Is it really pc-mac free?

iSurf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
All i have is an iphone 4 and a macbook pro to sync, i would like to get rid of my mac because i need the money. Can i do that now that icloud is coming?
A long time ago i had a phone called te sidekick and when aomething happend and i got a new one all i had to do was put in my name /password and i got everything back. Is this how icloud is supposed to work? Why are they only holding pictures for 30 days if icloud is supposed to make things pc free? What if i lose it? Anyeay i just want to have the iphone an nothing else for now. Thanks!

B

bonesb

No worries...

I'm a dev - Apple's made Windows-specific iCloud installers, so you're covered with a caveat - they're Win 7 only - no XP or Vista (yet?) - Safari, iTunes, Control Panel, each seems to work well.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
No. You will always need a computer (Mac or pc). There's no other mechanism for installing things like ringtones (unless you buy them from iTunes), or music/video that's not purchased directly from iTunes. And how else can you use File Sharing to install (d'oh!) files, if not through iTunes...which requires a computer running iTunes.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Since iOS 5 is not yet shipping, it's hard to tell what the exact limitations will be, but the intent is to allow people full functionality without requiring computer ownership.

-t

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Since iOS 5 is not yet shipping, it's hard to tell what the exact limitations will be, but the intent is to allow people full functionality without requiring computer ownership.

-t

Even if you could use iCloud for anything and everything - you'd need a computer to get it there and then to your iOS device. So the answer remains that for any content not originating in the iTunes store, you will need a computer.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Apple Stores will be providing free update services to install iOS 5 on anyone's device that needs it, and new devices will be shipping with iOS 5 in another couple of weeks so that will no longer be an issue.

-t

iSurf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
"Do more with your apps ? like editing your photos or adding new email folders ? on your device, without the need for a Mac or PC. And back up and restore your device automatically using iCloud."

i think apple answered my question, thank God!!

FritzDaCat

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Apple Stores will be providing free update services to install iOS 5 on anyone's device that needs it, and new devices will be shipping with iOS 5 in another couple of weeks so that will no longer be an issue.

-t

VERY happy to hear that-- if true-- since my Mac is outdated. Does anyone know if I would be able to access music previously purchased through iTunes that is currently on my outdated Mac and iPod Nano? Hope that's within the subject of this thread~

zackawee27

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
VERY happy to hear that-- if true-- since my Mac is outdated. Does anyone know if I would be able to access music previously purchased through iTunes that is currently on my outdated Mac and iPod Nano? Hope that's within the subject of this thread~

Maybe you can, save all of what you want to you're iPhone then, make a back-up on the new iTunes. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2