.

We will both log in to iCloud with my ID. I have had this account setup for MANY years and we both have music purchases on this ID. iCloud looks like it will backup each phone separately so backups shouldn't be a problem.

One thing I haven't figured out yet is how podcasts (subscriptions) work with iCloud backup. Prior to iCloud backup as we all know, whenever you would sync with iTunes you'd get all your new podcasts. Now with iCloud backup I don't see how that's happening because it's doing a backup not a sync.

Last edited:

Nuttz565

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
The wife and I both have iPhone 4's. She uses my Apple ID so we don't have to re buy apps. Now can you please explain to me why it would be beneficial for her to create her own Apple ID for iCloud? I still want to share the same Apple ID(for music and apps) but Im a bit confused on the best way to go about doing this. Thanks

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
If you share the same iCloud id and use photo sync, any pictures you take will end up on each others devices for one...

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
The wife and I both have iPhone 4's. She uses my Apple ID so we don't have to re buy apps. Now can you please explain to me why it would be beneficial for her to create her own Apple ID for iCloud? I still want to share the same Apple ID(for music and apps) but Im a bit confused on the best way to go about doing this. Thanks

The only reason she would need to create her own ID is to have separate Email, Calendars, Contacts, Reminders, Notes, Photostream, Find My iPhone. All of these are available from other sources like Google & Yahoo except for Find My iPhone and Photostream. If you are going to outsource these then she doesn't need her own ID, you just need to figure out what's more important, access to shared purchases OR having Apple manage the above services instead of Google or Yahoo.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
My wife doesn't like the fact you can't delete pics from photostream.

If you want to back up to icloud, i don't really see how you can avoid not paying to upgrade your storage on it.

So far, this is more of a bust for me. I suppose i could use itunes match but don't see a need for it. But not feeling the icloud love until we can manage that space online.

jon01

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
i have 4 devices, my iPhone 4s (pre ordered), wife iPhone 4 (my old iPhone) son has a iPod touch 4g and we have an iPad 2 as well. i was going to make an iCloud account for each device for backups and use my regular apple id that has all my purchases. thats not possible?

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
For now I have Photostream turned off because I don't want all the crap picture getting uploaded. When I take pics there are usually a bunch of duplicates that I edit out and I don't want all those taking up space and bandwidth. I keep a pretty clean camera roll and off load most pics to my computer (no wireless option for that yet). With just a few pics in my cameraroll my backup was 100mb with everything turned on to backup.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
You can erase all the images in your photo stream from the website, just not individual images.

From apple.com. Apple - iCloud - New photos on all your devices.

iCloud manages your Photo Stream efficiently so you don?t run out of storage space on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. If you have Photo Stream enabled on your iOS device, every single photo you take appears in a special Photo Stream album that holds your last 1000 photos. You can?t edit or delete photos from your Photo Stream.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
i have 4 devices, my iPhone 4s (pre ordered), wife iPhone 4 (my old iPhone) son has a iPod touch 4g and we have an iPad 2 as well. i was going to make an iCloud account for each device for backups and use my regular apple id that has all my purchases. thats not possible?

I too would like confirmation of this- If anyone has any answers that would be great

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
You cannot delete individual photos from photo stream, however you can erase them all. I've done it a dozen times in testing

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
I just turned on Photostream to play with it a little but I don't see anywhere to manage pics to delete them all in iCloud. Where do I delete all?

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
I got it. Turn Photostream off and back on in settings on the iPhone.
OOPS no I didn't get it. When I turn Photostream back on the pics show up again

Last edited:

diamonddialogue

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I too would like confirmation of this- If anyone has any answers that would be great

You would have to have the same iCloud account set up on each device. Separate ID's would be an easy way to have 20GB of iCloud space for one person, so I imagine it would NOT sync all your data as iCloud is meant to. That's my hypothesis after 5 months of using it on my iPad 2 and iPhone 4.

Cheers.

nanohits

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I also have a developer account but havent used iCloud yet. However I have pre ordered the iPhone 4S but till now my IP4 and the iPad2 have been syncing on my Mac Pro at home, however I will be travelling. Question is if I put all this up on iCloud now, when the Iphone 4S arrives and Im travelling on my laptop can I just use iCloud to sync everything and it will be just like my iPhone 4 which I sync at home?

Any help would be appreciated.

diamonddialogue

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
iCloud backups take place when your phone/tablet is locked and charging. You can also start it yourself, but the process is so battery draining that, so far, it has only worked while plugged in (and Apple suggests you do it while charging and leaving the device alone for a bit). Most successful backups happen when I didn't even intend to back it up. Once that's done, yes, iTunes backups will become unnecessary.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods